Two Spirited Quickees...Imagination closing

FigmentsFangirl

@space42-- I agree, but clearly TPTB don't agree. Plus this might mean a little creative control over the space, as @doctornick has mentioned-- I would want to see some specific parameters, including the direction of Tony B, a renewed JII ride (not the original, but something in the spirit of the original), the return of Image Works, and something new and interesting in the Magic Eye Theater space (personally I'd love to see creative-boundary-pushing live acts in there, but YMMV).

Journey Into Imagination: Presented By [our names here] ;)
Totally for this!

PhotoDave219

I understand the idea that it is a slipperly slope. But I'd support a Kickstarter campaign if it was tied to "allowing Tony Baxter to bring back the magic of the original Journey into Imagination". In other words, he would have to be the creative lead or else the money cannot be used.

Do you really expect a kick starter to matter to a $12 Billion+ corporation?

FigmentsFangirl

So here we are, the second week of December, and no new news on the possible closing of Figgy's ride.

Slightly off topic but it is how I feel, honestly, I was worried of what they were going to remake Test Track into. But when I saw the previs and the previews and the artwork, I got excited. I love the new version over the old one mostly because it is just so much more... --realistic is not the word I am going for, modernised isn't either. I think I'll just go with new-- It has more stuff to see inside the ride portion, nothing has really changed aside from the props, storyline, {was there a storyline for Test Track ?} The track is the same, nothing different there. New voices, etc.

But Imagination changes all the time when we think as people. Visiting JIIWF is one of my own ways of actually SEEING my imagination actually having fun for once. And honestly, shuttering such a ride is like a world without bookstores {Seriously, had tried to find a Barnes and Noble while in Orlando one week, settled for a Books a Million after a day of searching.} Every time I visit and ride JIIWF I enjoy it, its timeless, its our imaginations getting a chance to party.

Another thing that confuses me. If TPTB are planning to close a ride, why add it to the FP+ system ?? Isn't that just a little bit pointless ? "We're gonna shut down this ride in the new year, add it to the FP+!"

So, with that said. Do we have any news on the next few weeks ? Last I knew, three more weeks left of 2013, and no news of any closures or shutterings of rides. So at this rate, I think this is just a rumor now.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So here we are, the second week of December, and no new news on the possible closing of Figgy's ride.

Slightly off topic but it is how I feel, honestly, I was worried of what they were going to remake Test Track into. But when I saw the previs and the previews and the artwork, I got excited. I love the new version over the old one mostly because it is just so much more... --realistic is not the word I am going for, modernised isn't either. I think I'll just go with new-- It has more stuff to see inside the ride portion, nothing has really changed aside from the props, storyline, {was there a storyline for Test Track ?} The track is the same, nothing different there. New voices, etc.

But Imagination changes all the time when we think as people. Visiting JIIWF is one of my own ways of actually SEEING my imagination actually having fun for once. And honestly, shuttering such a ride is like a world without bookstores {Seriously, had tried to find a Barnes and Noble while in Orlando one week, settled for a Books a Million after a day of searching.} Every time I visit and ride JIIWF I enjoy it, its timeless, its our imaginations getting a chance to party.

Another thing that confuses me. If TPTB are planning to close a ride, why add it to the FP+ system ?? Isn't that just a little bit pointless ? "We're gonna shut down this ride in the new year, add it to the FP+!"

So, with that said. Do we have any news on the next few weeks ? Last I knew, three more weeks left of 2013, and no news of any closures or shutterings of rides. So at this rate, I think this is just a rumor now.

WDW1974 said recently that Imagination would eventually close, but it now would not happen at the start of the year as originally rumored.

Rodan75

I said my goodbyes to the Imagination Pavillion last week when I was there. The park was packed and Imagination was empty with at least 7-8 cast members standing idle. From purely a business perspective, it should close and those resources used elsewhere.

The Pavillion experience has been destroyed, my hope is that it will be replaced by something better...maybe the muppet imagination Pavillion will come true.

And put me squarely in the camp favoring a Frozen Norway overlay. I know it isn't accurate, but it is family friendly and an update to a ride I always enjoy.

Clever Name

I said my goodbyes to the Imagination Pavillion last week when I was there. The park was packed and Imagination was empty with at least 7-8 cast members standing idle. From purely a business perspective, it should close and those resources used elsewhere.
Indeed, the same was true for Horizons and WoM prior to their respective shutdowns. The Imagination Pavilion in its original incarnation of "Journey Into Imagination" suffered the same fate as the guests grew tired of the entire Dreamfinder and Figment routine after about a dozen years. Like many other attractions it was just unable to stand the test of time. During the last three or four years most guests avoided that pavilion. I felt sorry for the CM's that worked there because they always looked so bored during those last few years.

Let's hope the next design team can come up with an idea that doesn't go stale so quickly.

FigmentJedi

Indeed, the same was true for Horizons and WoM prior to their respective shutdowns. The Imagination Pavilion in its original incarnation of "Journey Into Imagination" suffered the same fate as the guests grew tired of the entire Dreamfinder and Figment routine after about a dozen years. Like many other attractions it was just unable to stand the test of time. During the last three or four years most guests avoided that pavilion. I felt sorry for the CM's that worked there because they always looked so bored during those last few years.

Let's hope the next design team can come up with an idea that doesn't go stale so quickly.

No, when they put in Honey I Shrunk the Audience, they reworked the exterior flow of the pavilion in such a fashion that they drew people to the Magic Eye only and kept them from going to the ride and ImageWorks. This was never resolved when they replaced the ride so not only is the ride mediocre, but the pavilion is laid out so they don't realize there's even a ride back there.

MerlinTheGoat

There was a recent topic that pretty much debunked any notion that the original Future World even in its later years didn't attract crowds and lines. With both video and even comments from Martin as evidence. The lie that the attractions were like Imagination 3.0 crowd wise just needs to stop. Not that it will, especially from the resident crackpot who thinks it's a good idea to replace every attraction's music with hip hop...

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/look-how-crowded-future-world-used-to-be.875245/

Imagination 3.0 gets no lines because it sucks (it always has, almost no one has ever enjoyed the ride even from the moment version 2 opened). Imagination 1.0 on the other hand was confirmed by insiders here that in its later years its attendance was deliberately manipulated negatively by management so they'd have a statistical reason to present to executives in order to secure its demolition (they didn't want to pay to maintain it along with the other major E Tickets in Future World they also demolished). They strategically directed attention away from the ride and manipulated guests into thinking there wasn't a ride there at all. It was beloved by all and would not have suffered the attendance decline had Disney encouraged people to ride it and properly directed people towards it.

BobConnor

So it is still on the chopping block ? This news sucks.

So why is it on the FP+ system then if they are going to close it ?

Actually, could that be a good sign? Maybe Disney wants to get the fastpass equipment installed and have it working before a new attraction is installed so that it will work right away when the new attraction opens.

BobConnor

I never went on the original ride but from what I can tell from the you tube videos, I think it would have been possible to update the Science and Performing Arts parts of the ride. Actually, I think just since I have been to Epcot most of the rides will need updates. What happens to Mission Space when people actually get to Mars? Actually, I think the preshow video of MS needs an updated replacement. Shouldn't these kind of updates be routine?

I will say though, when I was at Epcot I did ride Figment twice because Figment cheers me up but not much of anything else in the building.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
There are plans. Lots of them. TDO won't implement them without sponsorship.

As it stands, last I heard, V3 should continue to be available well into next year.
Not a jab at you Marni, but I am so sick of this argument!
Sponsorship be damned.

I am the sponsor! Me and every other paying guest who walks through those turnstiles!

Enough already with the sponsorship B.S.

I never pull the Uni card (seeing as how I haven't even been since HP opened), but does every ride, every attraction, every pavilion at USO or IoA have/need a sponsor? Hogwash!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom