Upcoming/Rumored Projects

_Scar

Alot of the millenium stuff was removed though including the Isreali ride

Even if the exhibit is permanent (which it ain't) it still doesn't count as a real ride. It would be like saying Aladdin VR ride was a real Epcot attraction (it wasnt)

Don't be ignorant

That's why they're called attractions. :hammer:

jedimaster1227

Yes Tony was.

Oh, by the way, using the first names of Imagineers to make yourself sound like an insider or mentioning that you have met Joe (who hasn't) has really started to wear thin. I'm not buying it.

So who is manufacturing the robot arm tech for the new Innoventions attraction CaPD? Because we know it can't be Kuka, right? :shrug:

KUKA is still providing the robocoaster systems for The Sum of All Thrills. The terms of the Universal exclusivity contract (as far as I know) are bound by the Florida borders, meaning that it only affects parks within the state. The tracked robocoaster system employed by Universal for their upcoming Harry Potter attraction will be the only Florida based installation of the technology (which as far as I've been told is influenced by the supposed five-year contract set for the system). KUKA can still install the tracked ride system in non-Florida parks (as far as I've been told) and it can install the stationary version of the robocoaster at any time, as this system is not affected by the contract.

Thats not an attraction its a temporary exhibit

This exclusive thing has precedent. Disney signed a deal with Imax for the Soarin' tech which prevented Universal from making Jurassic Park Helicoptours. But of course like any good modern nutjob you will continue to ignore what im saying and just keep spouting the same bs over and over.

1. Permanent or temporary, an attraction is still an attraction.
2. I hate to tell you this but Soarin' had nothing to do with the demise of the short-lived JP concept, nor did IMAX. The technology is out there, and is available to buyers in all markets, including those that compete with Disney. Regardless of the "wow-factor" associated with Soarin's ride system, the attraction can (and will be) easily emulated in non-Disney parks in the near future, with or without IMAX attached to the press release.

Alot of the millenium stuff was removed though including the Isreali ride

Even if the exhibit is permanent (which it ain't) it still doesn't count as a real ride. It would be like saying Aladdin VR ride was a real Epcot attraction (it wasnt)

Don't be ignorant

I don't believe there is a book of rules regarding what constitutes an attraction and what doesn't (if there is, I'd be very interested to read it). The Millennium Village and its included exhibits were all attractions in their own right, as is the Aladdin VR experience that was first tested at Epcot and now resides within DisneyQuest. Just because you don't find a specific asset of a park to be of value, it doesn't mean that the experience in question has lost its status as an attraction.

I wouldn't exactly call someone ignorant for considering a temporary exhibit to be meritless in the category of attractions, especially when your claim is strongly influenced by opinion, rather than fact. There is a difference between conflicting opinions and ignorance in the face of fact--and I think you aren't seeing that line clearly here... :animwink:

WDW1974

KUKA is still providing the robocoaster systems for The Sum of All Thrills. The terms of the Universal exclusivity contract (as far as I know) are bound by the Florida borders, meaning that it only affects parks within the state. The tracked robocoaster system employed by Universal for their upcoming Harry Potter attraction will be the only Florida based installation of the technology (which as far as I've been told is influenced by the supposed five-year contract set for the system). KUKA can still install the tracked ride system in non-Florida parks (as far as I've been told) and it can install the stationary version of the robocoaster at any time, as this system is not affected by the contract.

I've heard two versions of what you are saying above. One is in complete agreement and one differs only in that it also includes parks in Southern California ... in other words, UNI doesn't want to see this tech in the hands of Disney or Knott's etc ... But I honestly don't know the real deal. I'm fairly certain it is one or a combo ...

I wonder where whylightbulb is ... he'd know!

jedimaster1227

I've heard two versions of what you are saying above. One is in complete agreement and one differs only in that it also includes parks in Southern California ... in other words, UNI doesn't want to see this tech in the hands of Disney or Knott's etc ... But I honestly don't know the real deal. I'm fairly certain it is one or a combo ...

I wonder where whylightbulb is ... he'd know!

I had been told that California wasn't included in the deal because most of their capital will be invested in the Transformers attraction, thus removing the need for the installation of a major KUKA Robocoaster-based ride.

But again, thats just what I've been told.

WDW1974

I had been told that California wasn't included in the deal because most of their capital will be invested in the Transformers attraction, thus removing the need for the installation of a major KUKA Robocoaster-based ride.

But again, thats just what I've been told.

That makes sense ... UNI doesn't add big scale attractions in Hollywood that often due to space and being an actual studio.

Speaking of Transformers, I am not a fan of the franchise at all ... but I am looking forward to the attraction.

jedimaster1227

That makes sense ... UNI doesn't add big scale attractions in Hollywood that often due to space and being an actual studio.

Speaking of Transformers, I am not a fan of the franchise at all ... but I am looking forward to the attraction.

I was quite pleased with both Transformers films and was certainly excited to see this franchise being taken advantage of as an asset within the Universal parks--I'm just a little jealous that we won't be seeing it on our side of the country. As much as I love Spiderman, I can't help but to wish we could see the Transformers join us at Universal Orlando (and not in musical show form--taking note from Spiderman Rocks and Creature from the Black Lagoon: The Musical).

WDWFigment

I still don't understand the notion that Universal has exclusive theme parks rights to this technology.

Especially since when you visit Robocoaster's website they have a whole page devoted to "Large Theme Park Solutions".

It just doesn't make good business sense for a company such as KUKA or others to sign an exclusivity deal basically squelching any other use of their whole division.

How doesn't it make sense? Sign an exclusivity contract worth more than your profit on the combined total of other projects. Getting paid more or the same amount but doing less work--that's a brilliant business move!

It's in Universal's best interests to pay more because it prevents competitors from creating copycats of a 'game breaking' attraction.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
How doesn't it make sense? Sign an exclusivity contract worth more than your profit on the combined total of other projects. Getting paid more or the same amount but doing less work--that's a brilliant business move!

It's in Universal's best interests to pay more because it prevents competitors from creating copycats of a 'game breaking' attraction.

I cannot see Universal paying THAT much. (And they didn't)

It has already been reported that it's only a "Florida exclusivity" contract for a mere five years. That's a BIG difference.

The Conundrum

Perhaps I should have made it more clear that the exclusive was for the track-based KUKA arm not the generic stationary version.

1. Permanent or temporary, an attraction is still an attraction.
2. I hate to tell you this but Soarin' had nothing to do with the demise of the short-lived JP concept, nor did IMAX. The technology is out there, and is available to buyers in all markets, including those that compete with Disney. Regardless of the "wow-factor" associated with Soarin's ride system, the attraction can (and will be) easily emulated in non-Disney parks in the near future, with or without IMAX attached to the press release.

I do know that Disney had an exclusive on the tech for at least 5-7 years. Considering the ride opened in 2001 and it is now 2009 that contract has no doubt expired by now. But it did exist at one point.

I don't believe there is a book of rules regarding what constitutes an attraction and what doesn't (if there is, I'd be very interested to read it). The Millennium Village and its included exhibits were all attractions in their own right, as is the Aladdin VR experience that was first tested at Epcot and now resides within DisneyQuest. Just because you don't find a specific asset of a park to be of value, it doesn't mean that the experience in question has lost its status as an attraction.

I wouldn't exactly call someone ignorant for considering a temporary exhibit to be meritless in the category of attractions, especially when your claim is strongly influenced by opinion, rather than fact. There is a difference between conflicting opinions and ignorance in the face of fact--and I think you aren't seeing that line clearly here... :animwink:

As far as I know when Aladdin VR and the Isreali attraction were open at Epcot Disney did NOT market them as attractions. They were more of a bonus once you were in the gate. I do not believe Disney will be marketing the Raytheon exhibit either aside from a press release. You will not be seeing it promoted on the cover of park maps, used in information pamphlets, commercials, etc. That is all i'm saying. Of course technically it is an attraction but it is not an attraction in the same way that Soarin, Living with the land, Snow White, Dumbo and Peter Pan are attractions and it will not be marketed as such.

It has nothing to do with opinion.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
Well I know for years Tony was working on the robot arm tech which was snatched by Universal. Since this quote is from 2008 I have no idea what hes talking about.

They gave up EMV?!:eek: Great ride vehicle! If they did-why? They had an edge,and they gave it up!:(

A while ago I had heard about a water based EMV? I'm not sur eof the practical uses of it, but was this some fanboi's dream or did this actually exist?

As far as I know when Aladdin VR and the Isreali attraction were open at Epcot Disney did NOT market them as attractions. They were more of a bonus once you were in the gate. I do not believe Disney will be marketing the Raytheon exhibit either aside from a press release. You will not be seeing it promoted on the cover of park maps, used in information pamphlets, commercials, etc. That is all i'm saying. Of course technically it is an attraction but it is not an attraction in the same way that Soarin, Living with the land, Snow White, Dumbo and Peter Pan are attractions and it will not be marketed as such.

It has nothing to do with opinion.

This is what I'm expecting as well - I imagine it won't be advertised, much like Stormstruck wasn't really advertised.

The Conundrum

There is one thing to say here, and that is FAIL.:lol::lookaroun

Not really because I doubt Disney is going to build an attraction using a track based kuka arm. Even if they decided to build one the second the contrat was over (which they won't) it would still be a minimum of three years before it would see the light of day.

misterID

The Mysterious Island thing got me curious, so I talked to a pretty reliable source and since the INSIDERS here seem to be in the know I was wondering if you could confirm/deny what I heard.

Up until 2013 these are the projected plans for The World, with 2012 being the key year to unveil/build them:

The New Fantasy Land with The Little Mermaid by 2012, Star Tours 2 by 2011-12, and Mysterious Island is being planned for Animal Kingdom but nothing is happening before 2012.

And that's it for Disney World for the 2013 plans.

Plans for DCA, new Theme Parks for China and Disneyland Paris, and Cruise Ships has left 'the world' out in the cold compared to what's happening for 'the land'.

Monster's Inc. Ride isn't happening and Radiator Springs isn't coming to the Studios, either.

EPCOT is what I'm most disappointed with. Its getting nothing until after at least 2013, unless it gets the new Soarin' before then, which isn't a guarantee. There are plans for a World Showcase refurb... At some point. I didn't hear anything about the new Imagination, though, which is what I was most interested about.

yeti

EPCOT is what I'm most disappointed with. Its getting nothing until after at least 2013, unless it gets the new Soarin' before then, which isn't a guarantee. There are plans for a World Showcase refurb... At some point. I didn't hear anything about the new Imagination, though, which is what I was most interested about.

I think Epcot could get Soarin' 2.0 in 2013. :shrug:

EPCOT Explorer

Not really because I doubt Disney is going to build an attraction using a track based kuka arm. Even if they decided to build one the second the contrat was over (which they won't) it would still be a minimum of three years before it would see the light of day.
What about the Kuka exhibit in Innoventions?:lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom