Universal announces yet another major attraction, Disney taking a nap

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Oh.......umm........right :lookaroun:rolleyes:

Stay tuned, if you can.

I must admit it is a struggle to maintain focus given your incoherent fan boy rantings and your inability to separate reasoned discussion from wishful warblings.

It would be funny if it weren't just a little bit sad. ho hum.................

jt04

I must admit it is a struggle to maintain focus given your incoherent fan boy rantings and your inability to separate reasoned discussion from wishful warblings.

It would be funny if it weren't just a little bit sad. ho hum.................

Post 444 in the Uni vs. WDW thread. :D

*Makes mental note to thread bump when I am proven right* :drevil:

lazyboy97o

Not at all. WDI only does what it is "commissioned" to do. I don't have a "problem" with anyone at TWDC. They are focused on DCA right now and they have limited resources in the creative areas. Now, once DCA is largely finished at the Imagineering level, then I would have a problem if they don't start some projects at WDW.
The Imagineering phase of the rebuild of Disney's California Adventure may not before several more years. The opening of Carsland is only the end of Phase I.

There is also no reason the size of Imagineering cannot increase as it has done in the past.

jt04

The Imagineering phase of the rebuild of Disney's California Adventure may not before several more years. The opening of Carsland is only the end of Phase I.

There is also no reason the size of Imagineering cannot increase as it has done in the past.

Yes I am thinking WDW will get some attention between DCA's phases 1 and 2.

The more Imagineers you hire the harder it gets to maintain quality. There just aren't enough quality Imagineers out there or the funds to attract enough talented people. Iger has indicated he prfers quality over quantity. Very Walt-esque.

Captain Chaos

The more Imagineers you hire the harder it gets to maintain quality. There just aren't enough quality Imagineers out there or the funds to attract enough talented people. Iger has indicated he prfers quality over quantity. Very Walt-esque.

Because they have already been let go...

And if Iger prefers quality over quantity, he'd have canned Holmes, Crofton, and Rasulo in one Yeti arm sweep.. Oh wait, that doesn't work...

Why do you think quality will go down? If theres enough projects to spread the Imagineers around to.....

And there are plenty of talented people out there.

They probably dont want to pony up the cash. Simple as that. I dont think we need to make other excuses for them....

jt04

Why do you think quality will go down? If theres enough projects to spread the Imagineers around to.....

And there are plenty of talented people out there.

They probably dont want to pony up the cash. Simple as that. I dont think we need to make other excuses for them....

There are plenty of people out there that can create attractions for Six Flags or Sea World or Busch Gardens but the talent to create a truly Disney quality product is rare. It's very expensive to get people with that kind of talent. It's one of those disciplines that looks easy from afar but the truth is executing those projects is incredibly complex.

To give you an analogy, plenty of people can throw a baseball but very few can pitch in the majors.

Or, if you don't like sports analogies, plenty of people can can jog but very few can complete a marathon.

Sorry, I guess that is another sports analogy. :p:lol:

WDW1974

So we have WDW1974, who is sharply critical of the parks, yet still goes. And jt04 who would defend TDO until his dying breath, who is boycotting.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Ain't this place a big magical party ... and that JT character? A real hoot ... yeah, I tell you that's what he is ... (Boston Legal reference).

WDW1974

WDW and DCA are two different animals. ... I don't know how many times you have to be told. Like the world is round.

That's a load of fetid cow menure.

There are loads of talented people out there ... many former Imagineers ... we even have at least one reading/contributing here. It's a question of Disney wanting them back and paying them for their talents. ... There are also plenty of young talented kids out there too.

Your point about size is laughable considering that the times when WED was at its largest it opened EPCOT Center and TDL ... and when WDI grew to its biggest it created everything from the third and fourth gates in FLA to DLP to TDS to TY and BB etc ...

Now with 11 parks world-wide (and a 12th almost assuredly on the way ... with 13th and 14th parks not out of the question -- no, not in FLA for any), I don't see how Disney can get by with the numbers they currently have.

whylightbulb

There are plenty of people out there that can create attractions for Six Flags or Sea World or Busch Gardens but the talent to create a truly Disney quality product is rare. It's very expensive to get people with that kind of talent. It's one of those disciplines that looks easy from afar but the truth is executing those projects is incredibly complex.
I would take issue with your statement that designing and executing a Disney attraction takes more talent than doing the same for the other parks. If anything it takes more creativity and talent to design and build a good attraction for these other parks because you have so much less to work with. I have done design work for both Disney and some of the others as well. I can tell you that there is much more involved when you don't have access to resources like a fabrics expert or another that knows everything about pyro on staff. At Disney it was just a matter of assigning certain tasks to each resource that was appropriate for each particular ride or show element. With the other parks you have to either learn that stuff yourself or you have to be creative and come up with other ways to do things due to your limited budget.

WDI is a great place, absolutely, but you can't put it on some unattainable pedestal. Thinkwell, just to name one example, could absolutely create Disney-quality parks.

The Conundrum

lmao you have no clue what you are talking about. Majority of the good imagineers were either laid off or left on there own. Steve Kirk, Eddie Sotto, Bruce Gordon. Those guys are the REAL talent and now they are gone.

The only talent Disney has left now is Weiss, Baxter, Rhode, Delaney and whats left of Baxter's team. On top of that I heard that at least 2 of those guys are leaving soon.

Go ask Corrus/Tim G sometime what Iger is really doing. There is nothing "walt-esque" about him.

jt04

lmao you have no clue what you are talking about. Majority of the good imagineers were either laid off or left on there own. Steve Kirk, Eddie Sotto, Bruce Gordon. Those guys are the REAL talent and now they are gone.

The only talent Disney has left now is Weiss, Baxter, Rhode, Delaney and whats left of Baxter's team. On top of that I heard that at least 2 of those guys are leaving soon.

Go ask Corrus/Tim G sometime what Iger is really doing. There is nothing "walt-esque" about him.

I never made any claim as to who has talent or doesn't. I don't need to drop names to make myself feel important.

And judging by what I see happening at DCA and Tokyo etc, and what is pending that is showcased at the BSC, it appears WDI has plenty of talent in their stable.

DCA and the new monsters ride (just two examples) look plenty Walt-esque to me. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom