Two coasts: One very different world

Clever Name

I hear that Disney on the west coast is vastly different than Disney on the east coast.
Any truth to that?
Indeed, Disney generally experiemnts and tests things on the west coast. Once they're satisfied that they've got a worthwhile product, they bring it to the east coast for consumer use. It's kind of like how drugs are made. They test them on animals first before they allow them to be used on humans.

Tom

Beta Return
Indeed, Disney generally experiemnts and tests things on the west coast. Once they're satisfied that they've got a worthwhile product, they bring it to the east coast for consumer use. It's kind of like how drugs are made. They test them on animals first before they allow them to be used on humans.

Good analogy. Californians are the lab rats and the rest of us are the general public. If a ride breaks and kills a few people in California, so what? They'll adjust a few things and keep testing until no Californians get hurt, then they bring it out east for all the good people to ride it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
It really is. And the delivery is what truly makes it funny. It's not slapstick. It's not a series of one-liners (which I hate). It's conversational.

Phil is my favorite character. Sadly, he hits a little too close to home for me..... :lookaround:

And the thing is that Ty Burrell is sorta like that in real life, just a bit less of a doofus ... just a great cast. And Eric Stonestreet (and his Dad) are really good peeps.:):cool:

WDW1974

Original Poster
At the risk of veering very far off topic, Walking Dead is many things. "Well-written" is not one of them. I will give it credit for aspiring to be well-written. But the execution falls far, far short more often than not.

I could go on and on about the shortcomings of TWD, but I won't do it here (unless prompted to do so). I'll just say that if you like the show, you should really read the comic. It is infinitely superior to the TV show. Especially season 2. Season 2 was troubled behind the scenes and it definitely showed in the final product.

I disagree. Thought it was very well written despite Frank's weird dismissal as show runner. Many people in the business actually thought the show had a chance (I didn't because it's a freaking genre show about zombies!) to get a best drama nod. ... And I've never picked up the comic. But I know many people who can't stand the Harry Potter films, yet love the books. ... But I know what I like.

Longhairbear

Good analogy. Californians are the lab rats and the rest of us are the general public. If a ride breaks and kills a few people in California, so what? They'll adjust a few things and keep testing until no Californians get hurt, then they bring it out east for all the good people to ride it.
Um, I live in California....

EPCOTCenterLover

I love Disney World and have visited there well over ten times and I have been to Paris twice. I can tell you that while Disneyland is smaller, the upkeep is better, and the attractions are generally better maintained. A definitely different feel than Orlando. Different, much, much smaller and no lakes etc, but still worth seeing it you haven't before.

lebeau

I disagree. Thought it was very well written despite Frank's weird dismissal as show runner. Many people in the business actually thought the show had a chance (I didn't because it's a freaking genre show about zombies!) to get a best drama nod. ... And I've never picked up the comic. But I know many people who can't stand the Harry Potter films, yet love the books. ... But I know what I like.

I enjoy watching Walking Dead. But season 2 was a mess. I catalogued many of the season's problems in my blog when season 2 aired and I don't have the strength to relive its many, many flaws. So I'll just quote my season 2 wrap-up.

Here is just one of many examples of the kind of nonsense that dominated season 2 of The Walking Dead:

They just spent last episode fortifying the farmhouse. Then they decided to abandon it without a fight. Okay, maybe it wouldn’t have held up. But then why drive around the farm blasting random zombies before taking off into the sunset? All the accomplished was wasting valuable resources like fuel and ammo. And maybe attracting more zombies from the woods to the farm.

No surprise the dummies ran out of gas before reaching a destination – any destination. And before they got in their vehicles, don’t you think someone would have been smart enough to establish a meeting spot. If we split up a group at the Magic Kingdom, we pick a spot to regroup. And that’s rarely a matter of life or death. I would think when one is facing the zombie apocalypse one should have a level of preparation at least on par with the average theme park vacationer.

Wow. I even sort of tied it in to WDW when I wrote that back in May.

I do have some hope that they learned from their mistakes. And that with a single vision from the outset, they can right the ship in season 3.

MAF

I can't wait until school is back in session....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom