Uni's New Plan For Potter Could Make Significant Dent To WDW

AEfx

Has this thread degenerated into a fight over whether or not "Avatar" is better than traditional folkloric tales? This is getting surreal.

Yes, which is why I have largely bowed out, LOL.

If people don't understand the difference between "a scientist told him it was accurate!" and a compelling story with tendrils to explore, it's a pointless discussion. Which is funny, because that is what Avatar's big problem is to begin with - a lot of technical know-how trying to make up for severe deficiencies elsewhere.

I guess we will find out in 5 years if Disney can make something out of it, and if it survives with any type of decent budget and increases attendance at WDW.

ChrisM

Yes, which is why I have largely bowed out, LOL.

If people don't understand the difference between "a scientist told him it was accurate!" and a compelling story with tendrils to explore, it's a pointless discussion. Which is funny, because that is what Avatar's big problem is to begin with - a lot of technical know-how trying to make up for severe deficiencies elsewhere.

I guess we will find out in 5 years if Disney can make something out of it, and if it survives with any type of decent budget and increases attendance at WDW.

No, you bowed out because you have no answer to my response to you. As I said previously, "It's effectively the Animal Kingdom's version of Tomorrowland."

If there was the utter lack of interest in the "docufiction" space (which is the same idea that underscores a great number of Disney attractions) in regards to alien biospheres you apparently believe there to be, you'd never see something like the Discovery Channel's "Alien Planet" or NGC's "Extraterrestrial" programs being broadcast.

You're so caught up in your visceral hatred of the "Avatar" property that you're completely missing the point. And I'm flabbergasted that you can't see the potential for some incredible attractions to be built on this foundation.

GLaDOS

The potential "realism" is one of the reasons I don't want Avatar. DAK is way too "realistic" with everything they do. Even Everest tries way too hard to justify the existence of the Yeti. There's no real mystery or mysticism involved with the park.

The park desperately needs to lighten up and throw some whimsical areas into it, instead of a serious, humorless world of blue cat people.

Alektronic

The potential "realism" is one of the reasons I don't want Avatar. DAK is way too "realistic" with everything they do. Even Everest tries way too hard to justify the existence of the Yeti. There's no real mystery or mysticism involved with the park.

The park desperately needs to lighten up and throw some whimsical areas into it, instead of a serious, humorless world of blue cat people.

What do you call the Dino Rama area?

s8film40

What do you call the Dino Rama area?

I think the Dinoland area proves that point even further. Even when they did something whimsical and fun they went out of their way to make it seem realistic, as a cheap carnival. They even painted parking spaces on the ground to make it look like it was built over a parking lot. It's a very real grounded area that allows some fun, but doesn't envelop you into a themed area of fantasy.

AEfx

No, you bowed out because you have no answer to my response to you. As I said previously, "It's effectively the Animal Kingdom's version of Tomorrowland."

If there was the utter lack of interest in the "docufiction" space (which is the same idea that underscores a great number of Disney attractions) in regards to alien biospheres you apparently believe there to be, you'd never see something like the Discovery Channel's "Alien Planet" or NGC's "Extraterrestrial" programs being broadcast.

You're so caught up in your visceral hatred of the "Avatar" property that you're completely missing the point. And I'm flabbergasted that you can't see the potential for some incredible attractions to be built on this foundation.

LOL nice try. I replied to you, you replied with the same gunk about scientists making a compelling story, and I wasn't (and am not) going to waste my time repeating myself since you simply don't understand what is being discussed.

That said, regarding your new comments, I'm flabbergasted that you have made such assumptions about me, when I have stated several times emphatically that sure Disney could make some amazing attraction (Avatar or not), but considering the recent track record, I have doubts that they will put the money/man power into it, and we will probably end up with a Soarin' update (maybe with screens below and not just in front of).

My 'hatred' is ambivalence, it's just some run of the mill cheap trick film to me. Others have turned it into a near religious experience. I disagree. /shrug

ChrisM

LOL nice try. I replied to you, you replied with the same gunk about scientists making a compelling story, and I wasn't (and am not) going to waste my time repeating myself since you simply don't understand what is being discussed.

Fantastic! You never fail to entertain.

Considering you've yet to address a single point in any but my initial post, but continue to bang the tired "science isn't interesting" drum you've been beating since the announcement was made, your continuation of the same doesn't surprise me.

Declaring victory on a topic you've repeatedly shown to be completely out of your depth is awfully entertaining, though. I'm now vaguely bemused that I've ever bothered to read your posts in the past; just another nattering boor with an agenda.

AEfx

Fantastic! You never fail to entertain.

Considering you've yet to address a single point in any but my initial post, but continue to bang the tired "science isn't interesting" drum you've been beating since the announcement was made, your continuation of the same doesn't surprise me.

Declaring victory on a topic you've repeatedly shown to be completely out of your depth is awfully entertaining, though. I'm now vaguely bemused that I've ever bothered to read your posts in the past; just another nattering boor with an agenda.

You haven't made one point, except to try to use large words that I do not believe you actually understand. Yes, scientists supposedly assisted Cameron in making it "realistic", which seems to mean something different to you than it does to me. You can make something entirely scientifically accurate yet it can be (and often is) boring as heck, LOL. From the start, you have been making counter-claims to points I did not make, and are simply bringing up the same irrelevant thing over and over.

And here, you are resorting to simple name-calling. Not terribly mature.

I guess we will share our bemusement at each other, as I find the rabid nature of fans of this film rivaling a religious fervor I'd almost find fascinating, if not so obviously induced by "OOH SHINY!" distractions. You will have to forgive me, though, because I couldn't comment on your past posts, as I simply do not recall or recognize reading anything of significance (or even your name) before.

To the actual topic, again, Disney could hit a home run with this. They could also hit a home run with a "Home On The Range" ride, should they try. The problem is, they do not.

The issue of "compelling world" was - comparing it originally to Potter, as in the title of this thread. I don't think even the most hard-core fan thinks that somehow this will even begin to approach the level of "OMG I HAVE TO GO THERE!" that Potter did with the general public. Potter has 8 films, 7 books, and a lifespan that is now entering it's third calendar decade (the original book was published in the 90's, the last film in the 10's).

Perhaps Disney will surprise us. Personally, I see the "big attraction" being a pseudo-Soarin' clone, perhaps that has a screen below you as well. Should they go all out and re-create this "world" as a true 3-dimensional NON-VIDEO SCREEN attraction, I'll be as pleased as anyone. But I have a feeling this is what we will end up with - an updated Soarin' type ride, a couple of kiddie things, a meet and greet, and perhaps a restaurant. Should they exceed that, I'll be the first one to applaud it, in spite of my feelings of the property it is based on.

epcot85

IMO if the Disney of today were doing things like the Disney that built Epcot Center and even Tokyo DisneySea then it wouldn't matter what Universal did, they wouldn't even be in the same ballpark.:xmas:

Ignohippo

Original Poster
I received confirmation this weekend from a UNI "insider" that the rumored plans are indeed 100% accurate (they're ticked, too. Very, very few people knew about the plans with the amount of details that leaked).

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I received confirmation this weekend from a UNI "insider" that the rumored plans are indeed 100% accurate (they're ticked, too. Very, very few people knew about the plans with the amount of details that leaked).

Yeah, screamscape just posted some info a few days ago which mentions 4 people involved in a new project for the Jaws area...all with Harry Potter related roles previously.

GLaDOS

In the days of the internet, it's too easy for things to leak, unfortunately. It's pretty amazing that Disney kept Avatar relatively secret.

At least it leaked fairly close to the announcement.

Ignohippo

Original Poster
I think Disney kept Avatar so secret because only Staggs and Iger were in on it – they didn't even let Imagineering know they were thinking about it.

From what I understand, only the top executives at UNI and the creative department were in on the HP expansion plans, which is why they're so concerned with the leak.

GLaDOS

From what I understand, only the top executives at UNI and the creative department were in on the HP expansion plans, which is why they're so concerned with the leak.

Well, I think so many people KNEW it was going to happen, but had no info on what was happening or where it was going.

I will say that Spirit seemingly caught wind of the Jaws replacement before anyone else, so I guess there would be a leak somewhere down the line.

But the Project 722 deal was found through some Google work. All that was needed was connecting the dots. If they didn't want people finding out that way, they should have restricted what the employees were putting on their LinkedIn profiles.

whylightbulb

I think Disney kept Avatar so secret because only Staggs and Iger were in on it – they didn't even let Imagineering know they were thinking about it.

I was quite surprised when 74 came out with that post regarding the Potter expansion. There really were just a few of us that knew about it and we were all sworn to secrecy by blood LOL!

alissafalco

this is a quote from another post- It's a brilliant plan by Uni, and one that could make more of a significant impact to WDW. I still think people would rather stay at WDW than Uni,-

I dont think this will make an impact on WDW. We were just there to both parks (Uni & Disney), and Uni doesnt even hold a flame to Disney. Even with the new extension at Uni all you will need is 1 day there. My husband and I both said ok, we saw Harry Potter, now we dont have to go back. We don't feel that way about Disney, we go every year!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom