Universal Demolishing Soundstage 44

JT3000

Again, but dark knight rises used new York a lot!

Which was a mistake. New York is way too recognizable to double for a fictional city. LA too. Speaking of which, as already mentioned, LA was actually doubling for the fictional Mission City in the first Transformers movie.

It'll be interesting to see what they do here, because there's really no natural fit for the attraction in this location. I'm personally hoping for urban facades of some sort rather than a soundstage aesthetic. The futuristic look from Singapore wouldn't fit either.

AswaySuller

I agree DKR using NYC was a mistake.... Chicago was a great Gotham and it was almost famously so.... I remember sitting there thinking "why is this new York all of a sudden, why is the Chrysler building there"...

It detracted from the movie..... I believe Pittsburg was used a lot too.

Sorry we're going off topic.

I'm wondering if the speedy process of this being built is anything to do with (Maybe?) footfall being down in Universal Studios Florida due to the huge renovation of Amity?

HenryMystic

I'm wondering if the speedy process of this being built is anything to do with (Maybe?) footfall being down in Universal Studios Florida due to the huge renovation of Amity?

They had a large sum of money they were going to be taxed on if they didn't spend it. This is why this and the Springfield expansion are on the fast track.

If anything, this is being done in anticipation of the crowds that Potter will bring. They'll want/need to spread them out better.

Bairstow

I agree DKR using NYC was a mistake.... Chicago was a great Gotham and it was almost famously so.... I remember sitting there thinking "why is this new York all of a sudden, why is the Chrysler building there"...

It needed to be set on an island city for the "city-held-hostage" thing to work.
I kind of like that Gotham is a completely different place in all 3 of the movies- in the first it's a noir-ish fantasy retro/future city in decay, in the second it's cleaner, starker Michael Mann Heat type world, and in the final movie it's the classic superhero New York, with Wall Street and the obvious 9/11 allusions in tow. It works because the story and characters dictated the world they lived in, not the other way around.

As for Transformers, I always assumed it was always in L.A., if only because everything is either teal or orange.
http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.com/2010/03/teal-and-orange-hollywood-please-stop.html

culturenthrills

Several people have said they are targeting June/July... Seems pretty ambitious... I'd love for this to be done by then so I can experience it in October next year, but I am not counting on it...

I have heard September is when they want it done. That is the date they are shooting for so they can have that ready before HHN. As long as the weather cooperates they should be able to do it. I have never seen a park throw up a major attraction like this so fast. Makes Disney's glacial construction pace seem like a joke. Don't expect an announcement until they feel they need to *cough* FLE opening *cough*.

JT3000

I really only have a problem with Rockit's encroachment on the NY area. I think the rest of it is fine, but it would have looked better without the budget cuts.

If we ever get concept art for this attraction, I hope the exterior is included.

377594_3697161792903_804257787_n.jpg

I took this yesterday, good to see it vertical. Though its not nearly as the progress that has been made on Gringotts

Thrill Seeker

377594_3697161792903_804257787_n.jpg

I took this yesterday, good to see it vertical. Though its not nearly as the progress that has been made on Gringotts

To be fair though, Gringotts and the rest of Potter Phase 2 had a 5 month head start... I've heard numerous rumors that Transformers is suppose to open by June 2013. If the furious pace of this construction continues, I'd say this isn't too unlikely.

JT3000

I don't think Gringotts started out below ground, so it's difficult to compare the two. They've actually gotten plenty done on Transformers.

HTF

Transformers is well ahead of Gringotts. We're already witnessing the this the second floor going up. All structural steel will be up within 30 days. I wish we had aerial views for everyone to see where we were 6 weeks ago.

cheezbat

Transformers is well ahead of Gringotts. We're already witnessing the this the second floor going up. All structural steel will be up within 30 days. I wish we had aerial views for everyone to see where we were 6 weeks ago.

They sure are moving fast. I'm loving seeing the frenzied pace of this project. Such a shame Disney doesn't come anywhere near this pace on building new attractions anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom