Uni's New Plan For Potter Could Make Significant Dent To WDW

nerdboyrockstar

Forbidden Journey IS a groundbreaking attraction. It's a brand new ride system that puts riders in the story like never before, mixing fully realized sets with screens and animated figures.

Yes, Universal definitely does rely on screens for its latest attractions but sadly that seems to be the trend at WDW too. Soarin, Star Tours 2, Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, Toy Story Mania.. trying to think of anything else new.. Gran Fiesta Tour? lol

bullsforthewin

Forbidden Journey IS a groundbreaking attraction. It's a brand new ride system that puts riders in the story like never before, mixing fully realized sets with screens and animated figures.

Yes, Universal definitely does rely on screens for its latest attractions but sadly that seems to be the trend at WDW too. Soarin, Star Tours 2, Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, Toy Story Mania.. trying to think of anything else new.. Gran Fiesta Tour? lol

For as much as i like the ride some of the figures and sets are just bad...like the Dementors look like crap...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

The mixing of the physical sets and the screens is the biggest issue. Neither are done as well as they could be, the sets don't contain animatronics, and the screens are too small. The transition between the two is very jarring and not at all seamless. Don't get me wrong, it is good, but for me, not great.

disney fan 13

Thats how i feel...everyone acts like Spiderman is this amazing new ride that was completely original when it was not. I used to like Spiderman now i am just disappointed in how far it has fallen....

You do know that universal is currently upgradeing the graphics and digital projections so it looks like the ride was completed yesterday. Right?

nerdboyrockstar

You do know that universal is currently upgradeing the graphics and digital projections so it looks like the ride was completed yesterday. Right?

And that's just one of the things Universal in the pipeline. Spider-Man 2.0, Despicable Me, and a new nighttime lagoon show are all expected in 2012. A Harry Potter expansion, another E-ticket, a KidZone re-do and more are all in the works.

Disney's pipeline, as far as we know, is FLE and Avatar. I rode Mermaid in DCA and was disappointed, although I still enjoyed it for what it is, but I'm definitely looking forward to the Mine Train.

bullsforthewin

And that's just one of the things Universal in the pipeline. Spider-Man 2.0, Despicable Me, and a new nighttime lagoon show are all expected in 2012. A Harry Potter expansion, another E-ticket, a KidZone re-do and more are all in the works.

Disney's pipeline, as far as we know, is FLE and Avatar. I rode Mermaid in DCA and was disappointed, although I still enjoyed it for what it is, but I'm definitely looking forward to the Mine Train.

Yeah because you know Despicable Me is just going to be epic....wait no its not it is going to be the Hanna ride with a brand new paint job and new video for the second time...

Plus how do you know Disney does not have more stuff in the works? Im just saying that they could have stuff close to the chest

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Indiana Jones, Dinosaur...it took the same ride and just added a 3d screen....

I think it's a stretch to call these "the same ride". The sense of motion in Spiderman, for example in the scene where you get lifted up over the city, is not something that could be done with the Indiana Jones/Dinosaur technology. Don't get me wrong, I love Dinosaur (and I assume I will like Indiana Jones when I get to ride it), but I still think Spiderman was innovative ride technology for it's time and still holds up as a great ride even today.

bullsforthewin

I think it's a stretch to call these "the same ride". The sense of motion in Spiderman, for example in the scene where you get lifted up over the city, is not something that could be done with the Indiana Jones/Dinosaur technology. Don't get me wrong, I love Dinosaur (and I assume I will like Indiana Jones when I get to ride it), but I still think Spiderman was innovative ride technology for it's time and still holds up as a great ride even today.

How is it a stretch? It is the same ride system just they added a 3d screen...the sense of motion can be done with those other rides since it is the same ride technology...

GLaDOS

How is it a stretch? It is the same ride system just they added a 3d screen...the sense of motion can be done with those other rides since it is the same ride technology...

It's not the exact same ride technology. The two are similar, but not the same.

The fact remains that Spider-man was innovative for being the first attraction to successfully meld 3-D screens and video with a car that is always in motion. Not to mention the ride has fantastic sets, some pretty darn good physical special effects, a terrific finale that still amazes in how well it fools audiences, and a great story. It makes you feel like you're in a comic book. I dunno what else people can ask for.

Lee

Adventurer
Indiana Jones at DL from 95?

IMNSHO....Indy is the greatest ride ever, queue included.

But, if you take Indy out of the equation....FJ and Spidey top anything Disney has done since 95.
And Spidey is getting better soon. And Transformers should take that tech up another notch. And the new Potter ride is going to blow minds.

Disney is getting RSR, which is going to be a very nice upgrade to the Test Track ride system. Other than that....Little Mermaid?:snore: 7DMR? Nice, but not in the same league as what Uni is bringing.

Avatar? Still way too early to say.

Best bet for Disney to impress in the next few years...Tron in Shanghai.

bullsforthewin

It's not the exact same ride technology. The two are similar, but not the same.

The fact remains that Spider-man was innovative for being the first attraction to successfully meld 3-D screens and video with a car that is always in motion. Not to mention the ride has fantastic sets, some pretty darn good physical special effects, a terrific finale that still amazes in how well it fools audiences, and a great story. It makes you feel like you're in a comic book. I dunno what else people can ask for.

I personally used to love it...wish they used some different villains but that is beside the point...its the little things about that ride that get me now...the screen being poor quality, too much jerky movements, etc.

It is like the same problems i had with Dueling Dragons, it is a good coaster but the insanely long queue, the jerkiness to the point of getting a headache, etc. really ruin it for me.

bullsforthewin

IMNSHO....Indy is the greatest ride ever, queue included.

But, if you take Indy out of the equation....FJ and Spidey top anything Disney has done since 95.
And Spidey is getting better soon. And Transformers should take that tech up another notch. And the new Potter ride is going to blow minds.

Disney is getting RSR, which is going to be a very nice upgrade to the Test Track ride system. Other than that....Little Mermaid?:snore: 7DMR? Nice, but not in the same league as what Uni is bringing.

Avatar? Still way too early to say.

Best bet for Disney to impress in the next few years...Tron in Shanghai.

I will say this right now...i like Soarin more than Spidey and FJ...you may laugh but it has the best sense of flight in any ride i have ever been on.

With Transformers Uni is doing everything that some critics and haters say that disney does and that is use the same ride over and over again...so i will hold judgement on that.

What i am really interested in are the new rides that disney filed patents for...hopefully something good is coming out of it.

GLaDOS

I personally used to love it...wish they used some different villains but that is beside the point...its the little things about that ride that get me now...the screen being poor quality, too much jerky movements, etc.

It is like the same problems i had with Dueling Dragons, it is a good coaster but the insanely long queue, the jerkiness to the point of getting a headache, etc. really ruin it for me.

Sorry, but I don't know what rides you are riding. Spider-man is far from jerky, and Dragons is still very, very smooth. Hulk is a different story, but Dragons is still in great shape.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom