Uni's New Plan For Potter Could Make Significant Dent To WDW

WDW1974

As a native of the Gulf coast, not the north Atlantic, EVERY upscale seafood restaurant that I went to did NOT serve lobster. Most, if not all, upscale New Orleans, Houston, or Tampa ones don't serve lobster because it's not a native species. I could take you to several seafood places that the catch of the day slept in the Gulf of Mexico last night and was caught by a boat that was either owned or leased by that restaurant. I agree with you that Coral Reef is overpriced for the level of quality but the lack of lobster is fairly common around the Gulf; even in upscale places. A small point of contention, I know but I had to say something. :wave:

Fair enough, although I have never been in an upscale seafood restaurant anywhere myself that didn't have lobster on the menu ... from SoFla to O-Town to Vegas to Hawaii to Asia to Europe.

I am not disputing what you have experienced, just that it is by no means common.

Look, Red Lobster is in the casual dining category and they are able to fly in fresh lobster and fish every day to locations all over the world ... yet WDW's answer is a pork chop ... a chicken ... or salmon.

And CR was one of my favorite WDW dining locales and I can tell you when they opened and well after they not only had lobster on the menu, but also had a list of fresh seafood every day (you know, like you get at say ... a Red Lobster) and they had a few dozen of choices (like most Disney restaurants in the 80s and 90s).

Coral Reef is simply a Walmarted 'Pick one of Eight' (like most Disney locations) with a huge fishtank. :xmas:

MiklCraw4d

Where have you gotten this info? I haven't heard anything about this until now.

I certainly hope that's true. If so, just that should be making TDO quake. I can't imagine what the panic must be like about the HP expansion then. That's a huge stat if true.

Unfortunately I can't say, which I know sounds like the most cornball nonsense ever on the internet, but it's the best I can do...

Anyway, I was actually really, really surprised by it. I had no idea it would be that much of an effect. And I can't even guess how Disney will decide to respond (or not). Obviously Avatar is the first salvo, and NGE will be an attempt to re-ensnare folks. I just can't predict whether that'll be successful. Potter is a draw, and more Potter is going to be more of a draw. If they ever build a Potter-themed hotel (no idea if this is a possibility or not)... lordy.

I think 74 is right. Once people get out of their rut and become accustomed to leaving property it could open the doors to many things. Legoland, Seaworld, KSC...

The only real problem is if you want to spend a 6th day at Disney, it's like $5 or something. If you want to spent that 6th day at Universal, it's $80. That's a hard barrier to overcome for the outsiders.

WDW1974

Wow. You're on a roll '74! Good to see you so active this week.

It's just the holiday Spirit washing over me! :xmas:

So what do you not agree with about the parks? For me, IOA is one of the very best parks in the nation (if not the best) and exactly what TDO should be striving for DHS to be. I truly believe that, if Dis would expand DHS (add Lucasland, a ToonTown, Monsters Inc, Cars, Incredibles attractions), it could be the second gate.

As for Uni Studios, well, it sucks. Even with Potter, it's no more than a half day park. So, with Disney's 4 parks (or 3 parks if you consider DHS and AK 1/2 day parks) compared to Uni's 1 1/2 parks, how could anyone not say WDW is better?

I don't agree that UNI ... well, sucks. It is a fine park with some great attractions, theming and dining.

I also don't believe in this notion that WDW's sheer size makes up for all the things it does poorly.

Would you rather have four Whoppers or two filet mignons?

I don't believe UNI is better than Disney or that Disney is better than UNI, but I don't judge based on amount of parks/size. UNI is investing in their parks and Disney, until very recently absolutely wasn't. Now, they are, but I can argue it is the bare minimum. And how the Fantasyland additions add something to a guest's day at EPCOT or TPFKaTD-MGMS is something I don't understand. By that logic we could say look at Carsland or the Disney Fantasy and say they make WDW better because they are both going to be great additions ... but not to the four WDW parks.

Does that 'splain where I am coming from better? :xmas:

whylightbulb

I have eaten there and to even think that Red Lobster is in the same league makes me laugh...im sorry but i still cant believe you said that. But i understand why you and 74 have an unnatural hatred of DIsney
They don't have a hatred of Disney but more a hatred of what WDW management has done to WDW. To accuse someone that visits multiple Disney parks as often as 74 does as a Disney hater is erroneous. Also 74 has stated numerous times that he loves the Disney parks.

bullsforthewin

It's just the holiday Spirit washing over me! :xmas:

I don't agree that UNI ... well, sucks. It is a fine park with some great attractions, theming and dining.

I also don't believe in this notion that WDW's sheer size makes up for all the things it does poorly.

Would you rather have four Whoppers or two filet mignons?

I don't believe UNI is better than Disney or that Disney is better than UNI, but I don't judge based on amount of parks/size. UNI is investing in their parks and Disney, until very recently absolutely wasn't. Now, they are, but I can argue it is the bare minimum. And how the Fantasyland additions add something to a guest's day at EPCOT or TPFKaTD-MGMS is something I don't understand. By that logic we could say look at Carsland or the Disney Fantasy and say they make WDW better because they are both going to be great additions ... but not to the four WDW parks.

Does that 'splain where I am coming from better? :xmas:

UNI theming is amazing...you know instead of creating three or four new rides just create one new one then put a new paint job on the other two and a new video on the last and call them new rides...

WDW1974

Interestingly enough, with 3 of the Walt Disney World Parks hitting a Phased Closing yesterday, another park...one relatively new, also reached capacity and will probably do so a few more times this week.

I saw on the news this morning that LegoLand was having to turn people away yesterday after reaching their capacity limits. While it might not seem like that big of a deal, it means that LegoLand most certainly is a player in town that is competing for and taking people away from WDW. Cypress Gardens didn't draw those types of crowds in the last 2 decades. And Legoland is already planning an expansion. Between the success of Legoland and Harry Potter, I sure would like to see a light turn on with TDO to kick things into high gear (and I don't mean Avatar in 2017...get real!).

I think the Disney mentality is one of arrogance, one of 'the more people who come to Central Florida, the better things will be for us no matter whether we invest a billion in each of our stale parks or do absolutely nothing but stage marketing campaigns and sell DVC' ... But I could be wrong.

Avatar, no matter how poor a choice to me, was a kneejerk reaction by Iger and Staggs to Potter's success.

Now, you have a Phase II to Potter that is going to massive in scope and spending (and won't be the only thing you'll likely be seeing at UNI-FLA). You also have SW investing in a huge new themed area and expanding Discovery Cove, while constantly improving smaller things (like seasonal offerings). You have Legoland, which absolutely goes after Disney's No. 1 demo.

Maybe The Mouse will blink. And instead of renaming the snowglobe parade for the 23rd time or announce the other four DVCs they have already put on their plans, they'll actually announce major attractions for their parks.

I'm not hopeful, again, but I so want to be wrong on this one. :xmas:

DougK

I have eaten there and to even think that Red Lobster is in the same league makes me laugh...im sorry but i still cant believe you said that. But i understand why you and 74 have an unnatural hatred of DIsney

I don't have a hatred of Disney, natural or otherwise. While I have not been going to WDW nearly as long as he has, like WDW74 I have seen the decline of the Disney restaurants personally over the past 8 years or so. This is why I feel so strongly about things like the tiny amount of entrees offered on their menus, the mediocre food and the unnecessarily high prices, especially the selection and quality issues. It used to be better, alot better.

So it is now to the point that one of WDWs most famous seafood restaurants has sunk below the quality and selection of a chain like Red Lobster. That is just sad and I wouldn't have believed it just a few years ago.

You are entitled to your opinion but I just do not agree. Luckily for you Disney is catering to people just like you with their Dining Plan. Enjoy! :)

bullsforthewin

They don't have a hatred of Disney but more a hatred of what WDW management has done to WDW. To accuse someone that visits multiple Disney parks as often as 74 does as a Disney hater is erroneous. Also 74 has stated numerous times that he loves the Disney parks.

Lol nothing that 74 says rings true to me at all. The same guy calls anyone who likes WDW a fanboi then gets mad like a fanboi if someone says something bad about UNI or TDL...yeah sorry i know his kind...he is a bitter person with an unnatural hatred of WDW

GLaDOS

UNI theming is amazing...you know instead of creating three or four new rides

Someone will be eating these words in a few months.:wave:

just create one new one then put a new paint job on the other two and a new video on the last and call them new rides...

Hippogryff and Dragon Challenge were never billed as new rides.

As for the last one, I'm guessing you're talking about Despicable Me? Well, that's no different than what Disney did with Star Tours, now is it?

bullsforthewin

I don't have a hatred of Disney, natural or otherwise. While I have not been going to WDW nearly as long as he has, like WDW74 I have seen the decline of the Disney restaurants personally over the past 8 years or so. This is why I feel so strongly about things like the tiny amount of entrees offered on their menus, the mediocre food and the unnecessarily high prices, especially the selection and quality issues. It used to be better, alot better.

So it is now to the point that one of WDWs most famous seafood restaurants has sunk below the quality and selection of a chain like Red Lobster. That is just sad and I wouldn't have believed it just a few years ago.

You are entitled to your opinion but I just do not agree. Luckily for you Disney is catering to people just like you with their Dining Plan. Enjoy! :)

Mediocre food? What are you going to say next that V&A is nothing special lol

If you honestly think that Red Lobster is quality or that any restaurant has sunk below it i cannot honestly listen to a word you say without laughing.

Lucky for me Disney is catering to people who know good food and not people like you who think that Red Lobster is good lol...but hey rag on the DDP for no real reason.

bullsforthewin

Someone will be eating these words in a few months.:wave:

Hippogryff and Dragon Challenge were never billed as new rides.

As for the last one, I'm guessing you're talking about Despicable Me? Well, that's no different than what Disney did with Star Tours, now is it?

The last one i was talking about was Simpsons Ride...Disney still calls it Star Tours because it is still the same ride just a new video.

I will gladly eat my words if Uni brings something amazing again or if they flop like they did with RRR then i will laugh

DougK

I wish I could visit the Disney parks as much as WDW74 does! I don't hate Disney, I love them, but I find nothing wrong with pointing out weaknesses in management. Without speaking for WDW74 I bet all he really wants is for the management to improve and go back to the quality of the past.

bullsforthewin

I think the Disney mentality is one of arrogance, one of 'the more people who come to Central Florida, the better things will be for us no matter whether we invest a billion in each of our stale parks or do absolutely nothing but stage marketing campaigns and sell DVC' ... But I could be wrong.

Avatar, no matter how poor a choice to me, was a kneejerk reaction by Iger and Staggs to Potter's success.

Now, you have a Phase II to Potter that is going to massive in scope and spending (and won't be the only thing you'll likely be seeing at UNI-FLA). You also have SW investing in a huge new themed area and expanding Discovery Cove, while constantly improving smaller things (like seasonal offerings). You have Legoland, which absolutely goes after Disney's No. 1 demo.

Maybe The Mouse will blink. And instead of renaming the snowglobe parade for the 23rd time or announce the other four DVCs they have already put on their plans, they'll actually announce major attractions for their parks.

I'm not hopeful, again, but I so want to be wrong on this one. :xmas:

Your right Disney should get rid of the DVC....lower ticket prices....bring a new parade every year and still invest 4 billion into WDW every year...that is completely possible...smh :brick:

bullsforthewin

I wish I could visit the Disney parks as much as WDW74 does! I don't hate Disney, I love them, but I find nothing wrong with pointing out weaknesses in management. Without speaking for WDW74 I bet all he really wants is for the management to improve and go back to the quality of the past.

I would believe that if he did not attack every person who says they like anything about WDW and if he did not blindly love UNI which has so many issues it is not even funny

DougK

Mediocre food? What are you going to say next that V&A is nothing special lol

If you honestly think that Red Lobster is quality or that any restaurant has sunk below it i cannot honestly listen to a word you say without laughing.

Lucky for me Disney is catering to people who know good food and not people like you who think that Red Lobster is good lol...but hey rag on the DDP for no real reason.

V&A is exceptional. And they are NOT on the Dining Plan which I already pointed out is the main culprit in the decline of the restaurants at WDW.

devoy1701

Lol nothing that 74 says rings true to me at all. The same guy calls anyone who likes WDW a fanboi then gets mad like a fanboi if someone says something bad about UNI or TDL...yeah sorry i know his kind...he is a bitter person with an unnatural hatred of WDW

Oh you'll come around.
Once you've been around long enough to realize that 74/Spirit knows exactly what he's talking about and that there is a difference between being "hyped up on Pixie Dust" and "Being critical because we know what TWDC used to be capable of"... you'll come around. :wave:

GLaDOS

The last one i was talking about was Simpsons Ride.

That's a new ride though. new video, new queue, new ride programming, new preshow. Dunno how that doesn't count as a new ride.

I guess that means when Disney changes up their 3-D shows they don't count as new attractions because it uses the same theater, right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom