Upcoming/Rumored Projects

bubbles1812

I have looked for this thread but have not seen an answer to this question so can someone please help me?

Every now and again I see someone make a reference to "Brazilian Tour Groups" and problems they cause at WDW. The gist of what I have seen is that people say these groups shoplift and pickpocket in the parks.

Is this true?

If so, why does Disney allow them to come do this?

Can someone explain what people mean when they refer negatively to "Brazilian Tour Groups"? The way I have seen this used is in sentences where someone will say, "Those people are behaving like a Brazilian Tour Group" or "That shop was such a mess it looked like a Brazilian Tour Group had been in there".

Does anyone know the history of when "Brazilian Tour Group" became a known negative at WDW? I don't see this referred to at DLR at all.

I have never seen anyone claim that...

They are just annoying. They yell and chant while walking, while they are in queue, while they are on the ride (at every point, even the points where its honestly not that appropriate). One person will often save a spot in line and then suddenly 50+ of them appear and suddenly you are 50 people back from where you were. They really just aren't that respectful of American customs period. Not saying all Brazilian tour groups are like that but it happens more often than not.

Californian Elitist

I don't see this referred to at DLR at all.

DLR gets groups from Asia. I've never once seen a Brazilian tour group at Disneyland. The other international tourists we get are Australians. A LOT of them and they're so nice. If they never spoke you would think they were regular guests. A lot of the guests at Disneyland are Americans.

menamechris

I have never seen anyone claim that...

They are just annoying. They yell and chant while walking, while they are in queue, while they are on the ride (at every point, even the points where its honestly not that appropriate). One person will often save a spot in line and then suddenly 50+ of them appear and suddenly you are 50 people back from where you were. They really just aren't that respectful of American customs period. Not saying all Brazilian tour groups are like that but it happens more often than not.

Unfortunately - this is entirely accurate. And they have descended on the resort for the summer. Unfortunately, they bring in a lot of money, so much so that Disney is working with the government to make it easier for them to get over here. I don't have any problem with tour groups - but I do have a problem with general disrespect. Unfortunately, all the Disney suits can hear is "cha-ching"...

Patricia Melton

Unfortunately - this is entirely accurate. And they have descended on the resort for the summer. Unfortunately, they bring in a lot of money, so much so that Disney is working with the government to make it easier for them to get over here. I don't have any problem with tour groups - but I do have a problem with general disrespect. Unfortunately, all the Disney suits can hear is "cha-ching"...

I still don't understand what's so bad about these people.

Is it just that they are loud?

I'm a big fan of cooking shows and one thing I notice these shows do is to encourage Hispanic and South American people to be very loud. Every other word has to be shouted. It gets pretty clownish. Even if the people on the shows don't want to make fools of themselves, the hosts will correct their pronunciation of a word and make them say it really loud and with odd inflection. It's the strangest thing. But the TV encourages this and makes it seem like people from South and Central America are just supposed to be loud always.

The cutting in line should not be allowed, period. So if they are doing that, then someone needs to get a cast member involved and let them know so that you can get ahead of that big group. I would complain to City Hall about it.

I'm glad to hear they are not really stealing and pickpocketing. Some people are very cryptic when they post on forums so they just keep saying "Brazilian Tour Group" or "BTG" for short and leave a lot of things to implying. What would make people think they were involved in shoplifting too if all they are doing is just being loud and cutting in line?

menamechris

I still don't understand what's so bad about these people.

Is it just that they are loud?

The cutting in line should not be allowed, period. So if they are doing that, then someone needs to get a cast member involved and let them know so that you can get ahead of that big group. I would complain to City Hall about it.

An example from my weekend - Would you like to experience The Haunted Mansion with a group of 30-40 people chanting throughout it? That was my experience this last weekend. How about while chatting with your friends on Main Street waiting for the fireworks - you have to scream at each other to hear over their chanting, singing, and screaming. It's just rude. There is no other definition. And I can't imagine that if WDW was in their country they would find it acceptable for me and my American friends to go and carry on in that way either.

As far as complain about any of it. Sure, go to City Hall - they will probably apologize and offer you a FastPass of your choice. It's difficult for cast members to do reallyh anything about it given the number of them and the fact that most don't speak English. Thankfully, they are pretty isolated to the summertime.

Patricia Melton

An example from my weekend - Would you like to experience The Haunted Mansion with a group of 30-40 people chanting throughout it? That was my experience this last weekend. How about while chatting with your friends on Main Street waiting for the fireworks - you have to scream at each other to hear over their chanting, singing, and screaming. It's just rude. There is no other definition. And I can't imagine that if WDW was in their country they would find it acceptable for me and my American friends to go and carry on in that way either.

As far as complain about any of it. Sure, go to City Hall - they will probably apologize and offer you a FastPass of your choice. It's difficult for cast members to do reallyh anything about it given the number of them and the fact that most don't speak English. Thankfully, they are pretty isolated to the summertime.

Not to belabor this, but can you describe what you mean by chanting?

I'm having trouble understanding this as I have never seen one of these groups in person.

Chanting to me is like Rosemary's Baby when they were chanting magic spells...or the Gregorian chants that were popular for a minute in the late 90s.

Chanting also reminds me of mass, where people would chant religious hymns. Is that what the Brazilians are doing?

Does anyone know what they are chanting? Is it spells or hymns or are they saying something like sporting event cheers...like "Who's the group that is the best? Brazilians put all others to rest. Who's the group that's here to stay? Brazilian group has come to play!". Is that the kind of chanting you mean?

bubbles1812

Chris' experience is exactly what I meant by inappropriate yelling.... and they do it on every single ride. They could be on Peter Pan's flight and be screaming their heads off or in Philharmagic or in any ride. I think someone mentioned in another thread that you often can't hear the dialogue on the rides because the chanting is so loud/bad. Or they'll do it on the bus back to the resort at 11 or 12 at night when everyone is dead tired and kids are attempting to sleep in Daddy's arms.

When we say loud...I don't think you are quite understand what we mean by loud. It's being loud at inappropriate times to to the point of excess.

It City Hall would unfortunately do...not much. The tour groups make them money so they don't enforce much by way of rules. And most of the CMs don't have the balls to say something.

Patricia Melton

This. And this is tame. Same idea though.

Are you serious?

That's INSANE.

Does anyone speak Portugues who can tell us what they are chanting?

Another thing that's interesting: there's such generational shift when it comes to YouTube and videos. I don't want to give away my exact age, but I was born when Eisenhower was president. I have a camera built into my phone but my brain just does not think to take it out and film anything. A spaceship could land and I could have a 30 minute conversation with my favorite Martian and it would not occur to me to tape any of it. My son, however, would have whipped the phone out the first second he spotted anything unusual and would have put it on YouTube.

It would also never have occurred to me to look for footage of the chanting on YouTube.

I'm grateful you posted it because I have never seen anything like it.

Now, I want to know what these nutters are SAYING.

invader

Are you serious?

That's INSANE.

Does anyone speak Portugues who can tell us what they are chanting?

Another thing that's interesting: there's such generational shift when it comes to YouTube and videos. I don't want to give away my exact age, but I was born when Eisenhower was president. I have a camera built into my phone but my brain just does not think to take it out and film anything. A spaceship could land and I could have a 30 minute conversation with my favorite Martian and it would not occur to me to tape any of it. My son, however, would have whipped the phone out the first second he spotted anything unusual and would have put it on YouTube.

It would also never have occurred to me to look for footage of the chanting on YouTube.

I'm grateful you posted it because I have never seen anything like it.

Now, I want to know what these nutters are SAYING.
I interpret a bit, I think they were saying something like "Wheres Harry Potter?! We want Harry Potter!!" I tend to be off sometimes though..

Taylor

Taking away all the other inaccuracies in this post that have been covered already (languages, and the fact that even if they did speak the same language it would somehow make them the same --hello UK and USA you English speaking countries) I want to highlight this (bolded).
Just off the top of my head:
Rio De Janeiro (The favelas, christ the redeemer, the beaches, etc)
Foz do Iguaçu
The Amazon River and Rainforest

Nothing special. Just like Mexico. Move along, nothing to see here...
If I ever go to brazil all I will think about will be the simpsons episode :)

lmg

I do understand why you are complaining about "brazilian groups", BUT the people on the video aren't from Brazil. I THINK they are speaking spanish, but I can't understand a single word.

Ah, I'm brazilian...and by the way, I can barely understand spanish!

And for those who think there's nothing to see here in Brazil, honestly, just go to google. There are some serious problems here (however it's not as close as in the simpsons episode ok?), but lack of things to see isn't one of them.

Taylor

I do understand why you are complaining about "brazilian groups", BUT the people on the video aren't from Brazil. I THINK they are speaking spanish, but I can't understand a single word.

And for those who think there's nothing to see here in Brazil, honestly, just go to google. There are some serious problems here (however it's not as close as in the simpsons episode ok?), but lack of things to see isn't one of them.
Brazilian tourism is on the rise and it will continue til the 2016 Olympics that event will spike interest in brazil and could cause them to get somewhat of a presence at Epcot. Maybe

Patricia Melton

IMG --

If you are from Brazil, can you please explain the chanting?

Why do the kids from Brazil do that? Is it something you do all the time in Brazil? Or is it just something young people from Brazil do when they are on a trip?

Can you tell me anything about why these kids are making so much noise when out on a trip?

Is being loud and chanting in public like this just part of life in Brazil?

What do Brazilians think when they see other people being quiet?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I would really like to understand why this phenomenon is happening.

Patricia Melton

Not a phenomenon. Just what they do...err...most do. I wouldn't read too much into it...or look for some deep meaning.

I'd really like to know how people in Brazil would react if the kids did this in line at the grocery store or something. Is this part of their culture, to do this....or is it just something they do when they go on a trip?

I am fascinated by this and the cultural origins of it.

I've never seen anything like this with people from the States and I've never witnessed other groups of foreign people doing it.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
I have looked for this thread but have not seen an answer to this question so can someone please help me?

Every now and again I see someone make a reference to "Brazilian Tour Groups" and problems they cause at WDW. The gist of what I have seen is that people say these groups shoplift and pickpocket in the parks.

Is this true?

If so, why does Disney allow them to come do this?

Can someone explain what people mean when they refer negatively to "Brazilian Tour Groups"? The way I have seen this used is in sentences where someone will say, "Those people are behaving like a Brazilian Tour Group" or "That shop was such a mess it looked like a Brazilian Tour Group had been in there".

Does anyone know the history of when "Brazilian Tour Group" became a known negative at WDW? I don't see this referred to at DLR at all.

The complaints that I usually have center around large groups of people that aren't following directions by the cast members or are hovering around standby or fastpass queues blocking the entrance. I don’t know that Brazilian tour groups are any worse than an other tour group, for me the problems persist with that large group environment.

Here’s an example of one of my co-hosts having fun with it (granted this is an Italian tour group)

I interpret a bit, I think they were saying something like "Wheres Harry Potter?! We want Harry Potter!!" I tend to be off sometimes though..
That's pretty funny actually.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Most of the "Brazilian Tour Groups go to Disney World, that's why you don't really see it referred to at DLR.
Correct. Flights from Brazil to Florida are going to be MUCH cheaper than flying to California (4300 miles vs. 6300 miles for the flight, as the crow flies from Rio).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom