Uni's New Plan For Potter Could Make Significant Dent To WDW

lebeau

bahhh... you rat. :fork:

c645f666-1f3e-41cc-9fe9-044adc207ae0.jpg

lebeau

You Disney haters sure do seem to throw you opinions out as facts...but I forgot hating WDW is your whole goal

Wha-huh? How'd I get on the Disney-hater train? I haven't even participated in this "conversation" (and I use that term loosely in this case).

Dang, I knew I should have really pushed the ignore button instead of just joking about it!

disney fan 13

I'm having fun laughing at you troll...but hey I learned one thing so far on these boards...UNI does nothing wrong according to some fanbois who talk about ignoring me...I also find it funny that the ones ignoring me haven't even tried to act civil...

Glad i can entertain you :) , and UNI is not perfect nor have i said this, i believe Rip ride rockit is a flop, and dudley doo really needs a refurb ( as does splash mountain so don't start. ) so yes i know UNI is not perfect. As for the acting civil remark , treat others the way you would like to be treated. ( i am just full of sayings today :king:.

drew81

You Disney haters sure do seem to throw you opinions out as facts...but I forgot hating WDW is your whole goal

I would hardly say that any of them hate WDW. They are simply stating issues that the resort has. Now, if you don't agree with what they saying you have every right to state your opinion as well. The resort does have some serious issues that have not been addressed for some time. I think we could all agree on that. Letting the Fantasmic sorcerer lift just rot and wither away without fixing it right makes no sense.

Do I love WDW? Yes I do. Do I love the Disney characters? Yes I do. Do I agree with every decision TDO makes because I'm a big Disney fan and think they can do no wrong? Absolutely not. They have made some big blunders and let certain things fall by the wayside and I will speak out(respectfully) about it. I discussed this with Meg Crofton one day at DHS. We talked for several minutes about characters, entertainment and parades etc.

Universal has stepped up their game. I think for the most part, people on this thread, who are criticizing TDO's decisions have validity.

bullsforthewin

I would hardly say that any of them hate WDW. They are simply stating issues that the resort has. Now, if you don't agree with what they saying you have every right to state your opinion as well. The resort does have some serious issues that have not been addressed for some time. I think we could all agree on that. Letting the Fantasmic sorcerer lift just rot and wither away without fixing it right makes no sense.

Do I love WDW? Yes I do. Do I love the Disney characters? Yes I do. Do I agree with every decision TDO makes because I'm a big Disney fan and think they can do no wrong? Absolutely not. They have made some big blunders and let certain things fall by the wayside and I will speak out(respectfully) about it. I discussed this with Meg Crofton one day at DHS. We talked for several minutes about characters, entertainment and parades etc.

Universal has stepped up their game. I think for the most part, people on this
thread, who are criticizing TDO's decisions have validity.

It gets sick when people act like Disney has done nothing right....which includes saying that no good new rides have been built

WDW1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by whylightbulb
I'll be the first to admit that Universal is far from perfect and that Disney does do some things better. While Creative has some very talented individuals overall it is one of the most disorganized and mismanaged divisions in the company. It is truly a miracle when a Universal project turns out right. If it weren't for J.K. and Warner Potter most likely would have been a failure. They always want to blame Mauer for Rockit's problems but a good portion of the blame lies with Creative. This is coming from someone that works with Creative a lot and in differrent capacities.

That being said Disney has other problems mainly because it is larger. Now that Universal is throwing a ton of money into new projects and has new owners we hope things will get better and certain people will disappear.

Also, they will be adding new people and experienced talent. I know many engineers that are leaving Disney for Universal because of better opportunities and more creative freedom and better pay.

The sad fact about WDI is there's more talent with the ex-WDI label (even that overrated Eddie Sotto bum!!!:ROFLOL:) working for others companies or having their own design studios than what's inside 1401 ... most of those who leave talk about politics and money people making creative decisions and having synergy projects shoved down their throats etc.

Look at the teams that created DLP and TDS, the best work that Disney has ever done. Look at how few of those people who are still with Disney or have any meaningful role in the creation of what is going into the parks. ... That would bring me to people with great talent like Tony Baxter ... folks that have hung on (and in his case I firmly believe it's because he knows where all the skeletons are) and are making HUGE salaries for doing almost nothing.

You just don't have the depth of talent at WDI that you had at WED in 1971 or WDI in 1991 ... and what you do have is neutered. Not a lot of big talents currently involved in Shanghai DL when Disney should have its All Star team working (and not talking those cheap motels, either!)

WDW1974

I hope that WDW gets a Remember Dreams Come True style fireworks show for the 50th. A show that honors the history and current attractions in the MK.

Don't take this the wrong way (and folks love doing that with my Spirited musings :drevil:), but I don't want to wait ANOTHER DECADE for things worth seeing at WDW. I've been waiting for 20 years for a new E-Ticket at the MK. It's now been 20 years since we've had a new night parade there. Need I go on?

I don't give a (blank) about WDW 50th. We (meaning the fans as Disney ignored it except for crappy retro tees, pins and vinyl!) just celebrated the 40th.

No, I don't want to wait another year for something new (yeah, good thing we're getting a second Dumbo soon!:rolleyes:) Just don't care about thinking about 2021 when its 2011. Sorry.

But I really can't wait for an updated Illuminations show. ROE is a good show, but it's way past time for a change, IMO.

Ah, but Disney had conditioned a generation of fanbois that you don't swap out shows regularly. So what if EPCOT had about 10 different night shows from 1983-1999. All this generation knows is one show so it becomes a sacred cow (or goat if you prefer quality time with them:drevil:) ... when even Don Dorsey will tell you that 'it's long past time' to replace the show, it shouldn't still be playing. And just so we don't get into 'it's all about what YOU want Mr. Satan Babyeating '74', I'll state that RoE is one of my all-time faves, yet I am still grown-up enough to realize it's time has come and stayed ... and overstayed ... and is still overstaying ... like your Uncle Marty who arrived for Christmas on Dec. 19th and is still on your futon!:xmas:

WDW1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW1974
And, Lee ... why did you look like you had been attacked by a vicious troll who stole your pixie dust earlier?

Bad man tell scary stories. Make Lee scared.
:D

You have NO IDEA (think me using my Uncle Scar voice here since we don't have a Scar smiley!) what that bad man could have told you if we had more time ... noooooo ideaaaaaaa.:drevil::eek::king:

raven

All this generation knows is one show so it becomes a sacred cow (or goat if you prefer quality time with them:drevil:) ... when even Don Dorsey will tell you that 'it's long past time' to replace the show, it shouldn't still be playing.

And I guess it makes no difference that guests have voted Illuminations: ROE the #1 nightime show at WDW for over 5 years now.

Why change a show if it's so highly rated? People still love it, many still haven't seen it, and it still draws in huge crowds every night.

c-one

Just interested, since you consider Universal to offer ground-breaking attractions, how often do you visit Universal vs WDW? Potter has an amazing queue, an interesting ride system, but is not ground-breaking. It lacks animatronics, it lacks realistic transitions from physical sets to the film sections, and Soarin' provides a much greater sensation of flight.

I actually would consider Potter ground-breaking -- the Kuka arm ride system is incredible, the dragon figure is amazing (the Dementors are *almost* amazing but not perfect), and the transitions are fine to me. I also think it provides nearly as great a simulation of flight as Soarin. And best of all (at least for me) -- no 3D glasses necessary! It's a great ride and as far as I'm concerned, the last new WDW ride that matches it is Tower of Terror or the CTX version of Dinosaur.

Beats the pants off of a Little Mermaid omnimover, that's for sure. ;)

I do think Avatarland, if executed right, could be as good or better than Potter. But given that it's 6 years away and we don't know anything about it, I'm not able to get excited just yet. It could be anything from a mindblowing immersive environment unlike anything we've seen before, to a Soarin' clone. I don't think WDI has lost their magic touch... it's just a question of whether the purse-holders will let them go wild.

bullsforthewin

And I guess it makes no difference that guests have voted Illuminations: ROE the #1 nightime show at WDW for over 5 years now.

Why change a show if it's so highly rated? People still love it, many still haven't seen it, and it still draws in huge crowds every night.

According to the haters popularity means nothing just their own opinion

WDW1974

Well at the very least if it has Jay Rasulo behind it we know that there's a decent chance it will be changed or cancelled mid stream.

Yes, but as a stockholder do I want to see Disney waste $487 million only to decide to 'go in a different direction'? No. And I don't see them chopping much of this program. Much like FP ... or DDP ... or DVC ... or pins ... or sticking WHo Wants to Be a Millionaire on five nights a week, this IS Disney.

They are going to shove this so far down our collective throats that we (blank) it out.

It's here to stay.

BTW, got your note and haven't answered yet because I am not sure of my plans, but if I am up, I'll be in touch!

~Three Words to Warm a Spirited Heart: Cheddar Bay Biscuits!~:xmas:

bullsforthewin

I actually would consider Potter ground-breaking -- the Kuka arm ride system is incredible, the dragon figure is amazing (the Dementors are *almost* amazing but not perfect), and the transitions are fine to me. I also think it provides nearly as great a simulation of flight as Soarin. And best of all (at least for me) -- no 3D glasses necessary! It's a great ride and as far as I'm concerned, the last new WDW ride that matches it is Tower of Terror or the CTX version of Dinosaur.

Beats the pants off of a Little Mermaid omnimover, that's for sure. ;)

The dementors are far from amazing....plus I love fj but I know plenty of people who will never experience it because of their size or the rides movement

According to the haters popularity means nothing just their own opinion
They're not haters there just simply stating the fact that there are many attactions that have gone by the wayside in terms of maintence and quality. You have to be blinded by pixie dust if you can't see that Uni is continuing to innovate and impress while WDW hasn't built anything on those levels since 1994.

c-one

The dementors are far from amazing....plus I love fj but I know plenty of people who will never experience it because of their size or the rides movement

In my book, rides don't get points off for being tough on our larger friends or for being exceptionally thrilling. Bring on the thrills. :drevil:

WDW1974

This is the view that a lot of people took at the dawn of the personal computer, and look at where we are now. You can't sit back and do nothing when the rest of the world is racing to bring technology to every part of life.

There has to be a balance with how much the tech is used, and I'm sure they will get it about right. Either way, the changes will position Disney with an important capability.

No, I don't view it as the same at the computer at all. These are phones that have become largely all purpose toys (and let's not get into the idiots who drive while using them ... the same crazy woman that almost hit me five days ago doing the same thing did it AGAIN today and she lives a good four miles from me!)

If you need toys to enjoy a theme park, then there's either something wrong with you or what the park offers or both.

If even haters like myself :rolleyes: can enjoy the parks without telling the world 'I'm at the TTA with seven others on 87Square' or Tweeting 'full house for Tiki Room ... gonna get a Dole Whip' ... I wonder how bored and how simple-minded these people that Disney thinks it's targeting are.

You go to a park to escape from the real world ... for the MAGIC, right? Not to be pulled right out of whatever time/place you've been transported into by people playing with toys.

And I guess Disney is just smarter than UNI and SW and TDO is smarter than the management teams that run the other resorts because WDW is the only place doing a massive spend on such an endeavor ... but, again, that's because the biggest win for the Mouse is data mining its guests and knowing everything from your children's favorite characters to the fact you were out of work for 18 months in 2009-10 and what your debt to open credit ratio is and whether you ever pay full price for anything to better determine how they will value you and treat you as a guest. And that doesn't sound MAGICal when you start talking about it, does it?

Much better to spin it as planning your entire trip from home (even though that goes against the whole idea of spontaneous fun in a happy place).

~Three Words to Warm a Spirited Heart: Cheddar Bay Biscuits!~ :xmas:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
It gets sick when people act like Disney has done nothing right....which includes saying that no good new rides have been built

No one is stating absolutely that Disney has done nothing right. But they do need to step up to the proverbial plate and meet the challenge Universal has presented with both imagination and investment. And that is a tall order for them right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom