Uni's New Plan For Potter Could Make Significant Dent To WDW

bullsforthewin

They're not haters there just simply stating the fact that there are many attactions that have gone by the wayside in terms of maintence and quality. You have to be blinded by pixie dust if you can't see that Uni is continuing to innovate and impress while WDW hasn't built anything on those levels since 1994.

Lol most are haters like you...who think that despicable me is innovative and impressive while tot, rock n roller pasted, test track, soarin, tsm, folk, etc. Are nothing special...do you honestly think they have done nothing right since 94?

bullsforthewin

No one is stating absolutely that Disney has done nothing right. But they do need to step up to the proverbial plate and meet the challenge Universal has presented with both imagination and investment. And that is a tall order for them right now.

Wouldn't cars land and fle and two new cruise ships and aulina count as stepping up their game?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
No, I don't view it as the same at the computer at all. These are phones that have become largely all purpose toys (and let's not get into the idiots who drive while using them ... the same crazy woman that almost hit me five days ago doing the same thing did it AGAIN today and she lives a good four miles from me!)

Smartphones ARE the new computers - certainly not toys. We are heading into the post-PC era. EVERYTHING is going mobile. Within the next few years smartphones and tablets will outsell desktops and laptops. You won't find any software developer now who is not creating solutions for devices like the iPhone and Android in parallel or ahead of a desktop version. Any company that works with the public and ignores mobile computing now is dead. But this is a whole other conversation.

WDW1974

I agree with everything you said (i think). What bothers me isn't so much that they are investing in this NextGen stuff...it's that they are emphasizing it while the competition is coming out with groundbreaking new attractions. Yes, we're getting new attractions too, but TLM isn't anything earth shattering.

You have no idea how ordinary this attraction is. Not bad, just OK. And that wouldn't be a problem if MK hadn't grown so stale and had regularly received new and updated attractions. But the way Disney is pumping this up, you'd believe it was an E-Ticket and it isn't close. There's more MAGIC and whimsy in Peter Pan's Flight.

I don't know how many people are actually "afraid" of the iPhone and the likes...I personally have a problem with the devotion to the iPhone and everything Apple. They're not the greatest thing on the planet. They're just very easy to use, look real nice, and are marketing in a way that makes you think you can't survive without it. What does worry me is that Disney and others are requiring you to use this technology all the time if you want to engage in the "full experience".

I'm not afraid, but I don't like anything that tracks me ... and saves every single piece of data on me (I do have issues with Internet providers for the same reason). I choose to not own an iPhone or any smartphone and that has been a bone of contention with people I've been contracted out to work for/with. The only time I've used one regularly has been while working in China because I know everything is being read anyway.

But people in the USA take a bite of the Apple and immediately succumb to the cult. Is it too soon to start talking about the fact Steve Jobs wasn't the nicest man? Or that he tried for years to not take parental responsibility for his daughter? Or that he really isn't another Walt? ... Yeah, thought it was too soon!

Should it be available as an add on? Sure, why not. Should you need it to be able to fully appreciate your day at the Magic Kingdom? Absolutely not. Should Disney be investing in it? Absolutely? Should they be pouring $1.5B+ into it while "Potter" still has gone relatively unanswered? That's a NO for me.

It is a mindblowing number for such a notoriously cheap company and everything has been spun to make you believe it is all going to improve your day at Disney ... when in fact much of it is being spent on back of the house items that you may not at all be comfortable with ... but, if so, you can just go to UNI and then the rest of us will have shorter lines!:rolleyes:

Can't wait til the National Park service develops some apps for when I'm hiking to tell me I'm having fun and when the appropriate time I need to scavenge for a bear or other form of wildlife is.

To be fair, I could have used a bear warning app (for my non-existent smart phone) when I was hiking in Sequoia a few years ago. ... If only that bear had really wanted to rip my neck off, just think how much happier the Disney fan community would have been!:wave:

~Three Words to Warm a Spirited Heart: Cheddar Bay Biscuits!~ :xmas:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Wouldn't cars land and fle and two new cruise ships and aulina count as stepping up their game?

CarsLand is in DL, and not applicable to a discussion of Florida parks. Same for the cruise lines, which are a separate entity as well. And the FLE will be nice, but in the end is simply adding capacity to a park where it was needed. That still leaves the other three parks in need of additions (and I'll keep including AK until I start seeing artwork for the Avatar expansion).

Lol most are haters like you...who think that despicable me is innovative and impressive while tot, rock n roller pasted, test track, soarin, tsm, folk, etc. Are nothing special...do you honestly think they have done nothing right since 94?
You misread my post if you believe i said that "they haven't done anything right since 1994". I was talking about the level of innovation and nowhere did I say that despicable me was innovative. What has WDW done since TOT that made you say "wow," they have not attempted to top FJ and they've had more than a decade to build an attraction on the level of Spiderman. I dont know how to convince you of the fact that im not hating WDW, but I will tell you to lose the pixie dust.

bullsforthewin

CarsLand is in DL, and not applicable to a discussion of Florida parks. Same for the cruise lines, which are a separate entity as well. And the FLE will be nice, but in the end is simply adding capacity to a park where it was needed. That still leaves the other three parks in need of additions (and I'll keep including AK until I start seeing artwork for the Avatar expansion).

But that raises a big issue...Disney has so many things to take care of that they can't just focus on wdw...so many seem to forget that

Horizonsfan

Don't take this the wrong way (and folks love doing that with my Spirited musings :drevil:), but I don't want to wait ANOTHER DECADE for things worth seeing at WDW. I've been waiting for 20 years for a new E-Ticket at the MK. It's now been 20 years since we've had a new night parade there. Need I go on?

I don't give a (blank) about WDW 50th. We (meaning the fans as Disney ignored it except for crappy retro tees, pins and vinyl!) just celebrated the 40th.

No, I don't want to wait another year for something new (yeah, good thing we're getting a second Dumbo soon!:rolleyes:) Just don't care about thinking about 2021 when its 2011. Sorry.

Ah, but Disney had conditioned a generation of fanbois that you don't swap out shows regularly. So what if EPCOT had about 10 different night shows from 1983-1999. All this generation knows is one show so it becomes a sacred cow (or goat if you prefer quality time with them:drevil:) ... when even Don Dorsey will tell you that 'it's long past time' to replace the show, it shouldn't still be playing. And just so we don't get into 'it's all about what YOU want Mr. Satan Babyeating '74', I'll state that RoE is one of my all-time faves, yet I am still grown-up enough to realize it's time has come and stayed ... and overstayed ... and is still overstaying ... like your Uncle Marty who arrived for Christmas on Dec. 19th and is still on your futon!:xmas:

Just wanted to make sure people didn't miss this post. :cool:

"been there for a long time" should never automatically equal "classic" or "timeless".

bullsforthewin

You misread my post if you believe i said that "they haven't done anything right since 1994". I was talking about the level of innovation and nowhere did I say that despicable me was innovative. What has WDW done since TOT that made you say "wow," they have not attempted to top FJ and they've had more than a decade to build an attraction on the level of Spiderman. I dont know how to convince you of the fact that im not hating WDW, but I will tell you to lose the pixie dust.

What have they done since tot that made me say wow....rrc, animal kingdom, tsm, soarin, test track, fantasmic, everest(when yeti works), etc.

Spiderman is good but those rides/attractions are on par or better in my opinion

disney fan 13

I would keep AK until Avatarland opens

WDW1974

It is an animated figure, not a proper AA. Universal have never managed a Disney calibre Animatronic, but I was hoping Potter would.

Sorry, it just didn't come across as ground-breaking. It was good, but not that special.

Disney doesn't build Disney caliber AA's anymore. Well, not in the USA anyway.

The Garner Holt figures at Mermaid at DCA are not what I'd really call AA's ... starfish that pivot around on a spinner are not AAs, no matter Disney's spin ... turtles that don't move individually, but sit on a moving platform are not AAs, no matter Disney's spin. Very few of the figures in Mermaid actually move very much at all.

I, like most who ride, was absolutely wowed by the entire FJ experience. It isn't perfect, but it is the best attraction to open in an existing O-Town park (so no DAK, no opening IOA etc) since ToT debutted back in 1994 (a lifetime ago, brother).

I can't argue your opinion. If you just liked it, that's fine. But in the industry, which most certainly includes Disney, FJ is considered groundbreaking. And its success is what pushed the deperate Weatherman into a letter of intent with James Cameron for what may be built at DAK in another 5-6 years.

~Three Words to Warm a Spirited Heart: Cheddar Bay Biscuits!~ :xmas:

WDW1974

Potter's Kuka arms are interesting, but like Mission Space, brand new ride system do not always equate to the best experience.

Spiderman basically took the EMV from Indy and added 3D screens. It's good, but the storyline and other factors make it far less impressive for me than Indy.

That is true.

Potter succeeds because people love the story/characters as well as the great ride system.

Space fails because it has very little story, isn't nearly as repetitive because you see the exact same thing every time on a small screen (what is it with Disney and screens, Tom Fitzgerald?) ... Oh, and it tends to make a small but significant amount of guests ill to the point of :hurl::hurl::hurl:.

Both Spidey and Indy succeed because they both tell a story and take you into another world while riding a fun ride.

There are three great attractions in the group above and one very expensive mediocre one because, in the end, story does matter (except for the crappy TT, the most overrated attraction in o-Town theme park history!)

~Will Also Take a Double-Double and Fries, Extra Crispy!~:xmas:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
ok, lets put this to rest, Spiderman/Transformers does NOT use the same ride system as IJA/Dinosaur....its capable of much more movement, including full 360 degree rotation. You might downplay that, but what is the teacups without the 360 degree motion.

Additionally, it wasn't just 3D movies, but they had to modify and warp the screens movement to work correctly from the unique angles the vehicles would be facing...requiring a lot of computer power.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom