Uni's New Plan For Potter Could Make Significant Dent To WDW

Mouse Detective

My husband and I both said ok, we saw Harry Potter, now we dont have to go back. We don't feel that way about Disney, we go every year!!

Yes, there are some people who feel that way.
There are many, many more people who used to feel that way but Harry Potter was a game-changer.
If this expansion comes to be as rumored, the ante has been upped big time.

Universal can never be what Disney is. They're not trying to be. But they're making tons of money by pulling 1-2 days away from Disney from a lot of people.

MiklCraw4d

I dont think this will make an impact on WDW.

I'm sure a lot of people feel that way, but Disney doesn't! Internal reports show that they've lost a guest "day" to Universal since Potter opened. Now that might not last forever, but you know Disney - they don't like losing ANY share of the marketplace. They want you on property for your entire vacation. Losing a day to another resort is bad...

Ignohippo

Original Poster
this is a quote from another post- It's a brilliant plan by Uni, and one that could make more of a significant impact to WDW. I still think people would rather stay at WDW than Uni,-

I dont think this will make an impact on WDW. We were just there to both parks (Uni & Disney), and Uni doesnt even hold a flame to Disney. Even with the new extension at Uni all you will need is 1 day there. My husband and I both said ok, we saw Harry Potter, now we dont have to go back. We don't feel that way about Disney, we go every year!!

It's me you quoted, but I think you're missing a bit of the point. Yes, WDW is a great place to stay, and WDW may actually have some people who wouldn't visit Orlando otherwise finally book that WDW vacation, but now they have a serious reason to stay off-site as well.

Think about the family of five that only gets to come to Disney once in their lifetimes. Three years ago, they'd be staying 5 days at Disney and buying a 5-day Parkhopper Pass. Now, they come to Orlando, may or may not stay on-site (it'd be cheaper to stay off-site and more convenient if going to Uni as well), and WDW has just lost 2 days of 5 guest admissions.

So, because of their curiosity about Potter (never mind of the parks are even good or not), WDW has lost the money from their hotel stay, as well as 10 park tickets (5 people, 2 days). Multiply this times a few thousand people every day, and WDW will have a VERY significant problem).

(Oh, and I still say, had they built Legoland and a family-style resort at Uni instead of out in BFE, WDW would be in a world of hurt. To make matters worse, had Uni had the foresight to make Hogwarts an actual hotel, and you'd pretty much lose any possibility of the vacationer who may want to visit both resorts ever staying on Disney property).

WDW1974

I think Disney kept Avatar so secret because only Staggs and Iger were in on it – they didn't even let Imagineering know they were thinking about it.

It wasn't as much of a secret as some may believe (the purchase of Marvel was a much bigger shocker). It may have started out with Iger and Staggs, but news did leak out.

Some of us, including myself and fellow Disney hater Lee had heard (from different sources as well) that Disney was thinking about going after Avatar for the parks and we both gave it about a minute of serious thought before tossing it aside as something that didn't make much sense and, therefore, (our big mistake) would never happen. I think Lee may have even posted about it here, but I could still have an X-mas hangover!:xmas:

From what I understand, only the top executives at UNI and the creative department were in on the HP expansion plans, which is why they're so concerned with the leak.

Um ... yeah .... ah ... uhm ... no comment. :zipit::drevil::king:

WDW1974

I was quite surprised when 74 came out with that post regarding the Potter expansion. There really were just a few of us that knew about it and we were all sworn to secrecy by blood LOL!

The Spirit is everywhere and sees and hears all ... sometime he is too high on ... ah, Pixie Dust and fried rice to recall it the next day, but he hears plenty.

He even knows when you don't wash your hands!:eek::ROFLOL::xmas:

WDW1974

this is a quote from another post- It's a brilliant plan by Uni, and one that could make more of a significant impact to WDW. I still think people would rather stay at WDW than Uni,-

I dont think this will make an impact on WDW. We were just there to both parks (Uni & Disney), and Uni doesnt even hold a flame to Disney. Even with the new extension at Uni all you will need is 1 day there. My husband and I both said ok, we saw Harry Potter, now we dont have to go back. We don't feel that way about Disney, we go every year!!

In the Spirit of the holidays, I'll just say everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think you are absolutely incorrect in UNI being worth only a day, but I also think people that spend 3-4 days of a vacation at the MK are nuts (just my opinion!):king:

I also think some people have an unnatural pull to WDW ... they really believe the marketing MAGIC is real ... and the PR spin is true ... and they allow themselves to be manipulated.

But whatever makes you happy! :xmas:

WDW1974

I'm sure a lot of people feel that way, but Disney doesn't! Internal reports show that they've lost a guest "day" to Universal since Potter opened. Now that might not last forever, but you know Disney - they don't like losing ANY share of the marketplace. They want you on property for your entire vacation. Losing a day to another resort is bad...

I think you have to look at how WDW has been running its business since the late 90s.

Everything that TDO has done has been designed to get people on WDW property and keep them hostage there. From huge DVC and hotel expansion to Destination Disney (the precursor to NEXT GEN) that brought FP, Pal Mickey, DME, MYW tix, the DDP etc. And that strategy really worked like a charm for a good decade.

The issue with Potter isn't simply losing a day to the competition, although that is obviously a major concern and DOES harm the bottom line. It's more an issue of what they'll (the they being guests) do when they realize there's more to O-Town than WDW.

What happens when they realize that maybe they shouldn't spend all their money on Disney resorts? What happens when they realize that maybe they should give Sea World a try ... or Discovery Cove ... or Legoland ... or Cape Canaveral ... or simply one of the many outlet malls? What happens when they realize they can get better seafood at 1/3rd the price by dropping into Red Lobster instead of making a reservation for the Coral Reef (you know, the seafood place that doesn't even have lobster on the menu and has about eight entrees, maybe three that actually come from the oceans) six months ahead of time? What happens when they realize they can shop off-property for tees and the like? Or simply drop $40-60 at Publix on snacks for a week instead of spending that in a day (or more) at WDW?

THAT is what concerns Disney so much.

Once folks are off-property anything can happen.

Sure, you have those who spend five hours at IOA, claim they saw it all and high tail it back to WDW for a MAGICally overpriced meal with foamheads at Chef Mickey's, scarred by ever passing under the MAGICal Pixie Dusted force fields of those ugly arches. But many folks are a lot smarter than that ... and they realize the world -- and their MAGICal vacations won't end if they don't spend all their time on Disney property or give every last penny to TWDC.

THAT again is what's at the heart of the issue. When folks realize just how close those $5 footlongs are ... and that Disney outlet store ... and those nice places to eat on Sandlake's Restaurant Row that don't require ressies six months out and CC guarantees.

THAT is what has TDO execs sweating into their J.C. Penny cheap suits. It sucks to not be in control of your guests all the time.

Pretty soon, you aren't losing folks for simply a day ... you are losing a whole lot larger chunk of their vacation $$$ :xmas:

Ignohippo

Original Poster

Where have you gotten this info? I haven't heard anything about this until now.

I certainly hope that's true. If so, just that should be making TDO quake. I can't imagine what the panic must be like about the HP expansion then. That's a huge stat if true.

Too bad their future plans are tied up in Avatar...

Lee

Adventurer
I think Disney kept Avatar so secret because only Staggs and Iger were in on it – they didn't even let Imagineering know they were thinking about it.
Not entirely.
Some from WDI were involved in making the pitch to Cameron and co. By the time it was announced, months later, it had already been trough many hands in Burbank, Glendale and elsewhere.
It was kept unusually quiet, that's true, but there were leaks.

From what I understand, only the top executives at UNI and the creative department were in on the HP expansion plans, which is why they're so concerned with the leak.

Well, I think so many people KNEW it was going to happen, but had no info on what was happening or where it was going.

I will say that Spirit seemingly caught wind of the Jaws replacement before anyone else, so I guess there would be a leak somewhere down the line.
The Potter expansion knowledge goes back a while. I knew enough prior to Oct. 1 to have some nice conversations (with folks from these parts...:wave:) about what was happening. Little tidbits going back a year or more now. Real solid info probably four months or so.

There really were just a few of us that knew about it and we were all sworn to secrecy by blood LOL!
In that case...there was a lot of blood being spilt.;)

kcnole

I haven't followed every page of this thread. Can someone tell me on what page the details of the Potter expansion were leaked by WDW1974? I can't find them.

drew81

I think you have to look at how WDW has been running its business since the late 90s.

Everything that TDO has done has been designed to get people on WDW property and keep them hostage there. From huge DVC and hotel expansion to Destination Disney (the precursor to NEXT GEN) that brought FP, Pal Mickey, DME, MYW tix, the DDP etc. And that strategy really worked like a charm for a good decade.

The issue with Potter isn't simply losing a day to the competition, although that is obviously a major concern and DOES harm the bottom line. It's more an issue of what they'll (the they being guests) do when they realize there's more to O-Town than WDW.

What happens when they realize that maybe they shouldn't spend all their money on Disney resorts? What happens when they realize that maybe they should give Sea World a try ... or Discovery Cove ... or Legoland ... or Cape Canaveral ... or simply one of the many outlet malls? What happens when they realize they can get better seafood at 1/3rd the price by dropping into Red Lobster instead of making a reservation for the Coral Reef (you know, the seafood place that doesn't even have lobster on the menu and has about eight entrees, maybe three that actually come from the oceans) six months ahead of time? What happens when they realize they can shop off-property for tees and the like? Or simply drop $40-60 at Publix on snacks for a week instead of spending that in a day (or more) at WDW?

Sure, you have those who spend five hours at IOA, claim they saw it all and high tail it back to WDW for a MAGICally overpriced meal with foamheads at Chef Mickey's, scarred by ever passing under the MAGICal Pixie Dusted force fields of those ugly arches. But many folks are a lot smarter than that ... and they realize the world -- and their MAGICal vacations won't end if they don't spend all their time on Disney property or give every last penny to TWDC.

THAT again is what's at the heart of the issue. When folks realize just how close those $5 footlongs are ... and that Disney outlet store ... and those nice places to eat on Sandlake's Restaurant Row that don't require ressies six months out and CC guarantees.

THAT is what has TDO execs sweating into their J.C. Penny cheap suits. It sucks to not be in control of your guests all the time.

Pretty soon, you aren't losing folks for simply a day ... you are losing a whole lot larger chunk of their vacation $$$ :xmas:

This is a great post. That's all I want to say.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
on another board with the words United and Orlando in the title...someone had info on the plans for Jaws to be converted to Harry Potter as far back as 2008!

Lee

Adventurer
on another board with the words United and Orlando in the title...someone had info on the plans for Jaws to be converted to Harry Potter as far back as 2008!

Not surprising at all.
In 2008 the "Jaws plan" was part of the long-range expansion possibilities being considered. At that early time, it was very "blue sky" and without any real plan.
(I remember using MSM maps to try to figure out if it was even possible.:lol:)

The decision to actually go through with it, and what exactly to put there, it is much more recent.

GLaDOS

Not surprising at all.
In 2008 the "Jaws plan" was part of the long-range expansion possibilities being considered. At that early time, it was very "blue sky" and without any real plan.
(I remember using MSM maps to try to figure out if it was even possible.:lol:)

The decision to actually go through with it, and what exactly to put there, it is much more recent.

Any idea when we'll be hearing about all of this?:shrug:

Lee

Adventurer
Any idea when we'll be hearing about all of this?:shrug:

It'll be a major announcement event. I expect it would come at a time that would guarantee maximum exposure...and to steal some thunder from the competition. Like, say...when Disney has something to grand open...

c-one

This post is unnecessarily harsh. Even Coral Reef is better than friggin' Red Lobster. :wave:

DougK

This post is unnecessarily harsh. Even Coral Reef is better than friggin' Red Lobster. :wave:

You are missing the essence of 74s point. It is not that Red Lobster is the best seafood restaurant of all time, it is that Coral Reef (and 99% of the other Disney restaurants) is so overrated, unnecessarily expensive and has such a small menu selection including, as he said, not even having lobster on the menu. Pretty bad for a supposed seafood place. Blame the Dining Plan!

Red Lobster has a nice selection, decent prices and now they even have daily fresh fish.

Red Lobster is ten times better than Coral Reef however they do have much smaller fish tanks, but at least those tanks contain lobsters!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom