Uni's New Plan For Potter Could Make Significant Dent To WDW

InsiderImagine

Here is what Disney needs to do to respond:

PARKS

Magic Kingdom
- New Fantasyland (in progress)
- New daytime parade
- New nighttime parade (better than SpectroMagic with newer technology, maybe projection, etc.)
- Update Tomorrowland Speedway with Cars (pixar) or futuristic theming on the cars themselves and to the track/area…make cars electric or battery powered (that recharge as they go) to eliminate noise/odor

Epcot
- Ellen’s Energy needs redone with something
- Redo Imagination Pavilion (ride, and 3d show)
- Build a new country or 2 with rides
- Remove Leave a Legacy at entrance

Hollywood Studios
- Turn Sounds Dangerous and American Idol Experience into an indoor ride (AIE I knew wouldn’t be as big or sustaining as they thought)
- Add onto Pixar area (Monster’s coaster)
- Get rid of Backlot tour and replace with Carsland (similar to that in Disneyland)
- Honey I Shunk the kids playground to A Bug’s Life theme (can’t believe this hasn’t already been done)
- Redo the Great Movie ride with all classic Disney and more recent pixar animated films with scenes and animatronics, etc. This IMO would be a hit
- Replace Beauty and the Beast show with Tangled (sounds like may be in the works already)
- I like Indiana Jones…but it’s going to get old if it hasn’t already. Maybe turn this into a ride or maybe better yet even a pirate themed stunt show?
- Enhance Fantasmic (maybe less water projections and more on stage/in water stuff?)

Animal Kingdom
- While I think Disney could really do cool things with Avatarland…I think this might not be the best path….Disney should add onto Animal Kingdom with a Sea/Ocean theme (like DisneySea) instead
- Within the DisneySea addition to the park, add World of Color (or something very similar) which would be the night show AK needs without firework mess/danger/noise for animals
- Not fond of the Dinoland/Amusement park feel…maybe save a few things from it (Dinosaur ride obviously, the lil Dumbo like ride, and maybe even primeval whirl (if it could be re-themed)
- Bring back some sort of boat ride through the water…could even be expanded into the new DisneySea park section
- Updates to the daytime parade

All Parks
- Require everyone to carry room key/ticket with RFID tag to enhance rides, queues, and maybe only allow those to use bus service as well

Downtown Disney
- I’m at a loss here… just keep adding more stores, Splitsville should help as well
- Do NOT add World of Color here – crowds are already bad at night in some places
- build a large indoor mini golf place
- they could make DTD "like" (work with me here) a 5th park if they do it right

BUS SERVICE

- Provide bus routes from the theme parks directly to Downtown Disney

Great list! Only about 3 of these are happening. LOL>

AEfx

I didn't prove your point, you either just changed your argument or are sloppy in your use of language.

You didn't previously say anything about storytelling or it being compelling and that wasn't what I was respomding to: you said it lacked "depth". The world of Avatar has plenty of depth.

But no argument about the authenticity of Pandora and the fictional future depicted in Avatar being crucial to maintaining the consistency of a theme park devoted to the natural world is obviously going to change your mind, so I'm not going to waste my time.

Yes, the world lacks depth. Depth is not measured in scientific quantification. My writing is actually rather specific, should you not pick out one word and make assumptions about the rest of what I have said has been.

The world in Avatar has a shimmer over it, a fakeness, that is all an overcoat to...nothing. So whatever he consulted these scientists on didn't do a tinkers darn worth of making that world feel deep, alive, and compelling.

It was just pretty.

There is nothing "authentic" about a digitally created landscape, no matter what equations scientists came up with to "authenticate" it. That's a science experiment, not a deep, compelling world to build stories on.

But as you seem to be one of those who think this film is somehow an ethereal experience and not the cheap trick popcorn movie it was, I guess I shouldn't waste my time, either. ;)

lebeau

Agreed, I didn't mean to go all advocate :lol: Sometimes it just gets crazy the way mental health and illnesses are portrayed by the media.

See ya at Avatarland :wave:

No doubt! See ya there. :wave:

If it doesn't open, I'll catch ya at FLE. Or whatever they actually get around to building.

ROFL.

I'm sorry, but...ROFL.

Not sure what you found so funny. But I'm glad you're so easily amused.

Did you read the article? It's based on the "clinical data" of 1,000 message board posts. And the second link is to an Avatar fan site.

I can show you 1,000 message board posts about people depressed that McDonalds only has the McRib back for a limited time.

The fact is, films do NOT bring on clinical depression.

I thought I was making a fairly simple point. Really not sure how you missed it other than willfully. It's not about whether or not Avatar causes clinical depression. I'm fairly certain it doesn't. My point is just that a lot of people felt immersed in the fictional world it created. So much so that there were headlines indicating that it was a world people wanted to visit.

You can bet Iger and company discussed those headlines before striking the Avatar deal.

Is that a simple enough restating of the obvious? Cause I'm not sure how I can make it any more clear... :hammer:

Cause we all know what classic storytellers astronomers, geologists, and biologists have been throughout the ages, don't we?

Okay, now I'm convinved. You're just willfully missing the point. They were consultants. To make the world more believable. Didn't work for you apparently. Worked for plenty of others.

There are a few factors that contributed to Avatar being the #1 movie of all times. Yes, Cameron got lucky with the timing and getting out in front of the 3-D fad. That can't be over-estimated. But a big factor was also repeat viewings (just as it was with Titanic). Avatar opened in December and remained the #1 movie through most of early 2010.

Where you found the story engaging or not, whether you found the world immersive or not, a lot of people were very engaged and immersed in the world and story of Avatar. That is evident by the film's strong legs. You really can't reasonably argue against that.

Yes, there was a backlash. Yes, the film has flaws. Like a lot of Cameron films, the characters are thin and the plot is derivative. You can find a lot of people who don't like it. The "green" and "anti-military" messages made it extra polarizing.

But to say that Cameron didn't create an immersive world is just silly. It's a matter of opinion. And since many, many theater-goers were clearly of a differing opinion the best you can say as that the world of Pandora didn't interest you.

Thankfully, I don't think Disney is banking on your attendance to make the project a success (although I'm sure you'll go anyway if it opens).

Yes, there are very pretty vistas in Avatar. But it doesn't create a compelling world. I hate to bring up Star Wars again, because my feelings for Avatar have nothing to do with Star Wars, but as many mistakes as Lucas made, he succeeded in creating a vast universe where you feel like there is a story under every nook and cranny. People have been able to write entire books about the people in just the sole Cantina scene in Star Wars - where they came from, why they were there, what they did after. That's why so many were disappointed in the prequels; he kept spending time going over the same stuff, and instead of exploring all that could be explored we just kept going to back to whiny baby Darth. Potter is the same. It created a living breathing world that just feels ripe for exploration.

I grew up on Star Wars. Star Wars was very special to me. In many ways, it still is though I don't love it the way I did as a kid.

You're romanticizing Star Wars a bit. The cantina scene was a typical Western scene with cheap Halloween masks. The fact that people later went back and provided back story for the extras in fright gear doesn't make it especially great story-telling.

Also, the comparison between a decades-spanning franchise and a single film is silly. Obviously, there's more to explore in the Star Wars universe. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. For a variety of reasons that can only be speculated upon, Disney is moving forward with Avatar (or so they say) and not Star Wars. What's the use arguing that Star Wars is a better candidate when it is not a candidate in reality.

Avatar feels almost clinical. Self-contained.

For the time being, it is self-contained.

Which, hey, might actually lead to a good theme park attraction.

If Imagineers can make Splach Mountain out of Song of the South, they should be able to make an entire land out of the highest grossing movie of all time.

Just sayin'.

Arguing that Avatar (or any IP really) is an unfit basis for an attraction is really pointless. We all know that's not true.

I don't doubt that he had tons of scientific advice, it shows. But all the accuracy in the world doesn't create anything compelling on it's own. I'll take the explosions and blaster fire sounds in Space and all the other technical no-no's and non-realities of Star Wars over a clinically sterile environment that feels almost claustrophobic (again, ironic since it does show pretty vistas and scenery).

Well, if you don't care for it I guess Disney shouldn't bother, right? :rolleyes:

Skipper03

No doubt! See ya there. :wave:

If it doesn't open, I'll catch ya at FLE. Or whatever they actually get around to building.

Not sure what you found so funny. But I'm glad you're so easily amused.

I thought I was making a fairly simple point. Really not sure how you missed it other than willfully. It's not about whether or not Avatar causes clinical depression. I'm fairly certain it doesn't. My point is just that a lot of people felt immersed in the fictional world it created. So much so that there were headlines indicating that it was a world people wanted to visit.

You can bet Iger and company discussed those headlines before striking the Avatar deal.

Is that a simple enough restating of the obvious? Cause I'm not sure how I can make it any more clear... :hammer:

Okay, now I'm convinved. You're just willfully missing the point. They were consultants. To make the world more believable. Didn't work for you apparently. Worked for plenty of others.

There are a few factors that contributed to Avatar being the #1 movie of all times. Yes, Cameron got lucky with the timing and getting out in front of the 3-D fad. That can't be over-estimated. But a big factor was also repeat viewings (just as it was with Titanic). Avatar opened in December and remained the #1 movie through most of early 2010.

Where you found the story engaging or not, whether you found the world immersive or not, a lot of people were very engaged and immersed in the world and story of Avatar. That is evident by the film's strong legs. You really can't reasonably argue against that.

Yes, there was a backlash. Yes, the film has flaws. Like a lot of Cameron films, the characters are thin and the plot is derivative. You can find a lot of people who don't like it. The "green" and "anti-military" messages made it extra polarizing.

But to say that Cameron didn't create an immersive world is just silly. It's a matter of opinion. And since many, many theater-goers were clearly of a differing opinion the best you can say as that the world of Pandora didn't interest you.

Thankfully, I don't think Disney is banking on your attendance to make the project a success (although I'm sure you'll go anyway if it opens).

I grew up on Star Wars. Star Wars was very special to me. In many ways, it still is though I don't love it the way I did as a kid.

You're romanticizing Star Wars a bit. The cantina scene was a typical Western scene with cheap Halloween masks. The fact that people later went back and provided back story for the extras in fright gear doesn't make it especially great story-telling.

Also, the comparison between a decades-spanning franchise and a single film is silly. Obviously, there's more to explore in the Star Wars universe. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. For a variety of reasons that can only be speculated upon, Disney is moving forward with Avatar (or so they say) and not Star Wars. What's the use arguing that Star Wars is a better candidate when it is not a candidate in reality.

For the time being, it is self-contained.

If Imagineers can make Splach Mountain out of Song of the South, they should be able to make an entire land out of the highest grossing movie of all time.

Just sayin'.

Arguing that Avatar (or any IP really) is an unfit basis for an attraction is really pointless. We all know that's not true.

Well, if you don't care for it I guess Disney shouldn't bother, right? :rolleyes:

Wow... Why such long posts?!

Captain Neo

I wonder if Disney will agree to giving Avatar an even larger budget and more attractions now that Harry Potter is expanding. Seems reasonable.

If not please revamp Epcot Center. The Wonders of Life pavilion sits empty, Universe of Energy and Journey into your imagination are attractions so old and cringe worthy that they are completely uninteresting to guests. Spaceship Earth needs new narration that doesn't talk down to the audience and a satisfying ending and world showcase could use a new country or two or at least a few more rides.

RSoxNo1

I wonder if Disney will agree to giving Avatar an even larger budget and more attractions now that Harry Potter is expanding. Seems reasonable.

If not please revamp Epcot Center. The Wonders of Life pavilion sits empty, Universe of Energy and Journey into your imagination are attractions so old and cringe worthy that they are completely uninteresting to guests. Spaceship Earth needs new narration that doesn't talk down to the audience and a satisfying ending and world showcase could use a new country or two or at least a few more rides.

Given the initial luke warm response to the Avatar announcement I would guess that if anything the budget would be cut and moved to other projects.

ChrisM

Yes, the world lacks depth. Depth is not measured in scientific quantification. My writing is actually rather specific, should you not pick out one word and make assumptions about the rest of what I have said has been.

The world in Avatar has a shimmer over it, a fakeness, that is all an overcoat to...nothing. So whatever he consulted these scientists on didn't do a tinkers darn worth of making that world feel deep, alive, and compelling.

It was just pretty.

There is nothing "authentic" about a digitally created landscape, no matter what equations scientists came up with to "authenticate" it. That's a science experiment, not a deep, compelling world to build stories on.

But as you seem to be one of those who think this film is somehow an ethereal experience and not the cheap trick popcorn movie it was, I guess I shouldn't waste my time, either. ;)

The depth I'm referring to is that there's a plausible and justifiable reason for effectively everything in the world portrayed in Avatar. From the reason why organisms on Pandora are largely hexapodal, to the prevalence of bioluminescence, to the floating mountains, to the history of mankind's discovery of the planetary system around Alpha Centauri and how the transportation system from Earth to Pandora functions. There's an incredible wealth of backstory to read and, frankly, I found that material far more compelling than the film which I enjoyed but fell well short of loving.

And why does this matter? It matters because when I'm entering Animal Kingdom, I'm not looking for utter fantasy, I'm looking for some real attempt at natural authenticity. And plopping in something that was just manufactured whole cloth with no effort towards making it somewhat plausible would be ridiculous. What Avatar's ecosystem represents is our current best thinking as to what an actual exo-ecosystem could possible look like, with a soundly researched and authenticated scientific explanation for all of it. It's effectively the Animal Kingdom's version of Tomorrowland.

I'm sorry that it doesn't float your boat.

The Empress Lilly

I'm looking for some real attempt at natural authenticity. And plopping in something that was just manufactured whole cloth with no effort towards making it somewhat plausible would be ridiculous. What Avatar's ecosystem represents is our current best thinking as to what an actual exo-ecosystem could possible look like, with a soundly researched and authenticated scientific explanation for all of it. It's effectively the Animal Kingdom's version of Tomorrowland.
That actually makes it sound real cool. Thanks for that! I hadn't considerd it this way before.

I thoroughly dislike crypto-zoology. I don't need Yetis or unicorns or six-legged horses with USB connections.
But hypothetical zoology has actual merit. Indeed, it overlaps with paleontology and theoretical evolution. I'm a bit more enthusiatic about Avatarland now that I've thought about it in this way.

DisneyBoi1215

Funny, as I was in ImageWorks the other day and heard guests say nothing but positive comments regarding the ride and EO. Maybe it's a sign? lol.

fosse76

That actually makes it sound real cool. Thanks for that! I hadn't considerd it this way before.

I thoroughly dislike crypto-zoology. I don't need Yetis or unicorns or six-legged horses with USB connections.
But hypothetical zoology has actual merit. Indeed, it overlaps with paleontology and theoretical evolution. I'm a bit more enthusiatic about Avatarland now that I've thought about it in this way.

So let me get this right: mythological creatures based on culture and history you dislike, but fake life on a fake planet that pretty much anyone can invent impresses you? Seriously?

ChrisM

So let me get this right: mythological creatures based on culture and history you dislike, but fake life on a fake planet that pretty much anyone can invent impresses you? Seriously?

So let me get this right: fake creatures sprung forth from the often drug or starvation induced hallucinations of our illiterate and largely uneducated ancestors impresses you, but prognostications from some of the most educated and well informed people that the world has ever seen you dislike?

fosse76

So let me get this right: fake creatures sprung forth from the often drug or starvation induced hallucinations of our illiterate and largely uneducated ancestors impresses you, but prognostications from some of the most educated and well informed people that the world has ever seen you dislike?

Oh please. Anyone with 8th grade science could have come up with the biological lifeforms and the planet in Avatar. They aren't that complicated. The mythological creatures such as unicorns, the yeti, Loch Ness monster, etc. have a rich, vibrant and colorful history in folklore, which is a lot more interesting since there can be so many different sources.

ChrisM

Oh please. Anyone with 8th grade science could have come up with the biological lifeforms and the planet in Avatar. They aren't that complicated. The mythological creatures such as unicorns, the yeti, Loch Ness monster, etc. have a rich, vibrant and colorful history in folklore, which is a lot more interesting since there can be so many different sources.

On the other hand, apparently anyone can come up with creatures from folklore since so many different cultures have come up with effectively the same creature. Over and over and over again.

Bigfoot, Yeti, Saskwatch, Yowie. Nessie, Ogopogo, Champ, Auli. Even the unicorn comes from a variety of European and Asian sources.

Pretty bland. Not only "could" anyone come up with them, everyone actually did.

FigmentJedi

People said tyhat Syar Wars was a one-of. Then three years later they released the magnificent The Empire Strikes Back. :shrug:
Lucas had plans to make a sequel regardless of how well New Hope did. That's why Splinter of the Mind's Eye was written, so it could be a Star Wars sequel on a lower budget.

c-one

Has this thread degenerated into a fight over whether or not "Avatar" is better than traditional folkloric tales? This is getting surreal.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Has this thread degenerated into a fight over whether or not "Avatar" is better than traditional folkloric tales? This is getting surreal.

Yep, its becoming like the Fastpass debates, one person starts it on a random thread and thats all that gets discussed after that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom