Two Spirited Quickees...Imagination closing

sparky03

Anyone see the recurring theme here?

It's the mindset that Disney has nurtured and encouraged - yet people deny it... that Disney has encouraged the rushed, commando mindset.

Everyone is in a freaking hurry... 'time is too valuable' to waste here, etc... and this is coming from people who visit the parks multiple times.. or even frequently.

You're in a rush to get this attraction OVER so you can jump to the next.. and then be in a hurry for THAT to be over too.

Epcot was never meant to be that kind of park. There was always supposed to be an element of learning and discovery presented in an entertaining way. Education takes time and some effort upon the part of the viewer. Epcot was never meant to be a Six Flags" quick thrill" type of park.

Nowadays, of course, people are starting to expect the opposite, even in their learning. Want a college degree? No problem! Go to this website, input your credit card info, listen to a robot lecture while you watch some powerpoint slides, take the online exam and ... presto! Knowledge is yours.

flyerjab

Epcot was never meant to be that kind of park. There was always supposed to be an element of learning and discovery presented in an entertaining way. Education takes time and some effort upon the part of the viewer. Epcot was never meant to be a Six Flags" quick thrill" type of park.

Nowadays, of course, people are starting to expect the opposite, even in their learning. Want a college degree? No problem! Go to this website, input your credit card info, listen to a robot lecture while you watch some powerpoint slides, take the online exam and ... presto! Knowledge is yours.

Galadriel: (speaking partly in Elvish)

I amar prestar aen.
The world is changed.
Han matho ne nen.
I feel it in the water.
Han mathon ned cae.
I feel it in the earth.
A han noston ned gwilith.
I smell it in the air.

Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

Wise words taken from a most desirable yet unobtainable IP. I'm just hoping that last line never comes true.

I have found it to be true with most things. I remember being a kid and our milk was delivered by a milkman. Once a week the local bakery truck would stop at each house in the neighborhood. That type of service stopped long ago.

I also remember our local mall used to have this huge fountain at the center hub, and up and down both lengths at Christmas time Santa's North Pole Village was set up. There were animatronic elves, reindeer, etc. everywhere with a huge chair that Santa sat on. And now? All the money spent on cool decorations was saved by erecting cheap kiosks to collect more rent. The Christmas Village scenery is a thing of the past and now, where the fountain USED to be, is a covered over floor where at Christmas, a cheap wooden wall is set up with an all-too fake fireplace. And Santa has set hours with multiple breaks.

When I look back on how things used to be, it seems as though quality either did not cost very much, or the people cared too much to squander it.

rnese

I've never understood this philosophy. Do these people not enjoy theme parks and just want it to be over? You know the quickest way to get your attractions over with is not to go in the first place...

If 45 minutes is too long for an epic attraction, how do these people ever manage to sit through a movie (2+ hours)? Or a concert or sporting event?
Eh...I just read your post as quickly as possible so I could move on to the next one! ;)

Goofyernmost

Anyone see the recurring theme here?

It's the mindset that Disney has nurtured and encouraged - yet people deny it... that Disney has encouraged the rushed, commando mindset.

Everyone is in a freaking hurry... 'time is too valuable' to waste here, etc... and this is coming from people who visit the parks multiple times.. or even frequently.

You're in a rush to get this attraction OVER so you can jump to the next.. and then be in a hurry for THAT to be over too.
I agree and disagree. I have stated that I do not want to stand inordinate amount of time in line to see an attraction. How long it lasts is only important if it is a terrible attraction. My rush is only because I want to enjoy the show, not just wait for it. I agree that what you are saying is the current mindset of guests. Rush like mad, run up an impressive number of attractions for one visit and that is the sole goal of visiting. The quality of the show is unimportant as long as there is a short wait and, I'm guessing an equally short show so the poor babies don't get bored and perhaps threaten their intended quantities of total attractions.
I've never understood this philosophy. Do these people not enjoy theme parks and just want it to be over? You know the quickest way to get your attractions over with is not to go in the first place...

If 45 minutes is too long for an epic attraction, how do these people ever manage to sit through a movie (2+ hours)? Or a concert or sporting event?
That would be our life styles that tell us that we have to rush, rush, rush to get to everything as quickly as possible. Run to get FP, run to get back to the attraction to meet their window time, or spend a few vented moments yelling at a CM about how busy they are and how they couldn't get back in time, so just let them in. It is a world full of Type A personalities. I don't mind a wait that is reasonable or that I feel is progressing at a reasonable pace. The introduction of FP stopped all that and it became a race to see how fast you could get one, how fast you could walk up through the queue and how fast you could get the next one. It became a contest and no longer a leisure vacation form of entertainment. It created competition, hostility, in some cases, and a general feeling that if you didn't hit 5 attractions in an hour you were a loser. For me, that is when the Disney magic faded. It didn't die, but it was never the same.

JimboJones123

You don't know about nonlocal consciousness?

It's our collective brain power. It's not really conveyed in this way in the attraction, but it's not as simple as "running out"; if oil becomes so expensive to extract that gas is $10 per gallon, it would have serious effects and it might be nice to have a little forward thinking brain power in such an instance.

You mean the unending stream of power that won't exist post nuclear holocaust?

Cosmic Commando

You mean the unending stream of power that won't exist post nuclear holocaust?
Why don't you use your brain power to figure out how to clean up nuclear fallout if you're so concerned about a nuclear holocaust? BTW, there have already been over 2,000 nuclear bomb test detonations... planet keeps chugging along.

JimboJones123

Why don't you use your brain power to figure out how to clean up nuclear fallout if you're so concerned about a nuclear holocaust? BTW, there have already been over 2,000 nuclear bomb test detonations... planet keeps chugging along.

This is going to get political really quick. Thanks for the yack backing.

alphac2005

Just like instead of delving into deep and complex issues, we instead deal with 5, 10, or 30 second sound bites in the States. It's all part of the same stupidity that has engulfed this country. Learning and knowledge take time. Epcot is symptomatic of the "dummification" that continues full speed ahead.

Beholder

Current topic may be slightly off topic, but I agree 100% that the "culture" we have now is predicated on the notion of maximizing our time. Not necessarily a bad thing, but as far as I'm concerned, a vacation is better at a more reasonable pace. It's one of the reasons I enjoy AK so much, it tends to force one into a more leisurely pace. Not everyone's cup of tea, but EPCOT is, in my eyes, better when "taking it all in". I hate feeling like I have to rush, or that I have to be at a certain place at a certain time. This is primarily why I don't use FP that often. The detail and quality of the detail that is (was) such a big part of the Disney experience is one of things I enjoy most. The McCall mural is something I'd get lost in, time would slip away as I stare at it. Not everybody's thing, I understand, but for me, taking in the details makes me happy.

Figments Friend

Ugh, did Figment just bonk bizarro Figment in the head with that shovel? The juxtaposition of this photo has me concerned.

Heh heh...no, no 'shovel violence' here...but looking at it again after reading your comment i see what you mean.
It does indeed look like he knocked his 'twin' over the head with his shovel and is now laughing at him passed out on the shelf!

Oh Figment....i know you are frustrated at having to play a brat in the role you are cast in now, but please, no violent behavior backstage.

;)

The 'Figment' figures shown here in that storage warehouse are from the Original ride.

The full-bodied figure used to be dressed in a rainbow apron, shoveling flowers into a 'pigment making machine' in the Dreamport segment of the attraction.
The smaller seated figures are from elsewhere in the ride used in a couple of various scenes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom