Universal Demolishing Soundstage 44

maxairmike

But that was all the same day as the permits and then they continued hinting towards the House of Horrors rumor, which seems to be a "decoy" at this point. I'm rolling with Transformers.

Does Oceaneering do their entertainment manufacturing here in Orlando, or their Maryland plant? Might be a good way to get visual confirmation, because I'd be willing to bet some key pieces would see the light of day before being shipped.

WDW1974

Haven't been following this thread, but skimmed the last few pages.

I have got to tell you (as the Spirit who said Potter was coming to two parks and that it would take over Amity and that it would be connected by an attraction -- and was told he was crazy in some corners) that everyone I know at UNI (including GREAT sources who fed me the info on Potter 2.0 as well as the new night show and parade) have steadfastly denied that Transformers was coming here.

I believe that. Did then. Do now.

You may see a smiliar ride system, but that doesn't mean you're getting what Hollywood and Singapore have. I'd look at other options ...

maxairmike

Classic monster's dark ride on the Spidey/Transformer's system? I can't see that being a rushed project, it doesn't have enough current push and popularity behind it to warrant it. It has to be something either already at another park or was far enough completed to get it done in a 13 month period, because they can't get a ride of that magnitude up and running by September, even at a 24/7 pace (another strike for the Monsters). Madagascar makes more sense in KidZone, and I can't think of another franchise/film that has the kind of current "pull" that would go to Studios instead of IOA.

cheezbat

Classic monster's dark ride on the Spidey/Transformer's system? I can't see that being a rushed project, it doesn't have enough current push and popularity behind it to warrant it. It has to be something either already at another park or was far enough completed to get it done in a 13 month period, because they can't get a ride of that magnitude up and running by September, even at a 24/7 pace (another strike for the Monsters). Madagascar makes more sense in KidZone, and I can't think of another franchise/film that has the kind of current "pull" that would go to Studios instead of IOA.

Just thinking outside of the box here...I remember once hearing about a Back to the Future replacement in Universal Studios Japan, and they were considering something based on the current Batman Nolan franchise. They don't own Marvel, yet use the comic characters in IOA, what would stop them from building a ride base on one of the biggest comic movie franchises at Universal Studios? That could be a blockbuster.

Of course, they could be building something based on Lord of the Rings, or something new in relation to Kong...since Uni often partners with other movie companies for attractions, basically anything non-Disney could be fair game!

redshoesrock

Just thinking outside of the box here...I remember once hearing about a Back to the Future replacement in Universal Studios Japan, and they were considering something based on the current Batman Nolan franchise. They don't own Marvel, yet use the comic characters in IOA, what would stop them from building a ride base on one of the biggest comic movie franchises at Universal Studios? That could be a blockbuster.

Can't be Batman, Nolan-verse or otherwise - DC Comics has a license with Six Flags.

Thrill Seeker

You're right, it was the NYT thread... Here Lee says it isn't Transformers and Martin said SS44 won't be an attraction per se, which to me sounds like it isn't Transformers...

However, perhaps our insiders were thrown off by the red herring that was House of Horrors... I'm still hoping for Transformers. It makes good business sense and that would be another huge addition for the park.

AmongMadPeople

Of course, they could be building something based on Lord of the Rings, or something new in relation to Kong...since Uni often partners with other movie companies for attractions, basically anything non-Disney could be fair game!

Back to the Future or King Kong have good potential and I'd be excited for that.

I know you're just throwing darts, but I'd be severely disappointed if LotR was introduced to a theme park like that. But if they wanted to capitalize on contemporary cinema buzz, the first Hobbit movie comes out this Christmas, the second Christmas 2013.

maxairmike

As much as I love LotR (well, actually probably because I love the books and movies that much) I would be very disappointed if it only got one single ride in any park. I want to experience Middle Earth like I can the Wizarding World. They managed to get a casual Potter reader/watcher to open up his wallet often, imagine all the nerds that would open up their wallets for Middle Earth. I know I'd go broke!

Although the release of the movies and the 13 month timeline I've heard makes sense (can't seem to get any other info regarding theme) with a ride opening right between the release of the two movies. Still, I'd rather wait for a full blown land somewhere, although I know I'd likely be waiting for a very, very long time.

Captain Chaos

However, perhaps our insiders were thrown off by the red herring that was House of Horrors... I'm still hoping for Transformers. It makes good business sense and that would be another huge addition for the park.

I do believe they were thrown off by the ruse... Many of us were... Just read other sites, they all said the same thing...

LotR deserves an entire land, not just one ride....

The building replacing SS44 will be a 2 story building, so take that for what it is worth...

djlaosc

Do Universal own the land on the other side of Hollywood Way - either side of Adventure Way between the Royal Pacific and Turkey Lake Road?

Is that where future Hotels/Water Parks were supposed to go?

If that wasn't going to happen, could make an interesting IOA Expansion Pad - could they possibly fit IOA Expansion, another hotel and a water park in there?

maxairmike

I do believe they were thrown off by the ruse... Many of us were... Just read other sites, they all said the same thing...

LotR deserves an entire land, not just one ride....

The building replacing SS44 will be a 2 story building, so take that for what it is worth...

Exactly. Why would the same company doing this ride system and using the same kind of 2 level building end up with a different theme for the attraction? Everything right now points to Transformers as far as I can see.

djlaosc: The two empty plots are owned by Universal and are slated as staging areas for the next two years at least with both the SS44 and the Potter project, as well as a small section serving as overflow parking for team members. They were originally going to have a resort hotel on each plot, but that was cut (or perhaps "delayed" is the proper word?) before the initial Universal City expansion project got underway. There has been much discussion and some semi-confirmation that at least a resort will pop up on one of the plots in the somewhat near future (likely further delayed by the needed use as a staging area for the very near future), and also a lot of discussion of a water park being built on the second plot (although much more speculation/rumor at this point than the resort).

djlaosc

djlaosc: The two empty plots are owned by Universal and are slated as staging areas for the next two years at least with both the SS44 and the Potter project, as well as a small section serving as overflow parking for team members. They were originally going to have a resort hotel on each plot, but that was cut (or perhaps "delayed" is the proper word?) before the initial Universal City expansion project got underway. There has been much discussion and some semi-confirmation that at least a resort will pop up on one of the plots in the somewhat near future (likely further delayed by the needed use as a staging area for the very near future), and also a lot of discussion of a water park being built on the second plot (although much more speculation/rumor at this point than the resort).

I was reading about the two plots needed for SS44/Potter somewhere recently (Screamscape), but I didn't put the two things together!

I would imagine that they would be interested in opening a new hotel (how are hotel bookings doing now after WWOHP?)

The water park rumour was because of the uncertainty regarding the land that Wet 'n' Wild is currently built on, and a potential reason why the most recent additions have been ones that apparantly could easily be moved (although I don't know if the new kid's area could easily be moved)

lazyboy97o

Exactly. Why would the same company doing this ride system and using the same kind of 2 level building end up with a different theme for the attraction? Everything right now points to Transformers as far as I can see.
Oceaneering does not do the design of the attraction themselves. It would be Universal Creative and the designers they hire who would take the layout from Transformers and apply a different theme.

cheezbat

Can't be Batman, Nolan-verse or otherwise - DC Comics has a license with Six Flags.

While ive considered that...Money talks. Anything is possible.

Transformers would seem to be the most likely thing...but as our insiders have said, 'NOT HERE' ...which makes me think we will see Transformers, but maybe either in World Expo, Terminator 2, OR a few years down the road in IOA as Marvel's replacement...

The next six months should be interesting.

HTF

So we can expect transformers, kong, and potter to be at universal by summer 2015. Something is also coming to ioa when potter ops at studios.

maxairmike

Oceaneering does not do the design of the attraction themselves. It would be Universal Creative and the designers they hire who would take the layout from Transformers and apply a different theme.

I know they don't likely do much with the actual theme, but the design of the building sounds (and seems) like it will be mirroring the building for Transformers (2 level show building designed to accommodate the ride system on both levels), using the same ride system/vehicles from Oceaneering...but have a completely different theme? I know, Dinosaur and Indy. But still...I don't get that impression with this.

So we can expect transformers, kong, and potter to be at universal by summer 2015. Something is also coming to ioa when potter ops at studios.

Are you talking more than the Hogwarts Express attraction and anything else that would be added along with it to complete the experience on the IOA end? Also, Kong? Will Twister finally be swept away? They're getting awfully ambitious (way more than I would expect or think possible) if they're really taking on that many projects in one park in that timeframe.

cheezbat

Whoa...wait a minute...Kong? Does that rumor actually have legs? If so, it's not an east coast version of King Kong 360 3-D were talking about, is it? Maybe the Kong flume that was proposed a few years back? That's what I'm hoping for.

I'm also really curious as to what they're thinking for to keep the people coming in at IOA.

Captain Chaos

Sounds like people believe SS44 is going to be Kong but with the Transformers ride system... Which, if that is the case, I wouldn't expect Transformers in USO unless TF gets a different ride system... Could it possibly be though that Universal is selling the rights to Marvel back to Disney, Kong gets SS44 and TF gets Spiderman???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom