Universal announces yet another major attraction, Disney taking a nap

jt04

BS. He always takes the time to respond to every post.

You probably wonder why I defend him and i'll tell you why. Once I came home after a weekend at WDW in the summer of 2007 kinda saddened that the parks were getting stale only to go on Miceage and read him confirm that the removal of the wand and Star Tours 2 had just recieved the final greenlight to begin. Needless to say I was happy and the fact that he ws correct proved that he is a person that should be listened to.

The same exact complaints were made about DL and I remember other dry times at WDW. If you and 74 were the fans you say you would know that is SOP for TWDC. Meanwhile there have been a ton of reurbs and plenty of new ones happening.

Sorry, you guys post from the same obsessive viewpoint month after month because you supposedly "care" more than other WDW fans. That motivation is suspect at best!

Sorry dudes, your time is up.

WDW1974

I don't care if Paul was a swell person. You and I know that he was one of the key archietects of the business model Disney started using in the mid-90s that got us into the mess we are in now.

I am just being fair and balanced here ... something I am often accused of not being.

Paul is often vilified by fans as someone who hated the parks and was only interested in their shops etc ... and I know personally that was not the case.

Paul should never, ever have been taken away from The Disney Store chain. As soon as he left they had no direction, became dumps and today are a tiny, sad shadow of what they were. Paul was a great retail mind. He should never have been put in a leadership role in P&R with no experience whatsoever ... it would be like taking a great dentist and making him head of trauma surgery at a hospital. He was out of place immediately. He also was left with an aging park in a neighborhood that was full of urban blight (nothing magical about Anaheim in the 1990s!) and angry locals ... he was ill-suited for the job and made some terrible decisions. But by then Eisner had lost all sense of what was right for the company, so he compounded the problem by putting Paul in charge of all P&R.

Paul was certainly a huge part of the problem, no doubt. But the situation was very complicated ... and ultimately, I place more blame on Michael for putting Paul in a no-win situation.

Disney was a crazy place in the late 90s ... and in many ways we're all still paying for it today.

WDW1974

Since we are talking about "feelings". I have a feeling you are trying to worm your way into management by trying to tear down the current group. That would explain you obsession with layoffs and who exactly was leaving. You just want the mouse logo on your magical pay stub--by tearing down management.

I don't have to worm my way into anything, JT.

And no, I wouldn't want to work for TWDC in theme park management.

Now ... I would consult for them because I can tell them everything they are doing wrong and pick up huge checks for doing so (and they are huge as I know people who do consult for Disney!)

RiversideBunny

What kind of things do they do consulting work for Disney on?

Or, to be more grammaticaly correct I guess-

On what kind of things do they do consulting work for Disney.

Tks.

:)

WDW1974

I not really concerned with how you and others around here label me. I enjoy spending time with my wife at the place where we met, became engaged, and honeymooned. If that makes me an apologist for management because I see past 90% of the problems fabricated here and enjoy the time I spend with my wife on vacation then so be it.

The memories I make with my family are important, not the physical place.

I don't fabricate problems, jake. I write about them.

And I respect the fact you love WDW because of the memories ... I do too.

But the physical place is a huge part of that ... otherwise you could just spend quality time with the family in an empty warehouse, a parking lot or a WalMart.

We both know that's not the case.

jakeman

I don't fabricate problems, jake. I write about them.

And I respect the fact you love WDW because of the memories ... I do too.

But the physical place is a huge part of that ... otherwise you could just spend quality time with the family in an empty warehouse, a parking lot or a WalMart.

We both know that's not the case.
The place is what you make of it.

I'm sorry that you can't divorce yourself from seeing flaws. It would not only upset me, but my wife as well, if I spent a majority of our time together pointing out flaws, either in upper management or the physical place. It's not worth it to me.

Why would I spend my time observing and cataloging everything I see when I could be focusing on my family? You've said it yourself: life is too short.

DisneyDellsDude

Disney has made no sugestion that monsters inc., star tours 2, or little mermaid are coming. There is no press release no actual hints from the company (i.e. construction happening) so you can't say there coming so matter of factly.
Sorry - didn't mean to.
But Star Tours 2.0 does seem very, very plausable.

jt04

I don't have to worm my way into anything, JT.

And no, I wouldn't want to work for TWDC in theme park management.

Now ... I would consult for them because I can tell them everything they are doing wrong and pick up huge checks for doing so (and they are huge as I know people who do consult for Disney!)

Yep and I'm sure Disney has your phone ringing off the hook. Or maybe they don't and that is your beef.

Perhaps someday you will allow us to tell you everything you are doing wrong. I'm sure many here would do that with great enthusiasm.

Captain Chaos

Universal Stuidios has to build new rides to draw more people.
Every year they hurt a little more. They are always working hard to fill the parks.

Disney has the draw. They dont have to keep adding on.
Of course I wish they would be cause I go all the time and would love to have something new every year but it just is not cost effective.

WDW will have a few things coming up soon.
They are still in the period of refurbing rides and the parks like they said they would be.
Cant do everything at once. Tickets costs enough as it is.

So, cause Disney has the draw, they can let things fall apart, become stale, and otherwise decay??? So, let's accept mediocrity cause hell, Disney has the draw??? Nonsense... Disney will NOT have the draw one day.. They continue down this woeful path and Universal WILL pass them up...

I'm sorry that you can't divorce yourself from seeing flaws. It would not only upset me, but my wife as well, if I spent a majority of our time together pointing out flaws, either in upper management or the physical place. It's not worth it to me.

Why would I spend my time observing and cataloging everything I see when I could be focusing on my family? You've said it yourself: life is too short.

But you, and others, cannot divorce yourselves away from seeing everything as perfect either... I love Disney as much as anyone, and I think, as a fan, I have a right to question their decisions, or lack thereof. Just because I am a fan, and just because I have wonderful memories of WDW with my family, doesn't mean I have to see them as perfect... WDW can start a nuclear war, and there will be people on here saying Disney can do no wrong... Sad really..

Yep and I'm sure Disney has your phone ringing off the hook. Or maybe they don't and that is your beef.

Perhaps someday you will allow us to tell you everything you are doing wrong. I'm sure many here would do that with great enthusiasm.

Jt, never had a beef with you, but you are getting more and more silly by the day.. So, 74 is upset cause Disney isn't ringing his phone?? Come on son, get real... Is Disney ringing your phone since you have this major plan for the WDW resort?? Didn't think so..

jt04

Jt, never had a beef with you, but you are getting more and more silly by the day.. So, 74 is upset cause Disney isn't ringing his phone?? Come on son, get real... Is Disney ringing your phone since you have this major plan for the WDW resort?? Didn't think so..

I think it is cowardly that he calls people out by name who are not public figures while doing so anonymously. It's disgusting.

And speaking for myself, I critisize a lot of what they do. In fact I don't think I know a single poster on this forum who likes everything they do. I just critisized the SSE descent earlier today. Do you actually read a person's posts before typing?

And if I had a "major plan" I thought they might use, I'd deliver it myself. I know the address. I have no such plans just musings on what I would like to see them do or not do. This forum is for discussing just such things.

jt04

So, cause Disney has the draw, they can let things fall apart, become stale, and otherwise decay??? So, let's accept mediocrity cause hell, Disney has the draw??? Nonsense... Disney will NOT have the draw one day.. They continue down this woeful path and Universal WILL pass them up...

Could you actually back this rant up with facts and examples?

whylightbulb

As for the tracks on ToT, maybe an insider will jump in. There is some kind of rail. Perhaps it's just a safety rail.:shrug:
There is no rail to guide the vehicles in the "Fifth Dimension" scene. Maybe he is referring to the wear on the floor from the casters. There are rails for the vehicle to index in the drop tower also.

jakeman

But you, and others, cannot divorce yourselves away from seeing everything as perfect either...
It's probably because I don't care. That's really the truth. I'm there to spend time with my family, not look for flaws.

I love Disney as much as anyone, and I think, as a fan, I have a right to question their decisions, or lack thereof.
I'm not sure where people think that when a disagreement happens one party is saying the other doesn't have a right to feel that way. I've never said you don't have that right.

Just because I am a fan, and just because I have wonderful memories of WDW with my family, doesn't mean I have to see them as perfect...
I've never said I saw them as perfect. I also never said anyone else has to see them as perfect. It's also not a horrible thing to point out reasons why management may do the things they do and look at it from a business perspective. Also just because those things are pointed out, doesn't mean I necessarily believe them. Maybe I just like to point out the other side.

WDW can start a nuclear war, and there will be people on here saying Disney can do no wrong... Sad really...
Almost as sad as someone who spends before, during, and after their vacation looking for things to complain about. Hyperbole and absolutes rarely lead to constructive arguments.

Disney is a product. That is all. That is how I have always seen it.

We could go back and forth all day about who is more "hooked on the pixie dust". I can stop going at the drop of a hat if I become dissatisfied. It seems like many of you can't.

WDW1974

Nope, 74 hates being challanged. He can dish it out day after day while not letting his own work be examined. That is pure cowardess in my opinion.

I have no problem with anyone challenging me at all ... and 'my work' is examined all the time ... in the real world ... where it is relevant. I know all about getting criticism and can take it as much as I can dish it.

But 'my work' has no relevance to writing here about TWDC except you are again baiting me and fishing for real world info about me. I find that strange and a bit off-putting ... you have no right whatsoever to know anything about me and I have an issue with you playing this little game.

Besides, if I'm as insignificant as you believe me to be then there is nothing there for you to wonder about :rolleyes::drevil::D:wave:

WDW1974

What kind of things do they do consulting work for Disney on?

Or, to be more grammaticaly correct I guess-

On what kind of things do they do consulting work for Disney.

Tks.

:)

I can't/won't go into specifics ... but it involves many facets of P&R from hotels to retail to dining to accounting ... I also know folks who do consulting for broadcasting/ABC.

They ALL are very well compensated. Many make more than what Disney pays its execs.

WDW1974

I fundamentally don't agree with this line of thinking ... WDW is what it is. It doesn't change because of your perception or attitude.

Why would I ever not want to see flaws unless they weren't there? Ignorance isn't bliss. I take note of all I see ... from the great to the awful. I don't have a pixie dust filter that colors all I see at WDW.

You make a giant leap here ... that I go to WDW and spend most of my time pointing out flaws or poor management. That's simply not true. I take note and process all I see.

I guess you can shut your mind off at WDW. I know many people can. Hell, I know many people go through daily life with their mind in the 'off' or 'idle' positions. I am not like that and won't apologize for it.

But it doesn't mean I ignore my family/friends when I am at WDW in favor of creating a laundry list of issues. I don't. And since you haven't ever traveled with me around The World you shouldn't assume I do so.

I think something may be getting lost in the translation, jake, because I tend to agree with much of what you say ... I don't believe you are contrary just for the sake of it. I get your POV ... but I am not sure you get mine.

WDW1974

I think it is cowardly that he calls people out by name who are not public figures while doing so anonymously. It's disgusting.

That's bull$--t. Disney's exec 'leadership' team are public figures in terms of their jobs. They appear in media. They officiate at events. I am not picking on 18-year-old cashiers at Pecos Bill's.

And anything I say here is tempered compared to what I would say (and have many times) in the real world. I doubt very much that Phil Holmes cries himself to sleep if I say he's done a ________ poor job of running the MK on a fan forum.

The Conundrum

That's bull$--t. Disney's exec 'leadership' team are public figures in terms of their jobs. They appear in media. They officiate at events. I am not picking on 18-year-old cashiers at Pecos Bill's.

And anything I say here is tempered compared to what I would say (and have many times) in the real world. I doubt very much that Phil Holmes cries himself to sleep if I say he's done a ________ poor job of running the MK on a fan forum.

Phil Holmes goes to sleep at night with a doctor's salary and a big grin on his face knowning people like jakeman and jt04 will keep coming to the parks no matter what.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom