Two Spirited Quickees...Imagination closing

Figments Friend

Very interesting. I've always thought that it sounded odd that Kodak would've pushed for what Imagination turned into. Or have been happy with it considering how well done the original was. I'd love to see what we were supposed to get before politics edged into it.

As for 20,000, so it wasn't because the subs weren't handicapped accessible or a big leak in the lagoon?

It always drew a huge line and wait time (probably because of the ride system) and aside from the 'smell' to it, it seemed pretty popular.

The Subs were 'sabotaged' in a similar fashion by Ops to force a closure for budget saving reasons.
The tales about it being closed for 'safety' reasons, or handicapped access and the like were just about as true as the 'sinkhole' that took Horizons away.

Read all about the saga of the Subs here, on this page of a nice tribute site to the lost attraction.
Scroll down about half way to read about it's 'closure'...

http://www.20kride.com/history.html

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Great description of a sad story.

I was also under the impression that the Pressler effect was very much at work here (and at DCAs ToT). According to the story, Pressler was convinced rides were too long, that attention spans are shorter, so just like that the replacement ride was 1/3 shorter. Of course it didn't hurt that a shorter ride is a cheaper ride...

Yes, i would agree that the cost-cutting craze we saw at DL at the time was also being felt on the other coast.

The time period when the changes were being made at the Imagination Pavilion were during that rough period.

It really is a shame that the Original was not allowed to sit for just a couple of more years....it likely would have survived the interior wrecking ball as clearer heads would have prevailed.

Alektronic

The primary reason was that Ops had grown tired of the expense to maintain it, and internal company politics.

The actual cause for it's closure was sabotage from within the Company itself.
A devious 'plotted closure' by Ops and perhaps some others with a personal grudge against someone involved in the creation of the Original.
Jealously runs rampant in creative communities, and let me just leave it at that.
Not sure how in depth i should get...but it did not entirely have to do with Kodak insisting on a update via contract.

Basically, once the 'HISTA' film opened and was a success, it was decided now was the opportune time to shutter the expensive ride.
It began when the Guest flow to enter the two attractions was changed to create ridership numbers purposely made to prove to the folks in charge that the Original Imagination Ride was 'not popular anymore' and was not drawing in suitable ridership numbers.

Instead of entering the Pavilion as you normally would and begin with the ride first, it was roped off and Guests were told to enter into the Magic Eye theater instead first...completely bypassing the ride altogether.
Most who exited the theater missed the area where you were supposed to enter to ride the indoor Attraction...and the result was hardly anyone riding.
The sudden 'decline' shown on paper was the 'proof' certain parties needed to push their own agendas.

Kodak was convinced, as many were who were there during the 'replacement ride concept' pitch, that the new attraction to replace it would be even more amazing. WDI was selling it at the time as one of the most mindblowing creative experiences ever, and Kodak agreed to the re-do based on that presentation.

Regarding where Mr. Baxter and friends were at the time....without getting into too personal territory there was some unfortunate shifts going on at WDI at the time all of this was happening.
WDI is a extremely political organization, and if your don't 'play the game' your chances of getting decent projects to work on or even keeping your job or pretty slim.
Tony was on a roll with a amazing creative streak like no other.
He had quite a impessive run of major attractions under his belt and this unfortunately created some jealousy within the ranks for some apparently.
Like i said, jealously runs rampant in creative communities.

Tony was i believe in the midst of working on the DL Tomorrowland project when the changes started happening to the Imagination Pavilion.
I am sure he spoke up once he learned what was being planned, as he does speak his mind rather well.
I am not the one to speak for him though...i think only he could answer properly as to where he was during all of this.

Regardless, it was a cruel and malicious thought process that went into the planned decimation of his greatest achievement in themed entertainment.
My opinion.

So those involved, and those in Ops, succeeded.
The numbers game that was played convinced the uppers that changes needed to happen to 'upgrade' the existing Attraction.
Then we see the invasion of the Imagination Institute and the complete and utter eraser of any trace of the Original.

The resulting ride replacement, the notoriously famous and much despised second version, 'Journey Into YOUR Imagination' was a shallow abyss of nothingness.
Kodak was furious.
They were damn proud of being associated with the most popular attraction in EPCOT and they were mighty ticked to see the final result.
Eisner was too...as has been noted in previous posts.
He immediately ordered WDI back to the drawing boards to enhance and replace this tragic excuse for a dark ride.

I probably do not even have to touch on how all of this effected Tony and those who helped create the Original.
Absolutely devastating emotional blow...not just for the fans, but for them too.

So yeah...it was all done to save a few bucks and try to 'settle' personal internal grudges.

This is nothing new...falsely manipulating the ridership numbers on purpose to close or 'force change' a Attraction has been going on for years.
Another excellent and depressing example is the fabulous '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea' Attraction at the MK.
Ops wanted out of the expensive maintenance involved in refurbing the Subs and lagoon and staged a planned similar stunt to 'prove' to Company uppers that it needed to be closed 'for safety concerns' and 'low attendance numbers'.
The story of that heist is almost as outrageous as the JII sabotage...

Actually, Kodak got tired of paying a huge amount for the monthly maintenance upkeep. It had over 50 AA figures and animated props and over 40 film projectors, so it took a lot to keep it running. The major decision like always was based one thing, just like usual, MONEY! So they sold Kodak on a way to reduce their maintenance costs over the next 10 years, get rid of the costly items. Get rid of all the AA's and film projectors and just replace them with some video, a lot less expensive and easy to maintain. Get rid of the turntable because you don't need it now without animation, reduce the track by about 1/3 and then you can move ImageWorks downstairs and use a lot of video there and easier to maintain. So it was all about reducing costs and nothing about Show Quality or having any kind of a good ride.

PeterAlt

In all fairness to @PeterAlt, I think I know what "credible" site he read the coaster section intended for the original Imagination was. It was here, WDWmagic. I read it too. In this thread. From Raven, when he was giving reasons as to why the building couldn't be converted to a trackless system when I said I'd like to see a refurb of Imagination look like Tokyo's PHH (he was nice enough not to call me out specifically, just that he was tired of hearing it because it was impossible and would call for the demolishion of the entire building), where he mentioned the coaster section, which I believe he said would have taken place in the upper level... it might have been another Imagination thread, but I'm pretty sure it was this one.
I know it was mentioned here too. I'm now pretty sure it was one if those blogs that published every newly released detail about the making of EC for what was the big celebration that just past (25th/30th). The quote I published from Tony Baxter was during that celebration. The link I posted just barely touched on the subject. The one I can't find went into it with more detail and may have been taken from the same event that Tony Baxter was quoted from (from the link I posted earlier).

OneLittleSpark

I thought near the back of the pavilion there were a few areas that had slight dips/ bumps to the track ( maybe 2 to 3 feet) up or down. I guess the floor might still be level but just the track may be changed in the trough.

FigmentsFangirl

My curiousness cannot be contained, is Imagination with Figment closing or no ? Every CM I speak with have the same answer, they will be shocked to find out if it is true or not.

I am hoping it is not true, I love visiting Figments. He's so fun!

FigmentsFangirl

Depends on what they mean by "coaster like elements", there were twists and turns in the tracks at some points but no upramps or declines or anything designed to change levels of the building.
When you exit the smell lab and enter Figments Unreal Estate Closed House {I think that was how it went}, the track does go down then up a bit, then back to level grade after passing through Figments

Also am I the only one that noticed that Figment drives a Ford Ranger pickup truck ?

Figment2005

When you exit the smell lab and enter Figments Unreal Estate Closed House {I think that was how it went}, the track does go down then up a bit, then back to level grade after passing through Figments

Also am I the only one that noticed that Figment drives a Ford Ranger pickup truck ?
It's actually a Chevrolet S-10. Not to nitpick or anything.

Figments Friend

Very good explanation, But I just find that hard to believe that what we have now, which is kind of like Chocolate World, is a "mindblowing creative experience ever". Besides, Hershey Chocolate World is much closer to me (ride on the turnpike), smells much better and they give out free candy at the end. What is it with Disney and rides with bad odors?
Heh heh...well Imagination never used to smell 'bad'...it used to smell really nice before Figment started 'skunk farting' on Guests.

In the Original's 'Dream Port' section, a perfume atomizer used to puff out a wonderful Rose scent. You could smell it as soon as you entered the Pavilion.
To this day when i smell something rose scented, i immediately am reminded of the original ride.

BobConnor

Lowes and HD sell floor leveling compounds so maybe the contractors will use some of that to make those areas level.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I thought near the back of the pavilion there were a few areas that had slight dips/ bumps to the track ( maybe 2 to 3 feet) up or down. I guess the floor might still be level but just the track may be changed in the trough.
The track does dip and change grade slightly in sections. Best seen in a front row POV from the original ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom