Universal announces yet another major attraction, Disney taking a nap

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
lmao you have no clue what you are talking about. Majority of the good imagineers were either laid off or left on there own. Steve Kirk, Eddie Sotto, Bruce Gordon. Those guys are the REAL talent and now they are gone.

The only talent Disney has left now is Weiss, Baxter, Rhode, Delaney and whats left of Baxter's team. On top of that I heard that at least 2 of those guys are leaving soon.

Go ask Corrus/Tim G sometime what Iger is really doing. There is nothing "walt-esque" about him.

For someone who just joined and has never been a member of this forum under any other name....how would you know who Corrus is considering he hasn't even posted on this site since February and you joined in April and hasn't gone by the name Corrus for a lot longer?

jt04

WDW and DCA are two different animals. ... I don't know how many times you have to be told. Like the world is round.

But all major projects will be overseen by WDI in Glendale. Hence my theory that any large projects at WDW will occur between DCA's Phase 1 and 2.

WDW and DCA are two different animals. That part is true. But WDI is one "entity" now for all intent and purposes.

Class dismissed. :lol:

agent86

Universal Stuidios has to build new rides to draw more people. They are always working hard to fill the parks.

"It's something that will never be finished. Something that I can keep developing...and adding to."—Walt Disney [FONT=century gothic, arial]
[/FONT]
Disney has the draw. They dont have to keep adding on.

"In this volatile business of ours, we can ill afford to rest on our laurels, even to pause in retrospect. Times and conditions change so rapidly that we must keep our aim constantly focused on the future." —Walt Disney

Sad (but true) that Universal seems to understand Walt's philosophy much better than Disney does these days.

There are plenty of people out there that can create attractions for Six Flags or Sea World or Busch Gardens but the talent to create a truly Disney quality product is rare. It's very expensive to get people with that kind of talent. It's one of those disciplines that looks easy from afar but the truth is executing those projects is incredibly complex.

To give you an analogy, plenty of people can throw a baseball but very few can pitch in the majors.

Or, if you don't like sports analogies, plenty of people can can jog but very few can complete a marathon.

Sorry, I guess that is another sports analogy. :p:lol:

Eddie Soto who just started posting around here started working at Knotts farm. And we all know the quality work that he does. There are plenty of people that have the ability to work for WDI. I dont think WDI are nearly as special as you make them out to be.

jt04

"It's something that will never be finished. Something that I can keep developing...and adding to."—Walt Disney

"In this volatile business of ours, we can ill afford to rest on our laurels, even to pause in retrospect. Times and conditions change so rapidly that we must keep our aim constantly focused on the future." —Walt Disney

Sad (but true) that Universal seems to understand Walt's philosophy much better than Disney does these days.

Uni spurred Disney to build Disney/MGM Studios.

IoA spurred Disney to build AK

Potterland will get a reaction from Disney. But DCA is the priority now.

jt04

Eddie Soto who just started posting around here started working at Knotts farm. And we all know the quality work that he does. There are plenty of people that have the ability to work for WDI. I dont think WDI are nearly as special as you make them out to be.

I think you might be wrong. But we will have to agree to disagree. There are a lot of people who overestimate their abilities. WDI is where everyone thinks they want to work, but I dare say the average person has no idea what it involves. They are just wannabes and probably don't even have a track record.

Captain Chaos

"It's something that will never be finished. Something that I can keep developing...and adding to."—Walt Disney [FONT=century gothic, arial]
[/FONT]

I disagreed with you in the past, but, I have to agree with you here... Seems like Universal is channeling Walt Disney, and Disney is channeling umm no one..

And here I thought you claimed that IOA wasn't a worry and therefore Disney didn't have to nor did respond.. Yes, IOA spurred DAK??? Call me crazy, but, I don't think IOA has anything to do with DAK being open.. Now, if you wanted to say SeaWorld, or Busch Gardens in Tampa, then I can say OK, that I would buy... But IOA??? Nah...

MGM is a mess thanks to Eisner having to have the park open BEFORE Universal...

Jt, you keep saying Disney doesn't have to respond, and now, you say they will.. So, what is it??

I think Disney is falling behind... Sad, but true... Started with the last 10 years of Eisner, and is continuing under Iger...

WDW1974

lmao you have no clue what you are talking about. Majority of the good imagineers were either laid off or left on there own. Steve Kirk, Eddie Sotto, Bruce Gordon. Those guys are the REAL talent and now they are gone.

The only talent Disney has left now is Weiss, Baxter, Rhode, Delaney and whats left of Baxter's team. On top of that I heard that at least 2 of those guys are leaving soon.

To be fair, that isn't the case at all. There are loads of talented people remaining at WDI (and it's Weis and Rohde, spelling names right is a pet peeve of mine) ... many just aren't in spotlight positions.

It's very easy to talk about talents like Tony and Joe because they are front and center as celeb Imagineers to the fan community (and they certainly are extremely talented individuals). But so many people that contribute on lower levels don't get that recognition. It doesn't mean they lack talent.

Would I like to see guys like Eddie and Steve back with Disney? Absolutely. And losing Bruce at such a young age was a terrible tragedy on a human level about all else.

But the cupboard on Flower Street is far from bare.

Go ask Corrus/Tim G sometime what Iger is really doing. There is nothing "walt-esque" about him.

That much I'd agree with. I think Bob delegates far too much. And when it comes to P&R he focuses more on expanding the brand internationally (especially in Asia) and marketing. ... I'd hope that John Lasseter would be
more of an influence, but he is spread very thin as is (go see Up!) ... I also think Disney, like many companies, assumed the economic growth gravy train was never going to slow down, let alone stop. And unfortunately it has hurt WDW more because of overexpanding to begin with during the boom 90s.

WDW1974

I never made any claim as to who has talent or doesn't. I don't need to drop names to make myself feel important.

You really are a hoot, JT. Now talking about lead creatives at WDI is 'namedropping' ... what a hoot (do we have an owl smiley?!??!)

And judging by what I see happening at DCA and Tokyo etc, and what is pending that is showcased at the BSC, it appears WDI has plenty of talent in their stable.

OK ... do they have talent or don't they, flip-flopper? Or is there just not enough to go around? (rest assured whatever you say today will change tomorrow)

And the jury is out on DCA's Extreme Makeover Theme Park Edition. Is TSMM a nice addition? Sure. Does a small portion of the Pier look much better? Absolutely. But all the truly major stuff hasn't happened yet ... unless you want to get excited by the new San Francisco themed area (a giant set of restrooms!)

And Tokyo projects are financed by another company, which can make all the difference in the world (and does).

DCA and the new monsters ride (just two examples) look plenty Walt-esque to me. :)

They 'look' nice ... and I believe them to be ... that's as far as I'd go.

WDW1974

But all major projects will be overseen by WDI in Glendale. Hence my theory that any large projects at WDW will occur between DCA's Phase 1 and 2.

WDW and DCA are two different animals. That part is true. But WDI is one "entity" now for all intent and purposes.

Class dismissed. :lol:

WDI doesn't decide what gets built and in what parks/resort.

Very basic lesson.

The Conundrum

Wrong. Busch Gardens spurred Disney to build Ak in the early 90s.

DCA has NOTHING to do with WDW. This isnt some small company with 1 team who is like "ok guys we gotta do this DCA project then were gonna move on and do something at MK!". They can work on tons of different projects at once.

What part of Disney executives/TDO does not really have an interest in investing in WDW. Do you not comprehend???

Lee has explained this to you, Tirian has explained this, WDW1974 has explained this. Yet you keep seeking out "positive rumors" on places like Bluesky and then come back defending TDO. I absoluetly can't wait to what you say once Space Mountain reopens its probably gonan be something like:

"yea well they didnt do a proper refurb of Space now but something awsome is coming! just you wait!...just..you wait"

BTW, I do agree with you that the monsters ride and DCA redo are excellent. A bit too cartoony for my taste but based on the designs ive seen its all top notch. So why don't you go vacation at and praise DL and TDL instead of constantly defending the mediocricity that is the Walt Disney World Resort?

The Conundrum

jt doesn't get it because it is all part of TDO's master plan... A plan only he sees for some reason...

Be careful or he'll start classifying you as part of the "negative ninnys" along with me and '74. Remember WE are morons who are incapable of anything but TDO are elite supermen who will do whats right for WDW and begin heavily investing in the parks once the "recession is over".

jt04

You really are a hoot, JT. Now talking about lead creatives at WDI is 'namedropping' ... what a hoot (do we have an owl smiley?!??!)

Name dropping is name dropping. You could include your gardeners name and it's still name dropping. If you had a gardner.:lol:

OK ... do they have talent or don't they, flip-flopper? Or is there just not enough to go around? (rest assured whatever you say today will change tomorrow)

I've always said Iger has chosen quality over quantity. Don't see the conflict you are suggesting. Please give me exact quotes before you make ridiculous accusations.

And the jury is out on DCA's Extreme Makeover Theme Park Edition. Is TSMM a nice addition? Sure. Does a small portion of the Pier look much better? Absolutely. But all the truly major stuff hasn't happened yet ... unless you want to get excited by the new San Francisco themed area (a giant set of restrooms!)

No the jury is not out. I have researched the project deeply. The magic is back at WDI.

And Tokyo projects are financed by another company, which can make all the difference in the world (and does).

That doesn't bode well for all the hype about the competition catching Disney. They are all more cash poor than the mouse.

They 'look' nice ... and I believe them to be ... that's as far as I'd go.

Seems cynical.

WDI doesn't decide what gets built and in what parks/resort.

Never said they did. In fact I said the exact opposite yesterday. I believe Iger will focus WDI on WDW after Phase 1 at DCA. Been saying that for a year now.

Very basic lesson.

I wish you would learn it already. Class dismissed.

jt04

Wrong. Busch Gardens spurred Disney to build Ak in the early 90s.

I don't deny that BG played a role, but if Uni had never decided to build a second gate, Disney would never have built AK. Never. And yes I am aware AK opened a year earlier. It was a very basic and rushed project. The stories are legion.

DCA has NOTHING to do with WDW. This isnt some small company with 1 team who is like "ok guys we gotta do this DCA project then were gonna move on and do something at MK!". They can work on tons of different projects at once.

It does as far as WDI resources are concerned. WDI can only push out so much product and maintain the quality Iger/Lasseter demand. That is all I have ever said.

What part of Disney executives/TDO does not really have an interest in investing in WDW. Do you not comprehend???

Huh? :hammer:

Lee has explained this to you, Tirian has explained this, WDW1974 has explained this. Yet you keep seeking out "positive rumors" on places like Bluesky and then come back defending TDO. I absoluetly can't wait to what you say once Space Mountain reopens its probably gonan be something like:

"yea well they didnt do a proper refurb of Space now but something awsome is coming! just you wait!...just..you wait"

Huh? part 2 :hammer::hammer:

BTW, I do agree with you that the monsters ride and DCA redo are excellent. A bit too cartoony for my taste but based on the designs ive seen its all top notch. So why don't you go vacation at and praise DL and TDL instead of constantly defending the mediocricity that is the Walt Disney World Resort?

I suspect you would agree with me more if you didn't have so many entrenched misconceptions.

jt04

jt doesn't get it because it is all part of TDO's master plan... A plan only he sees for some reason...

I never said TDO has a master plan. I think they do have stuff they would like but WDW is not Glendale's (Iger/Lasseter) priority...........yet.

Bolded, underlined and italisized to make the point. :)

jt04

Be careful or he'll start classifying you as part of the "negative ninnys" along with me and '74. Remember WE are morons who are incapable of anything but TDO are elite supermen who will do whats right for WDW and begin heavily investing in the parks once the "recession is over".

No I don't think you are morons. I think your crying on everyone's shoulders here on this forum on a daily basis is a thought-out strategy. Either that or you need counseling.

Personally, I'd be embarassed for myself to continually ask people to put up with my negativity. If I had any. :lol:

But different strokes for different folks.

jt04

It's that big red eye of his.;):lol:

And which never sleeps or blinks unless the electric company cuts my power again.

They have a BIT of say, right? I thought that was the purpose of those across the "board" board meetings...:shrug:

Well said. You are wise beyond your years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom