Uni's New Plan For Potter Could Make Significant Dent To WDW

WDW1974

You know that World of Disney, a shop, has a higher annual attendance than either of the Universal Parks. I don't think Disney need to worry about attendance just yet.

I know you didn't personally mean it that way, Steve ... but the above is the same type of smug 'tude that does come across at TDO.

I can just see some of the execs sitting around a lunch (at the LBV Red Lobster where I have REALLY seen some dining before on their company DREAMS, WISHES, MAGIC Visa cards) saying 'we have more tourists looking at our Tink hoodies and Mickey antenna toppers than those (blanks) at UNI have riding their supposedly amazing new Potter ride HAHHAHHAH!'

Like I said earlier, Disney is concerned (and with reason) just as soon as a guest leaves property because the MAGICal facade fades away and they realize what Disney does and doesn't do well and they can make choices. Disney doesn't want that, obviously.

But again, they are more interested than selling crap at a giant retail outlet than they are in creating amazing new attractions to draw folks to their resort to begin with.

It will catch up with them. Folks may be dumber by the day, but they still greatly underestimate the average intelligence of their guests. :xmas:

bullsforthewin

That's a new ride though. new video, new queue, new ride programming, new preshow. Dunno how that doesn't count as a new ride.

I guess that means when Disney changes up their 3-D shows they don't count as new attractions because it uses the same theater, right?

Same building, same vehicles, same idea...it is just a new queue and new video of the Back to the Future ride....

whylightbulb

The only real problem is if you want to spend a 6th day at Disney, it's like $5 or something. If you want to spent that 6th day at Universal, it's $80. That's a hard barrier to overcome for the outsiders.
There is a whole list of things I don't understand with respect to the theme parks.

1. Why is Rip Ride Rockit the second most poplular ride at Universal Florida when it should be somewhere near the bottom of the list?

2. How could anyone ride Haunted Mansion or Pirates and then Test Track and Mission Space and think the latter two deserve to be called Disney attractions in terms of overall quality, design and experience?

3. How could someone have visted WDW back in 1996 or before and say the place hasn't gone down hill significantly in terms of maintenance, attraction offerings, food quality and merchandise?

4. Why would anyone need to visit the four WDW parks any more than three days in one trip?

That is nowhere near an exhaustive list but that last one is why I am responding to your comment. I could easily take in everything the parks have to offer in three days. I wouldn't have to rush or stress out even on a busy day. Four days maybe but anymore than that and you are wasting your vacation time in my opinion. Especially when Universal is about to unveil several new additions to the parks that will easily rival anything Disney has to offer at WDW.

bullsforthewin

I know you didn't personally mean it that way, Steve ... but the above is the same type of smug 'tude that does come across at TDO.

I can just see some of the execs sitting around a lunch (at the LBV Red Lobster where I have REALLY seen some dining before on their company DREAMS, WISHES, MAGIC Visa cards) saying 'we have more tourists looking at our Tink hoodies and Mickey antenna toppers than those (blanks) at UNI have riding their supposedly amazing new Potter ride HAHHAHHAH!'

Like I said earlier, Disney is concerned (and with reason) just as soon as a guest leaves property because the MAGICal facade fades away and they realize what Disney does and doesn't do well and they can make choices. Disney doesn't want that, obviously.

But again, they are more interested than selling crap at a giant retail outlet than they are in creating amazing new attractions to draw folks to their resort to begin with.

It will catch up with them. Folks may be dumber by the day, but they still greatly underestimate the average intelligence of their guests. :xmas:

So what is your plan for WDW to make it as awesome as UNI? I mean you must have a plan because all you do is complain...plus state how you are going to raise the billions needed for your ideas....

WDW1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
That 8mil is a fascinating figure.
Do they know it's 8mil unique guests, or are they just counting traffic or receipts?

Yeah it is astonishing. I don't know the method used to calculate, but I'm assuming it is bodies through the door.

I'd love to know that myself. It seems like a number PR pulled out of a hat, although it's certainly possible.

That store rakes in the cash ... and it gets everyone from visitors to locals to businesspeople in town (many who may not even go into a park) for conventions who want to pick things up for a child or niece etc ... :xmas:

bullsforthewin

There is a whole list of things I don't understand with respect to the theme parks.

1. Why is Rip Ride Rockit the second most poplular ride at Universal Florida but instead somewhere near the bottom of the list?

2. How could anyone ride Haunted Mansion or Pirates and then Test Track and Mission Space and think the latter two deserve to be called Disney attractions in terms of overall quality, design and experience?

3. How could someone have visted WDW back in 1996 or before and say the place hasn't gone down hill significantly in terms of maintenance, attraction offerings, food quality and merchandise?

4. Why would anyone need to visit the four WDW parks any more than three days in one trip?

That is nowhere near an exhaustive list but that last one is why I am responding to your comment. I could easily take in everything the parks have to offer in three days. I wouldn't have to rush or stress out even on a busy day. Four days maybe but anymore than that and you are wasting your vacation time in my opinion. Especially when Universal is about to unveil several new additions to the parks that will easily rival anything Disney has to offer at WDW.

Name them please? Oh i forgot a Despicable Me 3d show is epic lol

Rip Ride Rockit was supposed to rival anything Disney did according to people like you but once again you were wrong

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Here is the thing though, you can't argue with the facts. Assuming those numbers are right, World of Disney is pulling in considerably more guests than either of the Universal parks are. That alone is mind blowing. It shows that Universal have made a complete hash of things, to the point where a shop can attract more guests than either of their parks. It also makes it incredibly hard for Disney to not want to maximize the retail offerings. How can any business ignore those kind of numbers? Of course, as park fans, we want to see attractions going up every year. But as a business, they are obviously looking for what they consider the balance.

I think if you were in their position, you would be pretty pleased that one of your shops is out-powering an entire theme park that belongs to the competition.

kcnole

"So what is your plan for WDW to make it as awesome as UNI? I mean you must have a plan because all you do is complain...plus state how you are going to raise the billions needed for your ideas...."

It doesn't cost billions to do what WDW needs to do to make things better.

1. You don't let attractions sit and rot for ages (see BTMR)
2. You don't destroy the great quality of your restaurants by limiting your menus to only 8 items (most of which are copied across multiple restaurants) or by cheaping out on things like putting bagged chips out in your expensive Mexican restaurant in Epcot. If even my local Mexican restaurant can make their own chips I'm certain Disney can.
3. While I'm pleased with the current Fantasyland Expansion for MK and possibly with the Avatar expansion for DAK there needs to be plans put on the table to fix DHS and update many of the attractions that are dying at Epcot (Ellen's Energy and Imagination).

If Universal can afford to invest tons of money into their parks right now then Disney can stop being lazy and resting on their names while squeezing more and more money from their guests wallets? I'm not near the critic that WDW1974 is of Disney, but I recognize that Sea World and Universal are both doing more in their parks over the next few years than Disney is.

WDW1974

Unfortunately I can't say, which I know sounds like the most cornball nonsense ever on the internet, but it's the best I can do...

Anyway, I was actually really, really surprised by it. I had no idea it would be that much of an effect. And I can't even guess how Disney will decide to respond (or not). Obviously Avatar is the first salvo, and NGE will be an attempt to re-ensnare folks. I just can't predict whether that'll be successful. Potter is a draw, and more Potter is going to be more of a draw. If they ever build a Potter-themed hotel (no idea if this is a possibility or not)... lordy.

I think 74 is right. Once people get out of their rut and become accustomed to leaving property it could open the doors to many things. Legoland, Seaworld, KSC...

The only real problem is if you want to spend a 6th day at Disney, it's like $5 or something. If you want to spent that 6th day at Universal, it's $80. That's a hard barrier to overcome for the outsiders.

NEXT GEN just is an incredible waste of capital ... money that could be used for anything from paying cast more to building new attractions to investing in crumbling infrastructure ... instead goes into a giant data-mining, plan your trip six months ahead of time down to bathroom breaks, insert chips in everything from your soda mug to your child's neck (OK, just seeing if you're awake!) ... How these amazingly talented:rolleyes:, high paid execs sit back and think people plan $10K vacations for interactive queues and meet-and-greets where the characters know your brat's name etc ... it's just ... just mindboggling in its arrogance and stupidity.

I agree with the ticket price, and that was the 'genius' of MYW (and really why good, old Georgie K wound up going from the outhouse to the penthouse of P&R exec circles). It's designed to make Disney so 'inexpensive' the longer you stay ... they don't care, they'll give those last few days away, just so long as you spend them on property, not giving your money to anyone else.

I can't imagine spending six days at UNI's parks right now ... of course, I also can't imagine folks who now in the midst of two week holiday visits to WDW who won't leave property and will spend parts of six days at any/all of Disney's parks.

It all comes down to breaking folks of that terrible pixie dust addiction and Potter has been the first real SUBSTANTIAL attraction to do it ... and once folks are out, who knows what they'll do? Maybe they'll decide 'why rush back for that Coral Reef ressie when we can walk right into this Red Lobster ... and then let's skip WoD and check out that outlet store at the Premium Outlets ... and that ice cream joint we passed on I-drive really looked good, maybe we can stop there'.

That IS what is happening. And for any theme park fan, it's a good thing.:xmas:

bullsforthewin

"So what is your plan for WDW to make it as awesome as UNI? I mean you must have a plan because all you do is complain...plus state how you are going to raise the billions needed for your ideas...."

It doesn't cost billions to do what WDW needs to do to make things better.

1. You don't let attractions sit and rot for ages (see BTMR)
2. You don't destroy the great quality of your restaurants by limiting your menus to only 8 items (most of which are copied across multiple restaurants) or by cheaping out on things like putting bagged chips out in your expensive Mexican restaurant in Epcot. If even my local Mexican restaurant can make their own chips I'm certain Disney can.
3. While I'm pleased with the current Fantasyland Expansion for MK and possibly with the Avatar expansion for DAK there needs to be plans put on the table to fix DHS and update many of the attractions that are dying at Epcot (Ellen's Energy and Imagination).

If Universal can afford to invest tons of money into their parks right now then Disney can stop being lazy and resting on their names while squeezing more and more money from their guests wallets? I'm not near the critic that WDW1974 is of Disney, but I recognize that Sea World and Universal are both doing more in their parks over the next few years than Disney is.

Lol...sorry but if you think that limiting the number of dining options means you are making them worse then you are in for a shock...MOST HIGH END AND/OR GREAT RESTAURANTS HAVE LIMITED MENUS....there is an old saying, "It is better to be great a few things then to be mediocre at a lot of things."

Universal does not have as many parks as disney especially with disney ramping up its Cruise Line and Shanghai park.

Sea World is doing so much with their mistreatment of animals and all...but you are so right...:lookaroun

Lee

Adventurer
Here is the thing though, you can't argue with the facts. Assuming those numbers are right, World of Disney is pulling in considerably more guests than either of the Universal parks are. That alone is mind blowing. It shows that Universal have made a complete hash of things, to the point where a shop can attract more guests than either of their parks. It also makes it incredibly hard for Disney to not want to maximize the retail offerings. How can any business ignore those kind of numbers? Of course, as park fans, we want to see attractions going up every year. But as a business, they are obviously looking for what they consider the balance.

I think if you were in their position, you would be pretty pleased that one of your shops is out-powering an entire theme park that belongs to the competition.

Yeah...but...I have to temper my amazement somewhat since WoD is benefitting from such a captive audience. Many of them staying on property and without cars to go elsewhere.
Its impressive, but relatively understandable and not really related to Uni doing anything wrong. (Like how DCA did about 6.2mil last year. Nothing done wrong, just a different situation.)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
NEXT GEN just is an incredible waste of capital ... money that could be used for anything from paying cast more to building new attractions to investing in crumbling infrastructure ... instead goes into a giant data-mining, plan your trip six months ahead of time down to bathroom breaks, insert chips in everything from your soda mug to your child's neck (OK, just seeing if you're awake!) ... How these amazingly talented:rolleyes:, high paid execs sit back and think people plan $10K vacations for interactive queues and meet-and-greets where the characters know your brat's name etc ... it's just ... just mindboggling in its arrogance and stupidity.

I really disagree. Moving WDW forward with this kind of tech is exactly what people will be expecting in the coming years. It is critical for WDW to get that infrastructure in place. In the not to distant future you are going to be seeing these types of things happening all over the place, in much smaller locations, and people are going to be expecting the same at Disney. Without doing this now Disney would be left behind.

WDW1974

They don't have a hatred of Disney but more a hatred of what WDW management has done to WDW. To accuse someone that visits multiple Disney parks as often as 74 does as a Disney hater is erroneous. Also 74 has stated numerous times that he loves the Disney parks.

Thanks Mr. Bulb, but I am convinced (obviously more than the mods) that our new forum member is a troll. He/she/it just joined and immediately began going after me in as many threads as possible and acting like they've been reading me for a lot longer.

So, my guess is either bored fanboi out of school, blogger, or Disney social media plant. They tend to go away when ignored.
:xmas:

bullsforthewin

I really disagree. Moving WDW forward with this kind of tech is exactly what people will be expecting in the coming years. It is critical for WDW to get that infrastructure in place. In the not to distant future you are going to be seeing these types of things happening all over the place, in much smaller locations, and people are going to be expecting the same at Disney. Without doing this now Disney would be left behind.

But dont you know it is wrong for disney to think about the future or think about kids....i mean god forbide a little girl who loves princesses gets to see them because people like 74 think meet and greets are a gift from the devil himself.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Yeah...but...I have to temper my amazement somewhat since WoD is benefitting from such a captive audience. Many of them staying on property and without cars to go elsewhere.
Its impressive, but relatively understandable and not really related to Uni doing anything wrong. (Like how DCA did about 6.2mil last year. Nothing done wrong, just a different situation.)

Captive audience or not, it is still pretty impressive. Particularly when it is located in DTD, that so many people seem to think is a ghost town that nobody goes to anymore. When you look at how long Universal have been open, the amount they have spent on global advertising, it has to be disappointing to be out-visited by a single shop at the competition. At least I would feel that way. And for DCA, they did a lot wrong, we all know about that.

bullsforthewin

Thanks Mr. Bulb, but I am convinced (obviously more than the mods) that our new forum member is a troll. He/she/it just joined and immediately began going after me in as many threads as possible and acting like they've been reading me for a lot longer.

So, my guess is either bored fanboi out of school, blogger, or Disney social media plant. They tend to go away when ignored.
:xmas:

a bored fanboi calls someone else a fanboi or a plant...how funny there is no way you cant be joking i mean if you are serious then i just cant stop laughing

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom