Uni's New Plan For Potter Could Make Significant Dent To WDW

Bolna

I dont think this will make an impact on WDW. We were just there to both parks (Uni & Disney), and Uni doesnt even hold a flame to Disney. Even with the new extension at Uni all you will need is 1 day there. My husband and I both said ok, we saw Harry Potter, now we dont have to go back. We don't feel that way about Disney, we go every year!!

The thing is, that one person's personal experience is just that. While some people might think like you, others might see it quite differently. My first time at Uni was one day this October. And while we were lucky and did see a lot thank to very low crowds, I certainly want to go back for at least two days, maybe longer. And I am looking into staying in one of the Universal Resorts.

So, while both reactions might be possible, just the fact that there are people like me is bad for Disney from their business point of view. Until now I have been one of the people who flew to Orlando just to visit WDW. I am not anymore.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
It'll be a major announcement event. I expect it would come at a time that would guarantee maximum exposure...and to steal some thunder from the competition. Like, say...when Disney has something to grand open...

Maybe during the "year of more free churros" event on NYE?

Ignohippo

Original Poster
The thing is, that one person's personal experience is just that. While some people might think like you, others might see it quite differently. My first time at Uni was one day this October. And while we were lucky and did see a lot thank to very low crowds, I certainly want to go back for at least two days, maybe longer. And I am looking into staying in one of the Universal Resorts.

So, while both reactions might be possible, just the fact that there are people like me is bad for Disney from their business point of view. Until now I have been one of the people who flew to Orlando just to visit WDW. I am not anymore.

Exactly. I can tell you that we've stayed at the Hard Rock and the Portofino and IMO, the quality of the hotels, guest experience, and convenience to CityWalk and the parks puts the Uni hotels head and shoulders above WDW for me. Unfortunately, their park offerings aren't even close to the quality of WDW (even though IOA destroys DHS), so WDW is where our allegiance lies.

Uni really loses it by not having a more family-centered resort on property as well.

Bolna

What happens when they realize that maybe they shouldn't spend all their money on Disney resorts? What happens when they realize that maybe they should give Sea World a try ... or Discovery Cove ... or Legoland ... or Cape Canaveral ... or simply one of the many outlet malls? What happens when they realize they can get better seafood at 1/3rd the price by dropping into Red Lobster instead of making a reservation for the Coral Reef (you know, the seafood place that doesn't even have lobster on the menu and has about eight entrees, maybe three that actually come from the oceans) six months ahead of time? What happens when they realize they can shop off-property for tees and the like? Or simply drop $40-60 at Publix on snacks for a week instead of spending that in a day (or more) at WDW?

THAT is what concerns Disney so much.

Once folks are off-property anything can happen.

Yes, people might start to realise how much Disney is overcharging their product.

Finding out that I can have a wonderful meal - comparable to my favourites of California Grill and Flying Fish - at Tchoup Chop for the same price as dinner at Kona Cafe has certainly made me think.

Or look at the Wild Africa Trek which costs nearly $ 200. Discovery Cove gives you a very exclusive Animal experience as well and on most days does not cost that much more, but gives you a full day's experience plus admission to Sea World as well.

I think Disney is starting to feel that people begin to move away from spending all their vacation dollars at Disney. One sign for me was the announcement that DVCers would be able to buy the TiW card. Sounds like a great perk for DVC owners. But I think the reason is that getting the card will get people to eat exclusively at the Disney restaurants owned by the card - and maybe in the end spend more money because prices appear to be less outrageous once you factor the discount into them as compared to without the discount.

bullsforthewin

You are missing the essence of 74s point. It is not that Red Lobster is the best seafood restaurant of all time, it is that Coral Reef (and 99% of the other Disney restaurants) is so overrated, unnecessarily expensive and has such a small menu selection including, as he said, not even having lobster on the menu. Pretty bad for a supposed seafood place. Blame the Dining Plan!

Red Lobster has a nice selection, decent prices and now they even have daily fresh fish.

Red Lobster is ten times better than Coral Reef however they do have much smaller fish tanks, but at least those tanks contain lobsters!

Wow you really have no idea what you are talking about. Overrated? LOL...but hey you and 74 are just whiners i guess

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Wow you really have no idea what you are talking about. Overrated? LOL...but hey you and 74 are just whiners i guess

Not whining, but noting a decline in overall quality at some of the restaurants at WDW. Coral Reef is ideal for its ambiance, but the quality of the food there has declined for what they charge. I don't necessarily find Red Lobster to be an "on-par" comparison, but for what that chain charges as compared to Coral Reef, it's not an unkind one in the least.

Scuttle

Exactly. I can tell you that we've stayed at the Hard Rock and the Portofino and IMO, the quality of the hotels, guest experience, and convenience to CityWalk and the parks puts the Uni hotels head and shoulders above WDW for me. Unfortunately, their park offerings aren't even close to the quality of WDW (even though IOA destroys DHS), so WDW is where our allegiance lies.

Uni really loses it by not having a more family-centered resort on property as well.

Hands down. Loews hotels destroy Disney (deluxe). Much nicer hotels. I work at one of the Loews at Universal hotels and can say for myself since I go to a new Disney resort each year that Disney should be ashamed when compared to any Loews hotel really. I feel like Disney just pays off AAA for that four diamond award. Loews hotels are well deserving of that award, but not Disney's, atleast at WDW.

bullsforthewin

Hands down. Loews hotels destroy Disney (deluxe). Much nicer hotels. I work at one of the Loews at Universal hotels and can say for myself since I go to a new Disney resort each year that Disney should be ashamed when compared to any Loews hotel really. I feel like Disney just pays off AAA for that four diamond award. Loews hotels are well deserving of that award, but not Disney's, atleast at WDW.

Lol i have to strongly disagree with your obvious nonbiased view lol....sorry i could not even say that with a straight face.

I have stayed at those so called great resorts and all i have to say is...RIPOFF...

But hey if you think a joke of polynesian themed resort is great i guess it must be so and has nothing to do with the fact that you work there...lol

Yacht and Beach Club destroy the Loew resorts with ease...but hey you actually think that disney pays off AAA lol

bullsforthewin

You sound non biased lol...

Loews resorts make me think of one word....mediocre

Stayed at two of them and really wish i had my money back....

WDW1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL
on another board with the words United and Orlando in the title...someone had info on the plans for Jaws to be converted to Harry Potter as far back as 2008!

Not surprising at all.
In 2008 the "Jaws plan" was part of the long-range expansion possibilities being considered. At that early time, it was very "blue sky" and without any real plan.
(I remember using MSM maps to try to figure out if it was even possible.:lol:)

The decision to actually go through with it, and what exactly to put there, it is much more recent.

A lot of things get talked about and tossed around. I don't believe anything remotely serious was talked about back then. More of a 'what if' ... one of so many these resorts ask annually.

And as crazy as it may be to say:eek::D:drevil:, Lee is correct ... these decisions were relatively recent. :xmas:

Scuttle

You sound non biased lol...

Loews resorts make me think of one word....mediocre

Stayed at two of them and really wish i had my money back....

No I really am non biased. I've stayed at the Portofino and the Don and they both were better. I wish Disney deluxe hotels were on par with them, but I honestly don't think they are. Which ones did you stay at?

WDW1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLaDOS
Any idea when we'll be hearing about all of this?

It'll be a major announcement event. I expect it would come at a time that would guarantee maximum exposure...and to steal some thunder from the competition. Like, say...when Disney has something to grand open...

Ah, my minion of Disney Hate and UNI Love ... you would think that, wouldn't you?

Makes sense ... if you are the UNI of old.

But they aren't, there's a new sheriff (where's the old crazy Frank from New Mexico?) doncha know? ... I guess I'm just gonna have to talk to ya this year! Damn, thought I was free 'til '12.

:xmas:

WDW1974

This post is unnecessarily harsh. Even Coral Reef is better than friggin' Red Lobster. :wave:

An upscale, pricey seafood restaurant that doesn't serve lobster and often has 2-3 seafood items while serving a steak, chicken, pork chops and pasta ... and, of course, drinks with glow cubes isn't worthy of anything but my scorn and derision. :xmas:

Captain Chaos

No I really am non biased. I've stayed at the Portofino and the Don and they both were better. I wish Disney deluxe hotels were on par with them, but I honestly don't think they are. Which ones did you stay at?

Please, don't feed the troll.. Every post this NEW MEMEBR has added has done nothing but bash anyone who sings the praises of UNI or anything NON-Disney while attacking members for singing these praises.. Either this is a bored school boy or girl who is withering away in front of the computer waiting for their Christmas break to be over, or they are here trolling to cause problems... I venture it is probably both..

WDW1974

You are missing the essence of 74s point. It is not that Red Lobster is the best seafood restaurant of all time, it is that Coral Reef (and 99% of the other Disney restaurants) is so overrated, unnecessarily expensive and has such a small menu selection including, as he said, not even having lobster on the menu. Pretty bad for a supposed seafood place. Blame the Dining Plan!

Red Lobster has a nice selection, decent prices and now they even have daily fresh fish.

Red Lobster is ten times better than Coral Reef however they do have much smaller fish tanks, but at least those tanks contain lobsters!

And Doug for the win!:xmas:

RunnerEd

An upscale, pricey seafood restaurant that doesn't serve lobster and often has 2-3 seafood items while serving a steak, chicken, pork chops and pasta ... and, of course, drinks with glow cubes isn't worthy of anything but my scorn and derision. :xmas:

As a native of the Gulf coast, not the north Atlantic, EVERY upscale seafood restaurant that I went to did NOT serve lobster. Most, if not all, upscale New Orleans, Houston, or Tampa ones don't serve lobster because it's not a native species. I could take you to several seafood places that the catch of the day slept in the Gulf of Mexico last night and was caught by a boat that was either owned or leased by that restaurant. I agree with you that Coral Reef is overpriced for the level of quality but the lack of lobster is fairly common around the Gulf; even in upscale places. A small point of contention, I know but I had to say something. :wave:

WDW1974

Hotels. Agree.
Parks. Disagree. ... But I won't argue opinion without facts.

As to not having a family-centric resort at UNI, I'd strongly disagree and say all three resorts are good for families (especially RP). But while they are good places for families, they may not cater to them in a way you are used to from WDW.:xmas:

WDW1974

Yes, people might start to realise how much Disney is overcharging their product.

Sshhh ... TDO can hear you!:animwink:

Finding out that I can have a wonderful meal - comparable to my favourites of California Grill and Flying Fish - at Tchoup Chop for the same price as dinner at Kona Cafe has certainly made me think.

Someone else here with MAGICally great taste in food. Tchoup Chop is now a must on every O-Town visit. They have great lunches at prices that are barely above Disney/UNI QS prices ... and they have dinner entrees (as you obviously know) that start in the teens. Truly one of the best restaurants in all of Central Florida for food, service and value.

And Kona Cafe ... a basic hotel coffee shop at prices that are moderate to expensive in real world terms.

Of course, I'm the Spirit who will head over to the DD Hilton's Benihana for a lunch that is a quarter or half the price of Tepan Edo (and better quality) where I can just walk in and not make a ressie six months out ... or head to Fulton's instead of Coral Reef ... or Il Mulino instead of Tutto Italia etc.

Or look at the Wild Africa Trek which costs nearly $ 200. Discovery Cove gives you a very exclusive Animal experience as well and on most days does not cost that much more, but gives you a full day's experience plus admission to Sea World as well.

I think the SW admission is actually for an entire week (not that I could ever see spending more than two days there even if you love marine creatures and kewl coasters). Still, a lot more value than Disney.

I think Disney is starting to feel that people begin to move away from spending all their vacation dollars at Disney. One sign for me was the announcement that DVCers would be able to buy the TiW card. Sounds like a great perk for DVC owners. But I think the reason is that getting the card will get people to eat exclusively at the Disney restaurants owned by the card - and maybe in the end spend more money because prices appear to be less outrageous once you factor the discount into them as compared to without the discount.

Yes. I just discussed this with a good friend today. I firmly believe it is designed for the DVCers who aren't dumb enough to fall for the DDP trap and who see the pumped up prices used to justify it. Many of those folks are likely opting to head off-site or non-Disney locations and this is one more trick designed to keep them prisoners. At the rate Disney has increased prices -- I had a DDE membership from 1995-2008 -- they'd have to increase the discount to at least 35% from 20% to even get me to consider it again.

An educated consumer is NOT Disney's best customer.
:xmas:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom