Two Spirited Quickees...Imagination closing

PeterAlt

Please do. I'd be interested in reading it. Again, there was no coaster proposal. Indeed, there was no time. Even in early 79 imagination was an empty, unnamed pavilion that had a vague role as transition from Futureworld to showcase. Kodak signed up late since they felt they were missing better exposure and the ride concept was thrown together in a fast tracked brain storm. This is best shown in the fact the pavilion didn't even groundbreak until May 81.

The upper level was going to have an exterior viewing balcony, but that was it. The upper level isn't nearly as big as the ground floor in floor space, onstage or backstage.
Yeah, now I really want to find it! I'll post it here as soon as I find it...

PeterAlt

I'll also add the building was built in size and shape to specifically accommodate what was built, not to add anything shoehorned into a previously designed area. For a coaster or anything else.
Okay, I found something! This is not what I was looking for. What I was looking for specifically mentions the reason for the second floor as being for planned roller coaster elements of the ride. What I've found here at least confirms that roller coaster elements in the ride were originally desired. Now, to quote this new source:

"Baxter interestingly noted that three parts of the Journey Into Imagination ride were supposed to be roller coaster style segments, leading into the terror, science, and on-ride photo, segments of the attraction but the ride system didn’t cooperate and wouldn’t allow it."

Source of quote:
http://www./2012/09/fascinating-fac...-by-d23-in-walt-disney-world-fan-celebration/

I'll keep looking for the source I originally mentioned.

Goofyernmost

Very much.
I can tell you this much, and this is fact. Right under the giant turntable is a footing for an expanded monorail. The plan is to knock a hole in the second floor and tread a roller-coaster up through and a some point will pass over and loop around then under the monorail train. Fortunately, it's all located within the Imagination building because 98% or that whole ride will be you imagining it's happening. :joyfull:

doctornick

I know the original cannot ever return, and in all honesty as much as i adored it, it should remain in the past.
A return of the original's spirit, creativity, and ability to inspire and enpower is what is needed....not a recreation or attempted cloning of the original.

Why not? If the turntable was an operational issue, that's one thing, such that the ride wouldn't be rebuilt exactly as originally designed. But why can't a similar ride be built for Imagination that features the same basic storyline, but with some modifications?

The original Imagination ride was wonderful and, as I've previously stated, was something that would have stood the test of time and not become dated (unlike other FW rides) even if left unchanged due to the nature of the theme and excellent execution. I don't understand that if Disney really wants to "fix" Imagination, why they wouldn't take out the old plans, figure out what is economically feasible and bring back a version of it. It's naive to think that that would happen, but I don't get the sentiment that it shouldn't happen.

Anyway, the Tiki room came back mostly intact, so why not Imagination?

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Why not? If the turntable was an operational issue, that's one thing, such that the ride wouldn't be rebuilt exactly as originally designed. But why can't a similar ride be built for Imagination that features the same basic storyline, but with some modifications?

The original Imagination ride was wonderful and, as I've previously stated, was something that would have stood the test of time and not become dated (unlike other FW rides) even if left unchanged due to the nature of the theme and excellent execution. I don't understand that if Disney really wants to "fix" Imagination, why they wouldn't take out the old plans, figure out what is economically feasible and bring back a version of it. It's naive to think that that would happen, but I don't get the sentiment that it shouldn't happen.

Anyway, the Tiki room came back mostly intact, so why not Imagination?

I agree that something similar would be nice, and i have expressed in the past several times in various threads that the Original JII attraction was indeed quite timeless in all respects.
This is part of the great tragedy of it's destruction...it did not need to be 'updated' in the purist sense of the word because it was already 'timeless' in both it's plot, setting, and characters. A slight refreshing was all it needed and it could have gone on for another 15 to 20 years, in my opinion.
The ride could have become immortal...just like POTC and THM.
It was not allowed to for reasons already noted....sadly.

Having said that, my reason for expressing that i don't necessarily feel that a complete and total 'recreation' of the Original was proper as the next re-do is because it would not be something i think WDI would be interested in doing. It would be nice to see a similar experience that harkens back to the Original, but a complete recreation just does not seem possible.
The example of the Tiki Room you gave is a excellent one.
It was 'easy' to bring that back...as the overall interior show elements were not decimated.
The interior and the show elements were also not severely and permanently removed, altered, or outright destroyed and replaced.
All the Tiki Room needed was having the show audio changed, and the additonal new figures and modern lighting rigs removed.

Now try doing that to the Imagination Pavilion....
NOTHING remains of the Original in the currant ride except a few random parts ( primarily in the queue area). It was completely gutted.
If it is to return to being a elaborate, engulfing experience similar to what it was before, there is a LOT of work that needs to be done.
Not to mention some serious money spent to alter the interior.
I have serious doubts that Disney would invest so heavily is such a task.

I agree that it would be great to see aspects of the Original return in a new interpretation. I can't see a complete and accurate copy happening...but a nice balance between what was working in the Original and some new scenes or plussing elements would be going in the right direction.

So the big question is....will the re-do be done 'right' this time with that big money/budget.
That is the question everyone wants to know.

No half-measures this time around.
Capture the spirit of the Original, but make it a new experience that incorporates the creative and inspiring elements of the Original.
People bring up the 'Pooh's Hunny Hunt' attraction with it's trackless 'free roaming' honey pots as something that would fit well into the mix for a new ride at the Imagination Pavilion.
I have to say i agree, and the entire last couple of segments in 'PHH' i can see as being forerunners to things that could work well in a new Imagination attraction.

Recipe for the new re-do:
Add a bit of the new ride tech if need be.
Mix in a nice obvious nod to the past.
Toss in some familiar characters already associated with the Pavilion and beloved ( no IPs need apply..)
Mix in a heap of inspiration and true expressive creativity.
Seperate the elements from the past and the present that were/are 'working'...ditch the leftovers.
Stir well with a magic wand....
and wah-lah :
The perfect new Imagination Attraction that feels new but reflects on the previous Original incarnations spirit.

This would make for a attraction worthy of being located in a Pavilion dedicated to 'imagination' then..!
:)

There cannot be a bigger fan of the Original then me.
'Obsessed' and 'Passionate' are the two words folks who know me say when the topic comes up and my name and the attraction come up.
The ride changed my life and had a absolutely HUGE influence on me in several respects. Major influence on so many levels.
If Tony Baxter would let me borrow his time machine, i would be the first in line ( after him, of course..) to take it back to 1983 and ride it again.
I adore the Original Attraction to no end.

As much as a love it and hold it in such dear respects, i have doubts that a carbon-copied recreation of it today would be the answer.

Last edited:

Beholder

I agree that something similar would be nice, and i have expressed in the past several times in various threads that the Original JII attraction was indeed quite timeless in all respects.
This is part of the great tragedy of it's destruction...it did not need to be 'updated' in the purist sense of the word because it was already 'timeless' in both it's plot, setting, and characters. A slight refreshing was all it needed and it could have gone on for another 15 to 20 years, in my opinion.

Having said that, my reason for expressing that i don't necessarily feel that a complete and total 'recreation' of the Original was proper as the next re-do is because it would not be something i think WDI would be interested in doing. It would be nice to see a similar experience that harkens back to the Original, but a complete recreation just does not seem possible.
It was 'easy' to bring that back...as the overall interior show elements were not decimated.
The interior and the show elements were also not severely and permanently removed, altered, or outright destroyed and replaced.
All the Tiki Room needed was having the show audio changed, and the additonal new figures and modern lighting rigs removed.

NOTHING remains of the Original in the currant ride except a few random parts ( primarily in the queue area). It was completely gutted.
If it is to return to being a elaborate, engulfing experience similar to what it was before, there is a LOT of work that needs to be done.

I agree that it would be great to see aspects of the Original return in a new interpretation. I can't see a complete and accurate copy happening...but a nice balance between what was working in the Original and some new scenes or plussing elements would be going in the right direction.

So the big question is....will the re-do be done 'right' this time with that big money/budget.

Capture the spirit of the Original, but make it a new experience that incorporates the creative and inspiring elements of the Original.
People bring up the 'Pooh's Hunny Hunt' attraction with it's trackless 'free roaming' honey pots as something that would fit well into the mix for a new ride at the Imagination Pavilion.
I have to say i agree, and the entire last couple of segments in 'PHH' i can see as being forerunners to things that could work well in a new Imagination attraction.

Toss in some familiar characters already associated with the Pavilion and beloved ( no IPs need apply..)
Seperate the elements from the past and the present that were/are 'working'...ditch the leftovers.
and wah-lah :
The perfect new Imagination Attraction that feels new but reflects on the previous Original incarnations spirit.

This would make for a attraction worthy of being located in a Pavilion dedicated to 'imagination' then..!

'Obsessed' and 'Passionate' are the two words folks who know me say when the topic comes up and my name and the attraction come up.
The ride changed my life and had a absolutely HUGE influence on me in several respects. Major influence on so many levels.
If Tony Baxter would let me borrow his time machine, i would be the first in line ( after him, of course..) to take it back to 1983 and ride it again.

As much as a love it and hold it in such dear respects, i have doubts that a carbon-copied recreation of it today would be the answer.

I so love your passion for Imagination! If only those that have been entrusted with EPCOT's well being had a quarter of the love you do.

I agree that a carbon copy isn't the answer, but perhaps a continuation or a faithful homage to the original with (obviously) new tech and new ideas. This attraction deserves the greatest of attention, because if any one ride/attraction captures the overall spirit of EPCOT (Disney!), its Imagination.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Wow. It's a general attitude that he's talking about. Today, they say, "Why build monorail when you have buses." Versus: "Let's be innovative and do things differently because we can." It's "Let's imagine the city of the future and let's be the first to build it!" Versus: "We have all this land.... Let's treat it like any ordinary real estate project in this country..."

I totally get what he's saying. He thinks like Walt Disney did!

Thanks! - He INDEED gets it as a child when I saw the Apollo missions and parents got me up early and late to see them I always wanted to be an engineer, Astronauts were cool but ENGINEERS made it happen, Both my parents were engineers and grandmother was a hospital executive and later a college professor.

TV hero was Montogomery Scott, He taught me that a ship of any sort was simply a hunk of metal unless it had someone who truly understood and loved it to make it GO.

America was BUILT by Engineers - now its been overrun by a class of people who are seeking rent for others work - which I think is a fitting metaphor for Disney as well, Walt Dreamed and Did, Iger collects rent and contributes nothing of value.

Collectively I think our pets could do a better job of running the park and country that the current management of both. Spirit's cat could certainly run Epcot better.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I so love your passion for Imagination! If only those that have been entrusted with EPCOT's well being had a quarter of the love you do.

I agree that a carbon copy isn't the answer, but perhaps a continuation or a faithful homage to the original with (obviously) new tech and new ideas. This attraction deserves the greatest of attention, because if any one ride/attraction captures the overall spirit of EPCOT (Disney!), its Imagination.

The original would be seen as lame but the concepts of Dreamfinder and Figment need to be a key element, Currently Figment watches over my development lab and makes sure I have a steady stream of whacked out ideas to try.

Jwhee

I think the new version should include some of the old and beloved epcot characters that are no longer used (Dream Finder, Mr Dairy Goods, Buzzy, and maybe other food rocks/ kabaret guys like the peach boys)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

and wah-lah :

PHH is a great basis it could also be driven so that each vehicle has it's own unique ride which should be interactive

Figments Friend

I appreciate the kind words, but rest assured there ARE people in the Company that have the same passion but are not currently in a position to make many waves within.

They are there however....amid the regiment.....and at some point maybe they will be able to make some changes.

Anything is indeed possible.

Time changes ALL things...exspecially EPCOT, as we know !

P.S. - Agree with your statement regarding the importance that should be placed on the Imagination Pavilion.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

PHH is a great basis it could also be driven so that each vehicle has it's own unique ride which should be interactive

I need to post the video i was watching a week or so ago so folks who may not be familiar with the 'Pooh's Hunny Hunt' ride will get a better understanding about what we are talking about...
Here it is : A great video showing a overview of the unique dark ride experience of Tokyo Disneyland's 'Pooh's Hunny Hunt'.

Pay attention to the 'bouncing' room when you bounce with Tigger, and everything that happens in the next few rooms.
The 'dream sequence' effects, Huffalump room and following scene transition tunnel all hint at some of the fantastic and imaginative elements that could easily be adapted for a new Imagination ride re-do.

Just a cool overview of what 'could be'....and i have not even touched on the trackless ride system aspects of it!
The possibilities are endless...

Last edited:

Admiral01

Premium Member
Even without the trackless ride system, PHH does show some really neat ride effects. It is very unique, and seems to be the sort of quality that would fit in a Future World pavilion.

And I think that leads to one of the issues with Future World. The entire section of the park is centered around big, beautiful pavilion buildings. Each needs to have an equally impressive ride. JIIwF and The Seas are not impressive enough to fill the space in Future World. The Seas would be a great kiddie dark ride in a place like Animal Kingdom, but it isn't "grand" enough to take up the space at EPCOT. Neither is JIIwF... I don't even think that the current UoE attraction is very "grand" as I've stated in the past, that UoE feels like an afterschool special on energy much more than the EPCOT energy pavilion. Thank goodness the UoE format, ride system, and dinorama are still in place, otherwise that afterschool special wouldn't even be worth seeing every few visits.

FW needs grand, goose-bump inducing, thought provoking, high quality themed rides...which does not mean thrill rides. They need to fit with the "grand" feeling of the architecture and layout of the park.

Heck, PHH in Tokyo seems grander than the current Imagination.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom