Two Spirited Quickees...Imagination closing

The Empress Lilly

Fake.

And they'd better paint everything pale purples again.
The colour scheme for Imagination is set in stone. Blue for Dreamfinder, combined with royal purple for Figment.

332502409_95aca4d624_z.jpg

'He's royal purple pigment' - Figment's colour scheme was adopted for the entire park. The same blue with Figgy's shades of purple made it to your bedroom wall:

epcot-official-album.gif

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I personally think Mission: SPACE is just this - a black box with a facade. Architecturally, it doesn't fit with the other really quite stunning buildings in Future World. Horizons was beautiful. MS is just a box with a facade...

I actually don't mind the exterior of MS. It's the interior that bothers me once you leave the queue. The pre-show is fun, but from there on you are shoved into unthemed hallways into an obvious simulator, then you have to walk a very long and drab hallway to a room with a boring group game, a video game room that often has broken stations, vending machines (including the free postcard thing), and a set of softplay tubes straight out of Chuck E Cheese or McDonalds.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Is that a thing then? Looks awesome. They could make a cartoon out of it, even a little dragon franchise.

Also, I now wish Disney would buy Game of Thrones. Put that in DAK, in the Beastly Kingdom spot instead of Lamatar!

Not sure the graphic nudity would work...well...I guess it could. It would certainly make a night spot for lonely male convention guests after a "drink around the world" at Epcot...

Admiral01

Premium Member
I actually don't mind the exterior of MS. It's the interior that bothers me once you leave the queue. The pre-show is fun, but from there on you are shoved into unthemed hallways into an obvious simulator, then you have to walk a very long and drab hallway to a room with a boring group game, a video game room that often has broken stations, vending machines (including the free postcard thing), and a set of softplay tubes straight out of Chuck E Cheese or McDonalds.

Agreed on the interior. It doesn't do the theme justice...it seems lazy. Some good ideas that were poorly executed, with some other not-so-good ideas.

As for the exterior, I am a fan of the larger than life simple geometric shapes. The pavilion doesn't have the "wow" effect that Horizons used to have, or that The Land has, when I walk through the Innoventions breezeways from the central plaza to the East and West sides of the park. I personally would have liked to have seen one of two very different approaches.

1. Instead of the model planets and spaceship on the exterior, it would have been really neat if the exterior was much cleaner, with a large spire extending from the ground into the sky a couple stories. That way, SSE and M:S would have similar appearances to the Trylon and Perisphere from the 39 World's Fair, but with their sizes reversed.
2. Alternatively, if we want to go with a model of the spacecraft, build a forced perspective full spacecraft, booster, and launch pad/tower on top of the building. That way you feel as you walk into the training center that the real ship is off in the distance, poised and ready to launch on a nearby launchpad. Heck, they could do a "launch" every hour, with lights, sound effects, and visuals.

Obviously, to each their own. I like to think the aesthetics aren't just nostalgia for me. EPCOT has amazing architecture, regardless of what is inside the building. SSE is one of the coolest structures I've ever seen. I don't think M:S fits that architecture. It looks more like something you would find in DHS or MK. I realize that many of the buildings have "boxes" behind them...pretty much all except SSE, UoE, Test Track, and The Living Seas. But the architecture of the rest (all of World Showcase, and the rest of Future World) makes it feel like the buildings I walk into are full buildings, not just facades like M:S.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Agreed on the interior. It doesn't do the theme justice...it seems lazy. Some good ideas that were poorly executed, with some other not-so-good ideas.

As for the exterior, I am a fan of the larger than life simple geometric shapes. The pavilion doesn't have the "wow" effect that Horizons used to have, or that The Land has, when I walk through the Innoventions breezeways from the central plaza to the East and West sides of the park. I personally would have liked to have seen one of two very different approaches.

1. Instead of the model planets and spaceship on the exterior, it would have been really neat if the exterior was much cleaner, with a large spire extending from the ground into the sky a couple stories. That way, SSE and M:S would have similar appearances to the Trylon and Perisphere from the 39 World's Fair, but with their sizes reversed.
2. Alternatively, if we want to go with a model of the spacecraft, build a forced perspective full spacecraft, booster, and launch pad/tower on top of the building. That way you feel as you walk into the training center that the real ship is off in the distance, poised and ready to launch on a nearby launchpad. Heck, they could do a "launch" every hour, with lights, sound effects, and visuals.

Obviously, to each their own. I like to think the aesthetics aren't just nostalgia for me. EPCOT has amazing architecture, regardless of what is inside the building. SSE is one of the coolest structures I've ever seen. I don't think M:S fits that architecture. It looks more like something you would find in DHS or MK. I realize that many of the buildings have "boxes" behind them...pretty much all except SSE, UoE, Test Track, and The Living Seas. But the architecture of the rest (all of World Showcase, and the rest of Future World) makes it feel like the buildings I walk into are full buildings, not just facades like M:S.

I agree...but partially.

The exterior works fine (though I do bow to the curve vs angle argument raised by another poster regarding overall theme...the reason World of Motion stuck out so much from the other East pavilions was that it was round...)

Anyhow, it works fine, far better than the stroller collection area the Land has become today.

Admiral01

Premium Member
I agree...but partially.

The exterior works fine (though I do bow to the curve vs angle argument raised by another poster regarding overall theme...the reason World of Motion stuck out so much from the other East pavilions was that it was round...)

Anyhow, it works fine, far better than the stroller collection area the Land has become today.

Agreed. The stroller lot in front of The Land needs to be moved, like, to the Magic Kingdom... :)

Fairybuzz

Yeh thats what I meant. Pretty much rides in mk do have show buildigns behind (so did wol's body wars and imagination) but their fronts werent just fronts they were works of art. They all made you feel like the pavillion. Imagination was like constructive thought it went well with the enttrance to the old image works too. WOL was very organic biological looking The land a greenhouse, etc Even WOM/TT's cylander looks automotive somehow. sooo much more could be done with ms other than a less cool looking version of the living seas entrance. I just see them removing the pyramids to put up some stupid SCIENCE TECH FAIR center or worse a giant p and f house that would look as out of place as it's a small world in frontierland. If they replace it with another thrill ride I'm really gonna be running out of options for rides my sis can go on when I take her to epcot.

Lee

Adventurer
I personally think Mission: SPACE is just this - a black box with a facade. Architecturally, it doesn't fit with the other really quite stunning buildings in Future World. Horizons was beautiful. MS is just a box with a facade...
But, the facade is amazing (IMNSHO).
My favorite look in Future World, by far.

The Empress Lilly

But, the facade is amazing (IMNSHO).
My favorite look in Future World, by far.
Oh, M:S has a decent looking façade alright. Not unpleasant to the eye.

But it is a complete misfit. Like putting Spaceship Earth in Frontierland.

FW, like the MK and DAK, has got lands too.
FW West is about organic shapes. Seashells and oceanic curves, soil and plants, and crystals. All set in a park with winding paths, curves. FW East is about geometrical shapes. A square disguised as a triangle, a wheel, and a...diamond (/space ship thingy), set in a park of straight lines, sharp edges. M:S's intrusive façade doesn't fit at all and drags down the entire land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom