Two Spirited Quickees...Imagination closing

tribbleorlfl

Well people were all the time raving about how much they like the smell of burning Rome.
They must have figured they had discovered the secret to making a good attraction.
It's funny, my dad used to work 3rd Shift maintenance @ EPCOT in the early 90's. He'd come home smelling like Pompeii every morning! Let me tell you, it's cool on the ride and all, but you don't want your house smelling like it.

We were so happy when he transferred to Horizons, as the L'Orange scent was much more pleasant.

MerlinTheGoat

At this point i'd just like to know whether it's still a project or not. Forget the details, is a redo even in the plan at all now? Is the current ride still closing early next year?

And for that matter, I still want to know what the plans are for the Osborn Lights since that was also a topic of this thread...

MerlinTheGoat

Can't get a definite though it wouldn't surprise me if it was shuttered just after New Year.
Thanks for that little morsel even if we can't be sure about it. :)

But by "shuttered", do you mean permanent closure ala Wonders of Life, or do they actually still intend to redo the ride? As much as I hate the current ride and wouldn't consider it a loss if replaced, I actually want it replaced and not closed for good. I don't want them to just close yet another pavilion forever...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thanks for that little morsel even if we can't be sure about it. :)

But by "shuttered", do you mean permanent closure ala Wonders of Life, or do they actually still intend to redo the ride? As much as I hate the current ride and wouldn't consider it a loss if replaced, I actually want it replaced and not closed for good. I don't want them to just close yet another pavilion forever...
This by no means gospel but I understand they want an expensive overhaul that they can't afford yet. Perhaps they want to close it in the meantime to save further embarrassment. But given the state of Futureworld if this is the thinking you have to question their mentality. Again.

MerlinTheGoat

I want an expensive overhaul too, it deserves it after the mess it's been in for so long now. My worry is that they'll just close it and a budget isn't ever approved, so they just decide to keep it closed and turn it into more convention space for drunk fests...

Seabasealpha1

Expensive overhauls are the bestest! But I find it hard to believe that they can't do it without a sponsor...or that there isn't one somewhere...

Why not try Crayola, Apple, Canon...someone in the creativity industry...?

Heck...if they can get Xerox, they can do a scene where figment drops trou and photocopies those little purple buns! That'd be a a riot and educational!

BobConnor

Meanwhile, does an version like the original HAVE to be so expensive today? For example, digital projectors could take the place of all the film that was necessary before. Trackless would not need as much maintaince as tracked vehicles. LED lights could last longer and use less energy. These things weren't around or were in their early stages in 1999 but could cut costs today. As for animatronics Pirates of the Caribbean has a lot but you don't hear of that ride being too expensive.

novawildcat18

I've heard that Epcot won't be getting any significant new attractions until at least the 2020's. I'm not sure if that would include an Imagination re-do or not, but I don't think anything will happen. I think that Figment will continue to live on in his sad, current form.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Meanwhile, does an version like the original HAVE to be so expensive today? For example, digital projectors could take the place of all the film that was necessary before. Trackless would not need as much maintaince as tracked vehicles. LED lights could last longer and use less energy. These things weren't around or were in their early stages in 1999 but could cut costs today. As for animatronics Pirates of the Caribbean has a lot but you don't hear of that ride being too expensive.

I would not count on any trackless system to have lower maintenance costs than a tried and true track/rail system. They both have moving parts, and may even to be argued that a trackless is more complex and may end up costing more to maintain as the highest system reliability is not completely flushed out yet.

LED lights are much more cost effective with regard to maintenance but cost quite a bit more up front, it is just now that many municipalities are finding that the price points are close enough to justify using them as a means to reduce future labor expense to replace burned out units.

MerlinTheGoat

Do Universe of Energy and/or Great Movie Ride count as trackless? Not the kind used in Hunny Hunt, Mystic Manor and the new Ratatouille of course but some kind of earlier attempt at a trackless system.

dgp602

This by no means gospel but I understand they want an expensive overhaul that they can't afford yet. Perhaps they want to close it in the meantime to save further embarrassment. But given the state of Futureworld if this is the thinking you have to question their mentality. Again.
I cannot get my head around the phrase "they can't afford". I get the upcoming expenditures with Avatar Land, a possible DHS re-do, Downtown Disney re-do, etc.. But come on. What kind of money are we really talking about? Less than $50 million to do a nice re-Imagineering? Pocket change especially with the right sponsorship...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom