Universe of Energy being unrepainted!

EPCOT Explorer

My guess it was just a test coat. Now they have made a decision and will fix any cracks etc before the final coat goes on. So will it be back to the future :sohappy: or rainbow brite :hurl:?
Well...seeing that they made the first stripe red, that would be one hell of a clash if they painted both ribs and stripes.

jt04

Well...seeing that they made the first stripe red, that would be one hell of a clash if they painted both ribs and stripes.

If they were just doing a color test they could decide either way. So I am not totally convinced which way they will go. Reason says the original color scheme was futuristic and complimented the architecture but recent trends are that Epcot is more about bright colors and characters. A lot of people think we have been reduced to talking about the mundane here but this really is an important management decision about the future of FutureWorld.

So we wait anxiously...................:lookaroun

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
Hmmmm..Why repaint and THEN repair?

I assume they know what they are doing. :lookaroun

Universe of Energy is the coolest ride system in EPCOT.

Word.

My guess it was just a test coat. Now they have made a decision and will fix any cracks etc before the final coat goes on. So will it be back to the future :sohappy: or rainbow brite :hurl:?

I would think they are going with the red-to-yellow paint scheme, seeing as they've painted each of the left ribs gray, and already done something to one of the middle (I think it used to be light green) ribs on the right side. It's off-color, and it doesn't have the triangle shape within it anymore.

EPCOT Explorer

I assume they know what they are doing. :lookaroun

Word.

I would think they are going with the red-to-yellow paint scheme, seeing as they've already done something to one of the middle (I think it used to be light green) ribs on the right side. It's off-color, and it doesn't have the triangle shape within it anymore.
Since when!?:lol::rolleyes:

And I have NO idea what you are referring too...Weren't they solid colors?

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
Since when!?:lol::rolleyes:

And I have NO idea what you are referring too...Weren't they solid colors?

I'd actually noticed that first, a couple of weeks ago, before anything had ever been done to the left side.

Take a look:

72370896pjpJUv_fs.jpg

Each of those ribs has a triangle of a lighter shade pointing in towards the front of the pavilion. Right now (well, yesterday, who knows if they've done anything today) of them in the middle (either the light green or light blue one) has had something done to it. I'll try getting a good picture of it next time I'm there, if it's still like that.

EPCOT Explorer

I'd actually noticed that first, a couple of weeks ago, before anything had ever been done to the left side.

Take a look:

72370896pjpJUv_fs.jpg

Each of those ribs has a triangle of a lighter shade pointing in towards the front of the pavilion. Right now (well, yesterday, who knows if they've done anything today) of them in the middle (either the light green or light blue one) has had something done to it. I'll try getting a good picture of it next time I'm there, if it's still like that.
Oh, like one was lighter, one darker? I think I know what you are talking about. It's like a lighting effect.

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
Oh, like one was lighter, one darker? I think I know what you are talking about. It's like a lighting effect.

No. Look:

1174655.jpg

Each of the ribs is not (or was not) a pure solid color, there's a triangle of a lighter shade in it. One of those ribs on the right side, in the middle, has had something done to it, like they've covered it with primer or something. It's not the bright shade of blue or green or whatever that it used to be, and it's all one shade, no visible triangle.

imagineer boy

Here's a few thoughts for improving UOE:

*extend the dinosaur sequence

*add some sequences where you travel through an oil rig and through a coal mine

*For the finale, have it be like Horizons where you watch the movie on an Omnimax screen. That would truly add another level to the ride.

WDW1974

UoE is tired, stale and not worth seeing anymore.

It needs far more than exterior paint.

And with energy never more relevant Disney really needs to update the thing ... sure, leave the dinos because they're kewl ... but the rest of the show needs to go.

~Loves Ellen!~

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Here's a few thoughts for improving UOE:

*extend the dinosaur sequence

*add some sequences where you travel through an oil rig and through a coal mine

*For the finale, have it be like Horizons where you watch the movie on an Omnimax screen. That would truly add another level to the ride.
May as well knock down the building to fit an Omnimax in... wait. They did that already. And took the Omnimax's with it. There`s no need for Omnimax; Theatre 2 is 220 degrees from side to side. It just needs photography that makes the most of it.

How about an eye-catching preshow followed by a current set of movies with an engaging story, memorable music, get all the effects working again and have a finale as awe-inspiring as the original was when it debued?

imagineer boy

May as well knock down the building to fit an Omnimax in... wait. They did that already. And took the Omnimax's with it. There`s no need for Omnimax; Theatre 2 is 220 degrees from side to side. It just needs photography that makes the most of it.

How about an eye-catching preshow followed by a current set of movies with an engaging story, memorable music, get all the effects working again and have a finale as awe-inspiring as the original was when it debued?

It doesn't need to be built into the building, it can be built off to the side and connected to the building. I've looked at the area surrounding the building on google maps and there's plenty of room.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I think UofE could stand to be shortened. While a 38 minute attraction was nice in 1982 since it was such a unique experience, I wonder if there would be any way to shorten it. I know it was designed to be able to fit in 2 separate sets of cars/shows at one time on really busy days. What if they did away with that idea and just streamlined the whole show a bit?

Would that be possible? Also, are there any diagrams of the layout of the ride? I'd be interested in that.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
It doesn't need to be built into the building, it can be built off to the side and connected to the building. I've looked at the area surrounding the building on google maps and there's plenty of room.

hmm, off to the side of the building? Maybe into some other building, like a big dome-shaped one that isn't being used for anything important? :p

EPCOT Explorer

As always...Martin could run EPCOT perfectly.:D

jt04

Love it!

Oh and you might want to spellcheck or you are risking being called names by someone around here.

WDW1974

I think UofE could stand to be shortened. While a 38 minute attraction was nice in 1982 since it was such a unique experience, I wonder if there would be any way to shorten it. I know it was designed to be able to fit in 2 separate sets of cars/shows at one time on really busy days. What if they did away with that idea and just streamlined the whole show a bit?

Would that be possible? Also, are there any diagrams of the layout of the ride? I'd be interested in that.

I would be very against that idea.

That's been Disney's MO for its redo of FW pavillions and I think it's largely been a disaster.

In the 80s and 90s you could literally get lost in a pavillion for hours, they immersed you in their core theme ... now?

WoL dead. Seas? Much simpler, quicker experience. Imagination? Closed second level, forgettable much shorter ride. WoM? Replaced with a quickee 'thrill' ride. Horizons? Swapped out for a shorter experience thrill ride. Etc ...

The Land is really the only place you can spend as much or, with Soarin waits, more time than back in EC's grand days.

So shorter isn't what Energy needs.

Something new and innovative that hits on all the new technologies out there is.

~We're changing our name, but not our stripes~

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom