Two Spirited Quickees...Imagination closing

wdwfan22

You weren't impressed when a movie theatre turned into the ride itself?

You weren't impressed with the massive Dino sequence?

You weren't impressed with the full surround theaters?

You weren't impressed with the sets that transformed right before your eyes?

You weren't impressed with this massive trapezoid building?

Ok... Some people just got hung up on its length. Me... The first time those theater seats started moving... That was Disney magic
It doesn't really matter what the theaters do when the presentation is to long and boring. The original universe of energy was always an attraction my family skipped after seeing it once.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It doesn't really matter what the theaters do when the presentation is to long and boring. The original universe of energy was always an attraction my family skipped after seeing it once.

Do people really have this hard of a time with the definition of 'impressive'?

- Making a strong or vivid impression; striking or remarkable
- capable of impressing, esp by size, magnificence, etc.; awe-inspiring; commanding
- arousing admiration or respect

asianway

Do people really have this hard of a time with the definition of 'impressive'?

- Making a strong or vivid impression; striking or remarkable
- capable of impressing, esp by size, magnificence, etc.; awe-inspiring; commanding
- arousing admiration or respect
Some of us are incapable of anything but lauding crap-tastic recent attractions - dont argue.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
45 minutes for any attraction is just too long IMHO. It is the reason I haven't done Energy in years. In my opinion, it is the Epcot attraction most in need of an update(specifically to cut its ridiculous running time down).
And that's why Soarin is so short.

Despite the 60 minute wait.

doctornick

And that's why Soarin is so short.

Despite the 60 minute wait.

To be fair, though, there's a happy medium. A 20-25 minute experience is a pretty substantial payoff for a long wait without being "so long" that you feel you might be missing out on other things.

I enjoy UoE but don't love it so, depending on what our schedule is like when we are in Epcot, we sometimes skip it due to the time committment. 45 minutes is a big chunk of a park day to commit to a single experience.

Seabasealpha1

I dunno...I like Universe of Energy...more for the dino section (I like to think of it as a glimmer of the old epcot that hasn't been too tampered with...though it has!) than anything else...but I always question why the building and ride seem so underdone... I can totally do 45 minutes...but it's a good sized space...couldn't they do a little better than that? It still caters heavily to "Big Oil" when we've got so much going on now-a-days with energy...

Just me two cents ladies and gents...

The Empress Lilly

Energy blurs the line between ride and show. In effect, it is a moving theatre. It is not so much an overly long ride as a show that's kept interesting by the theater constantly moving. Nemo at DAK is forty minutes too, that is as much Energy's kin as rides like WoM and Imagination are.

Adding in the time spend in postshows, the entire pavilion experience from entry to exit, all classic EPCOT FW pavilions minus Horizons and SSE took me more time than Energy. (Disregarding the Energy Exchange over at CC). Peculiarly, Energy was more of a quicky.

Bairstow

Adding in the time spend in postshows, the entire pavilion experience from entry to exit, all classic EPCOT FW pavilions minus Horizons and SSE took me more time than Energy. (Disregarding the Energy Exchange over at CC). Peculiarly, Energy was more of a quicky.

But it was/is the longest when you consider the minimum amount of time one must spend to experience the core attraction.
All of those postshows and side activities were optional. Unless you want to cause a disturbance and E-stop the show, Energy is not.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Anyone see the recurring theme here?

It's the mindset that Disney has nurtured and encouraged - yet people deny it... that Disney has encouraged the rushed, commando mindset.

Everyone is in a freaking hurry... 'time is too valuable' to waste here, etc... and this is coming from people who visit the parks multiple times.. or even frequently.

You're in a rush to get this attraction OVER so you can jump to the next.. and then be in a hurry for THAT to be over too.

ABQ

It's the mindset that Disney has nurtured and encouraged - yet people deny it... that Disney has encouraged the rushed, commando mindset.

Everyone is in a freaking hurry... 'time is too valuable' to waste here, etc... and this is coming from people who visit the parks multiple times.. or even frequently.

You're in a rush to get this attraction OVER so you can jump to the next.. and then be in a hurry for THAT to be over too.
I think that's been going on for years, ever since Birnbaum started publishing official guides. Books like that were designed to maximize your time in the pre fast pass days which resulted in rushing to this place in the morning, that place midday and the other place in the evening.

Bairstow

How exactly has Disney encouraged this?

CDavid

I've never understood this philosophy. Do these people not enjoy theme parks and just want it to be over? You know the quickest way to get your attractions over with is not to go in the first place...

If 45 minutes is too long for an epic attraction, how do these people ever manage to sit through a movie (2+ hours)? Or a concert or sporting event?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I've never understood this philosophy. Do these people not enjoy theme parks and just want it to be over? You know the quickest way to get your attractions over with is not to go in the first place...

It's a mindset of 'we must do A, B, and C' and the act of 'doing it' is more valued then actually enjoying it or experiencing it. It's something people can be conditioned into without them even quite recognizing it.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's a mindset of 'we must do A, B, and C' and the act of 'doing it' is more valued then actually enjoying it or experiencing it. It's something people can be conditioned into without them even quite recognizing it.

Well put, People seem to value doing 'All' the Rides more than finding the ones they enjoy and doing those, I've always been of the mindset if kidlet wanted to do Dumbo 10 times - then we do Dumbo 10 times and kidlet will always remember the 'Dumbo' day that's what makes it MAGIC.

71jason

Agreed 100%--look at the metric of rides ridden being the primary measure of guest satisfaction. Guests who ride 8 rides are assumed to be happy, even if the animatronics on 4 of them didn't work and 7 of the 8 were filthy.

How much of this do you think is a result of WDW price inflation tho? In the last 25 years, WDW went from a family vacation on the high side of average to the cost of a new car for a week. When the meter is ticking at $10 a waking minute, I think it encourages the commando style (and skipping the small things for the headliner attractions).

flynnibus

Premium Member
How much of this do you think is a result of WDW price inflation tho? In the last 25 years, WDW went from a family vacation on the high side of average to the cost of a new car for a week. When the meter is ticking at $10 a waking minute, I think it encourages the commando style (and skipping the small things for the headliner attractions).

It's a factor of course - people wanting to get their money's worth. But part of that is because of the way Disney structures their tickets... trying to encourage a continuous stay and such heavy front-loaded prices.

But how does the guest compute value? That's the portion that has been distorted and manipulated. Disney has driven the 'gotta see it all' mentality as a way of trying to encourage longer stays. But the consequence is people can't stay longer and longer, so instead they try to rush more into a set time. The picture Disney has painted as what the resort is, and what the 'ideal vacation' includes influences people in ways that most people are oblivious to. With repetition and exposure from all sides, people just take for granted this is 'right' and how things are supposed to be.

Just think of how many times you've heard a conversation like this:

Joe: "how was your trip? was wdw fun?"
Jill: "sure it was great, but we didn't get to see it all..."

The letdown or disappointment in not doing ENOUGH. That's the kind of 'gotta get them all' behavior Disney has been encouraging and people are soaking up without even realizing it.

Now.. people can't possibly risk 'wasting' a day doing something like canoeing or sitting by a campfire... we can't waste that time when we have rides we haven't seen yet in the park!#!#

People forget just how different visiting patterns while at WDW have become vs other vacation destinations.. or even WDW of the 1 and 2 park era. And it's not all good.

Cosmic Commando

The "Brain Power" conclusion confuses me to no end. Because, as far as I can figure out, there is no brain power after death. I have a feeling that every single person that sees the show will be far dead before any of the resources mentioned run out.

UoE could be the most important pavilion at Epcot. It is not. It is the least.
You don't know about nonlocal consciousness?

It's our collective brain power. It's not really conveyed in this way in the attraction, but it's not as simple as "running out"; if oil becomes so expensive to extract that gas is $10 per gallon, it would have serious effects and it might be nice to have a little forward thinking brain power in such an instance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom