Two Spirited Quickees...Imagination closing

Bairstow

While the radok screen was neat the presentation was downright boring, and not sure what they could have done with it to make it not so boring. So with that being said I don't think it was a downgrade when they went to a regular screen. Besides the few diehard Epcot fans on here I've yet to meet anymore that found the original Universe of Energy entertaining.

I remember seeing the Universe of Energy as a kid, and while I was certainly impressed by the big screens and overall size of the presentation, I don't remember liking much of it other than the dinosaur segment.
Until I saw a Youtube video of it I had completely forgotten about the radok screen.

...not that Ellen isn't in dire need of updating, but considering it's in EPCOT it can get in line.

Goofyernmost

It was awe inspiring. But if you were someone that came along 10 years later while it hadn't been updated.. you might be less impressed.
I first saw it in 1986 and I can assure you that I was totally unimpressed from my first visit. In fact I was totally turned off by the self righteousness of Exxon. It was even less impressive after 1989 and the Valdez Oil Spill.

Admiral01

Premium Member
Admiral, you might enjoy this article on McCall's works related to this piece here :
http://progresscityusa.com/2011/07/27/the-horizons-story-part-ii-robert-mccall/

:)

Thanks Figment's Friend. I didn't know that he painted his family into the scene. Very cool. This makes me appreciate The Prologue and the Promise even more.

I'm familiar with McCall's work for NASA...which is where I have most of my exposure to it (and living in Washington DC, his work for the Smithsonian Institution). He is an incredible artist.

I can safely say that Robert McCall is my favorite contemporary artist. As an engineer, it always surprises my artistically-oriented friends when I can name an artist...especially one that many of them haven't been exposed to.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I first saw it in 1986 and I can assure you that I was totally unimpressed from my first visit. In fact I was totally turned off by the self righteousness of Exxon. It was even less impressive after 1989 and the Valdez Oil Spill.

You weren't impressed when a movie theatre turned into the ride itself?

You weren't impressed with the massive Dino sequence?

You weren't impressed with the full surround theaters?

You weren't impressed with the sets that transformed right before your eyes?

You weren't impressed with this massive trapezoid building?

Ok... Some people just got hung up on its length. Me... The first time those theater seats started moving... That was Disney magic

Bairstow

Ok... Some people just got hung up on its length. Me... The first time those theater seats started moving... That was Disney magic

@Goofyernmost has a point though.
Of all the original EPCOT pavilions, the corporate hubris on display at Universe of Energy was by far the grandest.
40 minutes of Exxon propaganda is a lot to sit through for 5 minutes of dinosaurs.

magicallactose

I first went on this ride when I was about nine or ten. It stuck with me for years after. It was definitely the surprise of the movie theater transforming into a 'time machine' and taking us back to see dinosaurs that wowed me. But I distinctly remember being incredibly bored during the 'fossil fuels' movie and regretting ever setting foot in the attraction. As the movie dragged on, I kept on asking my parents if we could just leave, since I was anxious to see what other rides were in the park. So in a way, the long, pedantic film made the ride portion all the more awesome for me :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
@Goofyernmost has a point though.
Of all the original EPCOT pavilions, the corporate hubris on display at Universe of Energy was by far the grandest.
40 minutes of Exxon propaganda is a lot to sit through for 5 minutes of dinosaurs.

I didn't ask if liked it or not. I don't like golf - it doesn't mean I can't be impressed by a golfer. But not everyone can make that distinction

flynnibus

Premium Member
I first went on this ride when I was about nine or ten. It stuck with me for years after. It was definitely the surprise of the movie theater transforming into a 'time machine' and taking us back to see dinosaurs that wowed me. But I distinctly remember being incredibly bored during the 'fossil fuels' movie and regretting ever setting foot in the attraction. As the movie dragged on, I kept on asking my parents if we could just leave, since I was anxious to see what other rides were in the park. So in a way, the long, pedantic film made the ride portion all the more awesome for me :)

I didn't like the American adventure really as a kid... Doesn't make it any less impressive. Decades later, I make a point to see it.

sparky03

-

Martin's excellent and informative 'Journey Into Imagination - Ultimate Tribute' video also shows a good example of what the interior of the Pavilion used to look like..including that fantastic mural.
Be sure to check it out... starting at about the 8 minute mark.
He has captured some excellent footage here...even zooming in on the surreal ceiling and getting shots of the entire mural in the loading area.

Seeing the video images of it helps give the mural a sense of scale in relation to the interior of the Pavilion, for those that missed it.
Enjoy!

I had never seen this before. Thanks for posting.

The level of awe I had for this ride in 1983 is impossible to convey on a message board. That video brought some of those feelings back. So glad I got to experience it in its original form and am still gobsmacked that someone thought it was a good idea to scrap such a stunning achievement for such a lame, "unimaginative" replacement.

JimboJones123

I written about this more verbosely somewhere on these boards, but here's my quick rundown of the dated-ness of the current UoE:

1. Alex Trebek's mustache
2. Gigantic cell phone in the preshow
3. Percentage of renewable energy that Bill references has probably gone up
4. Gung ho attitude towards deep sea drilling

The basic ideas of the show: that we're stuck using fossil fuels to some degree for a while, renewable resources are going to play a bigger part in the future, and we need to use our brain power to think our way out of our own "energy nightmare"... sound pretty relevant today. It's like when people complain about the voice recognition oven in CoP; with Siri on iPhones and autocomplete everywhere, has that joke ever been more relevant than it is today? But don't get me started on CoP... :arghh:
The "Brain Power" conclusion confuses me to no end. Because, as far as I can figure out, there is no brain power after death. I have a feeling that every single person that sees the show will be far dead before any of the resources mentioned run out.

UoE could be the most important pavilion at Epcot. It is not. It is the least.

JimboJones123

The level of awe I had for this ride in 1983 is impossible to convey on a message board. That video brought some of those feelings back. So glad I got to experience it in its original form and am still gobsmacked that someone thought it was a good idea to scrap such a stunning achievement for such a lame, "unimaginative" replacement.
And what about science....

PeterAlt

That's not exactly my memory of it. The ride would constantly break down. Often, when we got to the pavilion, a CM would tell us to come back in a couple of hours or so because the ride wasn't operating. So, when they did finally let people on it, the wait was very long. The line was both inside and out. It was during the outside of the line, the wait was mere hell, especially on a hot and sticky Florida day. Getting to the inside portion of the line was such a relief, with the AC and nice shade!

Now, the ride itself was great, but we would always break down at least twice each time. When the ride broke down, there would be at least a twenty minute wait each time. These waits detracted from the overall enjoyment of the ride because you had to listen to a looping sound track for whatever part of the ride you were stuck at.

Then, during the later years, before they closed it, props and sets were falling apart. I specifically remember the all-white room with broken sets. Peices of set were literally hanging in place and dangling in obvious ways it wasn't supposed to.

I can see why they closed it, if problems like these were normal, rather than the exception. Let me stress that these problems were persistent EVERY time, EVERY year we went. If they figured out how to rebuild the ride using newer technology that won't break down so much and presents the same exact show, this would be the ideal way they can fix it and bring it back. I have a sneaky suspicion that this kind of fate is seriously being considered, or has been decided. Fingers crossed!

Goofyernmost

Sure, I thought that was cool and certainly different.
Yup, that was cool as well.
Not particularly, no!
My memory must be a little lacking. Specifically what are you referring too?
Not after just being in a complete geodesic sphere that was right next door. Who can't build a massive trapezoid building?
I never said anything about length. In fact, I still ride it today. The amount of time was never an issue. The content was indeed an issue with me. 45 minutes of edutainment I am quite good with. 45 minute commercials, not so much. Also remember I was 38 years old when I first rode it. That might have changed my perspective a little.

SJN1279

Sure, I thought that was cool and certainly different.

I never said anything about length. In fact, I still ride it today. The amount of time was never an issue. The content was indeed an issue with me. 45 minutes of edutainment I am quite good with. 45 minute commercials, not so much. Also remember I was 38 years old when I first rode it. That might have changed my perspective a little.

45 minutes for any attraction is just too long IMHO. It is the reason I haven't done Energy in years. In my opinion, it is the Epcot attraction most in need of an update(specifically to cut its ridiculous running time down).

Goofyernmost

45 minutes for any attraction is just too long IMHO. It is the reason I haven't done Energy in years. In my opinion, it is the Epcot attraction most in need of an update(specifically to cut its ridiculous running time down).
Are you one of the people that complained that the rides were too long so that Disney could justify making them shorter? 45 minutes is too long only if it is boring. I am always amazed now how quickly that time goes. Before the change... Yawnnnnn!

You must have been on the same list of consumers that a well known cereal company supposedly used to justify putting fewer corn flakes in the boxes. Customers complained that they were getting to much for their money. Yup, that happened. :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom