Uni's New Plan For Potter Could Make Significant Dent To WDW

WDW1974

Hands down. Loews hotels destroy Disney (deluxe). Much nicer hotels. I work at one of the Loews at Universal hotels and can say for myself since I go to a new Disney resort each year that Disney should be ashamed when compared to any Loews hotel really. I feel like Disney just pays off AAA for that four diamond award. Loews hotels are well deserving of that award, but not Disney's, atleast at WDW.

I sadly believe that AAA's diamonds are easily bought now and absolutely don't reflect the quality of a product.

WDW's deluxes are universally rated four diamonds based on amenities and not on the type of services and quality (everything from towels to 24-hour room service) that should make one qualify.

I've seen the same in Las Vegas. Bellagio is a 5-diamond winner and was given so much attention when they were awarded that status because of their size and location. And they used to offer a very high quality product that was certainly borderline of what one might expect from a resort of that level. I was recently there (although I didn't stay there) and the public areas in many places reminded me of Disney or worse ... dirty carpet ...torn furniture ... doors in the gift shop with wood gouged out and shoe prints all over from employees etc ... that isn't 5-diamond acceptable.

But companies like Disney and MGM Resorts can simply buy a rating.:rolleyes:

Ignohippo

Original Poster
Hotels. Agree.
Parks. Disagree. ... But I won't argue opinion without facts.

As to not having a family-centric resort at UNI, I'd strongly disagree and say all three resorts are good for families (especially RP). But while they are good places for families, they may not cater to them in a way you are used to from WDW.:xmas:

Wow. You're on a roll '74! Good to see you so active this week.

So what do you not agree with about the parks? For me, IOA is one of the very best parks in the nation (if not the best) and exactly what TDO should be striving for DHS to be. I truly believe that, if Dis would expand DHS (add Lucasland, a ToonTown, Monsters Inc, Cars, Incredibles attractions), it could be the second gate.

As for Uni Studios, well, it sucks. Even with Potter, it's no more than a half day park. So, with Disney's 4 parks (or 3 parks if you consider DHS and AK 1/2 day parks) compared to Uni's 1 1/2 parks, how could anyone not say WDW is better?

Ignohippo

Original Poster
You sound non biased lol...

Loews resorts make me think of one word....mediocre

Stayed at two of them and really wish i had my money back....

This is a ridiculous statement. I've stayed at three and they were easily the best hotels I've ever been to.

I don't know how anyone could call the Hard Rock or Potofino at Uni "mediocre".

devoy1701

Interestingly enough, with 3 of the Walt Disney World Parks hitting a Phased Closing yesterday, another park...one relatively new, also reached capacity and will probably do so a few more times this week.

I saw on the news this morning that LegoLand was having to turn people away yesterday after reaching their capacity limits. While it might not seem like that big of a deal, it means that LegoLand most certainly is a player in town that is competing for and taking people away from WDW. Cypress Gardens didn't draw those types of crowds in the last 2 decades. And Legoland is already planning an expansion. Between the success of Legoland and Harry Potter, I sure would like to see a light turn on with TDO to kick things into high gear (and I don't mean Avatar in 2017...get real!).

DougK

Wow you really have no idea what you are talking about. Overrated? LOL...but hey you and 74 are just whiners i guess

No need to be rude.

Have you ever eaten at Coral Reef? Have you seen the menu? Have you seen the small selection of entrees, the higher than necessary prices? I could handle the high prices (it is in a theme park after all so I don't expect a bargain) if the quality and selection were much better but that is just not the case.

Please don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about. You can disagree if you want but you can be more respectful.

MarkTwain

Interestingly enough, with 3 of the Walt Disney World Parks hitting a Phased Closing yesterday, another park...one relatively new, also reached capacity and will probably do so a few more times this week.

I saw on the news this morning that LegoLand was having to turn people away yesterday after reaching their capacity limits. While it might not seem like that big of a deal, it means that LegoLand most certainly is a player in town that is competing for and taking people away from WDW. Cypress Gardens didn't draw those types of crowds in the last 2 decades. And Legoland is already planning an expansion. Between the success of Legoland and Harry Potter, I sure would like to see a light turn on with TDO to kick things into high gear (and I don't mean Avatar in 2017...get real!).

Good for Legoland! I too was glad to read that they've found so much success this year. I would love if it this drove some expansion so they can continue to call out WDW's lack of fresh offerings.

bullsforthewin

No I really am non biased. I've stayed at the Portofino and the Don and they both were better. I wish Disney deluxe hotels were on par with them, but I honestly don't think they are. Which ones did you stay at?

I stayed at Portofino, while not a bad resort it was mediocre in the sense that it was not worth the price i paid.

I also stayed at the Royal Pacific, same experience really. but i did like that one better than Portofino

bullsforthewin

Please, don't feed the troll.. Every post this NEW MEMEBR has added has done nothing but bash anyone who sings the praises of UNI or anything NON-Disney while attacking members for singing these praises.. Either this is a bored school boy or girl who is withering away in front of the computer waiting for their Christmas break to be over, or they are here trolling to cause problems... I venture it is probably both..

Lol so i am a troll for stating my opinion but you are not when all you do is ATTACK disney...kinda hypocritical

bullsforthewin

This is a ridiculous statement. I've stayed at three and they were easily the best hotels I've ever been to.

I don't know how anyone could call the Hard Rock or Potofino at Uni "mediocre".

Since you say its rediculous it must be so and let me guess you also think that Disney buys their diamond ratings because we all know that whatever 74 says is true and he is not at all a rabid anti-disney fanboi

bullsforthewin

No need to be rude.

Have you ever eaten at Coral Reef? Have you seen the menu? Have you seen the small selection of entrees, the higher than necessary prices? I could handle the high prices (it is in a theme park after all so I don't expect a bargain) if the quality and selection were much better but that is just not the case.

Please don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about. You can disagree if you want but you can be more respectful.

I have eaten there and to even think that Red Lobster is in the same league makes me laugh...im sorry but i still cant believe you said that. But i understand why you and 74 have an unnatural hatred of DIsney

devoy1701

Good for Legoland! I too was glad to read that they've found so much success this year. I would love if it this drove some expansion so they can continue to call out WDW's lack of fresh offerings.

It's definitely an exciting time for Central FL theme parks for every but Disney it seems. I'm looking forward to the TEA report for the 2011 Attendance #s to see where IoA and Legoland sat this year (and to see how WDW did in retaining visitors). I know the report is just estimated. But for Uni to be fast-tracking a Harry Potter Expansion to the point where one of it's signature attraction is being shuttered with such a short notice AND a theme park that has gone bankrupt twice in the last 10 years is now reaching capacity limits in it's first year of operation as Legoland, I really don't get how Disney isn't having to play damage control yet! I mean give us something!

And not "Add a free day to your stay...even if you've already done everything these is to do in our parks over and over!"

For starters, lets' hear Avatar being phased opened and projects greenlit for late 2013...or what's really going on with Hyperion Wharf...or what the plans are for Test Track, Pixar Place (or the rest of the Studios).
#comeonTDOyouarekillingme!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It's definitely an exciting time for Central FL theme parks for every but Disney it seems. I'm looking forward to the TEA report for the 2011 Attendance #s to see where IoA and Legoland sat this year (and to see how WDW did in retaining visitors). I know the report is just estimated. But for Uni to be fast-tracking a Harry Potter Expansion to the point where one of it's signature attraction is being shuttered with such a short notice AND a theme park that has gone bankrupt twice in the last 10 years is now reaching capacity limits in it's first year of operation as Legoland, I really don't get how Disney isn't having to play damage control yet! I mean give us something!

And not "Add a free day to your stay...even if you've already done everything these is to do in our parks over and over!"

For starters, lets' hear Avatar being phased opened and projects greenlit for late 2013...or what's really going on with Hyperion Wharf...or what the plans are for Test Track, Pixar Place (or the rest of the Studios).
#comeonTDOyouarekillingme!

You know that World of Disney, a shop, has a higher annual attendance than either of the Universal Parks. I don't think Disney need to worry about attendance just yet.

Lee

Adventurer
The thing is, Disney doesn't want to lose any market share at all. That's why Uni is now such a thorn in their side at the moment.

Taking an attendance hit is almost beside the point.

Lee

Adventurer
World of Disney has 8 million guests per year. In 2010 IOA had just under 6 million, and Universal Studios had just under 6 million.

That 8mil is a fascinating figure.
Do they know it's 8mil unique guests, or are they just counting traffic or receipts?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
That 8mil is a fascinating figure.
Do they know it's 8mil unique guests, or are they just counting traffic or receipts?

Yeah it is astonishing. I don't know the method used to calculate, but I'm assuming it is bodies through the door.

kcnole

I for one am very happy to see alternatives to Disney popping up all over. I've long been a very big fan of the Universal parks, even well before HP came in. To this day, outside of my local regional park that's only an hour away, its the only place I've ever owned an annual pass to.

Their hotels are amazing (I don't know how anyone can say that they got ripped off at them, especially in comparison to Disney resorts) and the parks have great rides with fun theming. My only complaint with the Universal theming is the reliance on studio buildings that makes the entrance to the original park boring (That and the stupid coaster they plopped right by the entrance) but the experience is fantastic.

Add in the great additions to Sea World over the next few years and the truly wonderful park that Legoland appears to be becoming and you can easily spend a week or more in Orlando without ever hitting up Disney. I love Disney, but I do see the drop in quality and value for what you get there and I'm more than willing to have fun in other locations with my family.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom