Universal Demolishing Soundstage 44

NemoRocks78

Seized
So, looking at Google Maps, are there two different Jurassic Park expansion pads? The area that used to be "Triceratop Encounter" and an area behind "Thunder Falls Terrace", in between "Jurassic Park River Adventure" and "Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls" (could this area also be used for a Toon Lagoon expansion if not used for Jurassic Park? - the area currently used by the Toon Lagoon Theater could be another expansion pad.)
I do believe both of those spots are considered expansion space for Jurassic Park.

GLaDOS

So, looking at Google Maps, are there two different Jurassic Park expansion pads? The area that used to be "Triceratop Encounter" and an area behind "Thunder Falls Terrace", in between "Jurassic Park River Adventure" and "Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls" (could this area also be used for a Toon Lagoon expansion if not used for Jurassic Park? - the area currently used by the Toon Lagoon Theater could be another expansion pad.)

Yup. All of that is correct.

lazyboy97o

Was able to ride Transformers the Ride 3D today and I think it'll be a good addition to Universal Studios Hollywood. I felt the attraction was too much third-party viewing and less involved than other great attractions. I would rank it below The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, Men in Black: Alien Attack, and Revenge of the Mummy.

I will be curious to see what is done in regards to the queue. Only about 30-40 minutes is held within the actual building with the rest being outside off to the side. If I recall correctly, the building would be slightly larger than the now gone Soundstage 44, meaning the queue would have to be shoved in more or more space along the walkways will be needed to handle the growing crowds at Universal Orlando Resort.

HTF

Was able to ride Transformers the Ride 3D today and I think it'll be a good addition to Universal Studios Hollywood. I felt the attraction was too much third-party viewing and less involved than other great attractions. I would rank it below The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, Men in Black: Alien Attack, and Revenge of the Mummy.

I will be curious to see what is done in regards to the queue. Only about 30-40 minutes is held within the actual building with the rest being outside off to the side. If I recall correctly, the building would be slightly larger than the now gone Soundstage 44, meaning the queue would have to be shoved in more or more space along the walkways will be needed to handle the growing crowds at Universal Orlando Resort.

In regards to the queue, the actual footprint of the building will vary vs the Hollywood version. In Orlando the building will actually be three levels vs two as previously thought. Maintenance will be in the basement. On level 1 or ground level will be the queue, loading station, first two scenes, last scene, unload, and the gift shop. On level two will be the other six scenes. Also keep in mind I am not including scene 3 or 10 which are the elevator scenes that span both floors.

Now since maintenance will be located in a basement, this will free up enough level 1 space to build a larger interior queue as well as a gift shop.

One more thing did they have all the switchbacks open? I'm pretty positive the queue is capable of holding roughly 1200-1400 people or about a 75-90 min wait with Express operating.

cheezbat

I rode it this week...and while it is indeed an awesome ride, it is VERY similar to Spiderman. Same effects, same Color cars, almost identical vehicle design.

I liked the elevators...they were cool. The backwards portions also cool. I just hope this one is considerably different for USO...

cheezbat

It's a great ride...don't get me wrong, but I really wish they would've built it with actual ROBOT animatronics...could've been so amazing!

Disneyhead'71

From what I have heard, Universal Orlando has a GIANT pile of cash, and they had of choice in spending it by Jan 1, 2013, or give a bunch of it to Uncle Sam in taxes. They had to go with something that they could get started and budgeted quickly (no time for R&D). So you can thank Uncle Sam for Transformers and Cabana Bay.

AndyMagic

From what I have heard, Universal Orlando has a GIANT pile of cash, and they had of choice in spending it by Jan 1, 2013, or give a bunch of it to Uncle Sam in taxes. They had to go with something that they could get started and budgeted quickly (no time for R&D). So you can thank Uncle Sam for Transformers and Cabana Bay.

It's really comforting to know that the enormous success of recent investments at Universal (and the resulting influx of cash) is actually being fed back into the resort in the form of high quality rides and attractions. Disney should take note. When a business unit makes loads of money, you shouldn't squander it by diverting the cash to other units or even worse, investing in ridiculous "next gen" technology that has been around for decades anyway and doesn't actually improve the guest experience. Instead of making their guests plan every minute of every day of their trip months in advance Disney should fast track some attractions that have been sitting on the shelf. I promise them the return on their investment will be exponentially better than whatever "next-gen" will bring to them.

Timekeeper

It's a great ride...don't get me wrong, but I really wish they would've built it with actual ROBOT animatronics...could've been so amazing!

Agreed. That's what separates the groundbreaking classic rides (like Kong and Jaws, or even Horizons, Pirates and Haunted Mansion) from their modern virtual reality counterparts. Motion simulators and video screens won't trend forever.

I think even the best animatronic figure would have looked poor next to the video.

We wouldn't necessarily need a full scale figure, but at least more "real" interactive elements, like in Forbidden Journey. For me, the "real" scenes are what really make that ride as amazing as it is. :)

AndyMagic

There is in fact integration with physical sets in Transformers. Between every projection scene there is a transitional physical set. People seem to be suggesting it is all screens. Mind you, Spider-Man has more actual effects and "wow" moments but they are still there in Transformers. I'm not sure why people are saying they are identical experiences either. I thought Transformers had a very different sense of pace and the projected scenes provided a greater sensation of speed. Each attraction has its pros and cons.

Disneyhead'71

I think for Joe Sixpack, down from Anyplace, Upnorth, he'll be like "Cool, Transformers. Is it a rollercoaster?" Then someone will say, "No, it's like that Spiderman ride over in the other park." And Joe will be all like, "COOL, that ride is pretty BA!"

All and all, they needed to spend a chunk of change, it's filling in what has been a dead spot in the park, and is a toss off filler before Potter. So for it's purpose, we are lucky to be getting a $100 million E-Ticket. Yes, it is similar to Spiderman. But is being similar to one of the premier theme park attractions on the planet really a bad thing?

AswaySuller

I think for Joe Sixpack, down from Anyplace, Upnorth, he'll be like "Cool, Transformers. Is it a rollercoaster?" Then someone will say, "No, it's like that Spiderman ride over in the other park." And Joe will be all like, "COOL, that ride is pretty BA!"

All and all, they needed to spend a chunk of change, it's filling in what has been a dead spot in the park, and is a toss off filler before Potter. So for it's purpose, we are lucky to be getting a $100 million E-Ticket. Yes, it is similar to Spiderman. But is being similar to one of the premier theme park attractions on the planet really a bad thing?

Exactly.... No one says... Ugh she's attractive n all but she just looks too similar to Kate Upton!

lazyboy97o

I still do not think the two are all that similar and would prefer if Transformers the Ride 3D was more like the Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man.

Thrill Seeker

I have a friend who works at Uni who overheard maint guys talking a summer opening for Transformers (they specifically said Transformers, as if we needed any more proof). Not sure how likely that is, but with vertical construction already begun, it could happen...

Oh and big news for those who have been covering this thread for a while... Universal's House of Horrors is confirmed to be coming...as a HHN maze...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom