Two coasts: One very different world

SPMTCP2003

As for the thread topic: um...yes. With all my heart, I "get" it. And I've never even been to DL.

WDW as a whole is larger in terms of space. If you do a ride/attraction/show count for each I think DL has a few more in 2 parks than WDW has in 4. Granted, the luxury of space affords WDW things like water parks, mini-golf, etc. But that's it. Non-fans aren't going to go to DL & WDW and see the details the way fans do. They're not going to pick up on the little things or understand the history. WDW is bigger. The average Joe sees the difference in size and that overshadows everything else. Again, I've never even been to DL. I grew up knowing WDW. To go and spend a week at WDW is a piece of cake. There's so many options you don't have a prayer of doing everything. DL has the 2 parks + DtDD. If you're looking for quality of show and Disney-geek-level detail-filled awesome-sauce, it's my understanding from all the reading & pics that DL is spanking WDW by a large margin. Maybe that's unavoidable to some point with the sheer difference in numbers of visitors to each. I'm not sure. But I'm a Disney fan. I geek out on stuff the average visitor doesn't ever notice. At this point, I have no desire to return to WDW for at least the next 18-24 months. The new offerings at WDW (FLE and maybe-it-will-happen Avatarland) mean very little to me. DL? I'd go out there in a heartbeat! The rework of DCA looks incredible. The Carsland addition is much broader in appeal & I'm actually interested in seeing it for myself. Maybe if I had a daughter the FLE would sway me a little towards the additions/expansion there but for the most part I'm flippant to it. I'll see it eventually but I'm not really excited at all by it.

This really intrigued me and so of course I had to find out if this is true! :D (I certainly didn't scan through all 64 pages of this thread, so apologies if someone else already posted about this)

I have to be honest and say that when I first read the comment about there possibly being a higher attraction count in CA than in FL, I thought there's no way! It turns out the number is a lot closer than I would have guessed.

Between the MK, Epcot, DHS, and AK there are a total of 120 attractions (including rides, shows, and parades)
Between DL and DCA there are a total of 91 attractions!

To put it in perspective though, Disneyland has 55 attractions alone, compared to the Magic Kingdom's 37. 55 attractions jam-packed into one park is exactly the reason why I feel so crowded when I visit DL now after being spoiled by the shear size of WDW. Please don't get me wrong, I grew up with DL being my playground and I truly adore it, but given the choice now, I will take the elbow room!

Breakdown
MK: 37
Epcot: 41
DHS: 19
AK:23
DL:55
DCA:36

TP2000

DHS: 19 Yikes!

DHS is very, very weak. It has a small handful of good, solid E Tickets, and then it goes downhill quickly from there. And to get to the "19" number you have to count minor stuff like the 23 year old Honey I Shrunk The Kids playground, and Fantasmic!, which is really a scheduled nighttime spectacular instead of an "attraction".

Star Tours
Rockin' Roller Coaster
Tower of Terror
Great Movie Ride
Midway Mania
Backlot Tour
American Idol
Indy Jones Stunt Show
Sounds Dangerous
MuppetVision
Lights, Motors, Action Stunt Show
One Man's Dream
Voyage Of The Little Mermaid
Hone I Shrunk The Kids Playground
Magic of Disney Animation
Playhouse Disney
The Legend of Jack Sparrow
Beauty & The Beast On Stage
Fantasmic!

Even the "23" figure at DAK is dramatically over-estimated, counting the train to Rafiki's Planet Watch as four (4) separate attractions because there are three rather minor exhibits at the end of that train line. You also have to count the extra-cost carnival games in Dinoland as an "attraction" to get to 23, etc. I think the average person would consider DAK to have about 15 legit "attractions", and even then you are counting some walking trails and scheduled stage shows in there to get to even that modest number.

Similarly, the 41 number for Epcot is way overblown. The official Disney guidemap only comes up with 26 attractions, and even there you are counting every World Showcase pavilion as an attraction even if it's just Italy or the UK with a nice plaza and some restaurants. And the dying ImageWorks in Imagination counts as a separate "attraction" in that tally to get to 26. Unless you went through and said every single little exhibit in Innoventions was an attraction, and RoE counted as an "attraction" instead of just scheduled entertainment, and the Government Motors post-show commercial at Test Track was a separate attraction, the Norway Travel Bureau movie after Maelstrom was another attraction, etc., etc.

The same is true for Disneyland and DCA; you just can't count Fantasmic! or World of Color as an "attraction", nor can you include the Boudin Bakery Tour as an attraction like you count Pirates of the Caribbean or Radiator Springs Racers.

A more humble and honest way to tally it up for both coasts would be to say that WDW currently has about 75 attractions and Disneyland Resort has about 70 attractions. Disneyland has always been chock full of legit attractions, many stacked on top of each other. But just in the last three years has DCA come out of nowwhere to be one of the best second gates in the Disney Empire with nearly as many attractions as Magic Kingdom Park currently has. The one-two punch of Disneyland and DCA now make Anaheim's Disneyland Resort a true powerhouse of legit rides and attractions, all within a 20 minute walk of each other. :eek:

culturenthrills

Yeah, I will take those 70 attractions at DL and DCA which are right next to each other over the 75 spread out at WDW any day of the week. We waste so much time just getting around WDW. I love the resort aspect of WDW, even though it isn't what it used to be, but when it comes to bang for the buck DL resort blows WDW out of the water right now.

The Empress Lilly

I like how spread out WDW is. Also, not every theme park needs to be 'queue, enter moving veicle, exit, enter next queue'. With four parks, one has the luxury of variation between parks.

In WDW's defense, they may not be counted as attractions, but the animal exhibits in DAK do make that park. As do the countries in WS. FW is supposed to have just a handful of rides. Large, epic rides, combined with many small exhibits. DHS is supposed to rely on large shows, not dark rides, to give it a Hollywood feel.

Still, WDW's parks are underbuild. The MK has less offerings than back when Reagan was still president. EPCOT may have been build as a collection of a 'just a few rides, long, epic ones'. Now it is 'just a few rides, short forgetteable ones at that'.
DHS' problem is not so much a lack of rides, but a lack of non-ride entertainment. The park deliberately relies on shows, but LMA is crap, and Indy and BatB are not infinitely rewatcheable. The Backlot Tour and Animation are shells of their former selfs.
DAK is nowhere near finished period.

Californian Elitist

Coming from a Disneyland perspective, I'm quite positive I'm not going to very fond of how everything is so spread out and having to take transportation, when I finally get to WDW. It wastes a lot of time.

The Empress Lilly

Coming from a Disneyland perspective, I'm quite positive I'm not going to very fond of how everything is so spread out and having to take transportation, when I finally get to WDW. It wastes a lot of time.
A monorail from the MK to EPCOT is not a waste of time. It is heaven. The greatest ride on property.

The problem is that during the Eisner expansion era, WDW was expanded like a suburb - big, sprawling, without any sensible masterplan or regard for public transportation or traffic efficiency. WDW ought to have been developed as a few hubs with fun local transportation, connected to each other with other fun transportation. Instead we got buses everywhere.

I'll never grow tired of a ferry boat on SSL, but can't ride another bus for months after I've been at WDW.

Californian Elitist

A monorail from the MK to EPCOT is not a waste of time. It is heaven. The greatest ride on property.

The problem is that during the Eisner expansion era, WDW was expanded like a suburb - big, sprawling, without any sensible masterplan or regard for public transportation or traffic efficiency. WDW ought to have been developed as a few hubs with fun local transportation, connected to each other with other fun transportation. Instead we got buses everywhere.

I'll never grow tired of a ferry boat on SSL, but can't ride another bus for months after I've been at WDW.

How far away are MK and Epcot away from each other?

The Empress Lilly

How far away are MK and Epcot away from each other?
Four to five miles, as the raven flies. There's one stopover at the TTC. It's nothing but WDW hotels and Florida wilderness! No intrusions from tacky off-property motels and fast food places! It's not a punishment, but a slice of heaven to be able to ride for mile after mile and never leave the Disney bubble!
I'd travel to WDW just to ride the monorail along Seven Seas Lagoon, or through EPCOT.
amour4.gif

There is something fun about walking Adventureland with a ToT fastpass in your pocket. But it also distracts. With two parks right next to each other one easily ends up being neither really there nor here. Hop too much and you will become detached, de-immersed.

Californian Elitist

Four to five miles, as the raven flies. There's one stopover at the TTC. It's nothing but WDW hotels and Florida wilderness! No intrusions from tacky off-property motels and fast food places! It's not a punishment, but a slice of heaven to be able to ride for mile after mile and never leave the Disney bubble!
I'd travel to WDW just to ride the monorail along Seven Seas Lagoon, or through EPCOT.
amour4.gif

There is something fun about walking Adventureland with a ToT fastpass in your pocket. But it also distracts. With two parks right next to each other one easily ends up being neither really there nor here. Hop to much and you will become detached, de-immersed.

See, I don't care about the "outside world", like a lot of other people do, and I don't consider Harbor Blvd tacky. It's what I'm used to, so I don't expect for you to understand, just like I don't see the point of spreading out parks. I don't feel detached at all when I'm in California Adventure, or when I'm in Disneyland. When I'm there, I'm there. I also consider the fast food places (there are only a couple anyway) across the street to be a blessing, especially when you don't have much money to spend on the food inside the resort.

Californian Elitist

I didn't say WDW wasn't awesome and I never said the spreading out of parks will ruin my visit. I'm sure WDW veterans mentally tell themselves they're going to be disappointed in Aurora's castle, before they even visit. It's normal to think that, coming from someone who's used to Cinderella's castle. It's normal for me to have my opinion about the spreading out of the parks at WDW, based on my experience at the Disneyland Resort. Is that one part of the visit going to stop me from visiting? I think not.

CJR

I have to agree with the majority in that WDW has disappointed in terms of both investment and maintenance.

Disneyland isn't known for opening up ride after ride, but they keep up with the park so much better than TDO keeps up with MK. It took a fire for the Tiki Room to receive attention, or Zazu and Iago would probably still be there telling us it's been under new management for nearly a decade and a half. As old as Disneyland is, they work hard to make thinks looking new. The FLE is very welcomed, but it's bound to fall into the realm of poor maintenance as well.

Epcot is my favorite park in the world. However, I have to admit it's in sad shape. Like MK, it's poorly maintained due to the lack of attractions (Like right now, they have to keep Soarin' late during TT's closure to keep up with capacity). People have said it for years, Disney needs to put in some attractions in the world showcase. Not everything needs to be an e-ticket, but they have a chance to do some really unique things with rides and instead we get to look at buildings that look like buildings in other countries. All the e-tickets in future world are so expensive to keep up with that when Disney gets done with one, the others are all tired. I mean SSE and Soarin' are still considered the newest attractions in the park (ignoring the return of the already tired Captain EO) and both need work. After TT opens, they will probably move onto something else and then TT will be worn out by the time they're done. I think Epcot should continue updating the E-tickets, but should toss some smaller low-key rides into the world showcase. Not only will it make the area more fun for kids, but it will bring some life into it.

DHS is probably in the worst state of all of Disney parks worldwide. The last notable attraction was TSM. That was four years ago. The park has increased its ticket price each year since then, but nothing worthwhile has been added to the park. Star Tours was redone, but that was a replacement and didn't plus capacity. I really wish they would make it an actual studio again, building a new complex on the other side of the parking lot and have a new tram tour that takes you into an ACTIVE/WORKING studio. I mean, it's been almost a decade since the studio was actually a studio. That will probably never happen, but they should drop "Studios" from the name if it's not going to be one. How about "Disney Hollywood Adventure"? Drop the Backlot Tour, expand Pixar Place and The Muppets, update Fantasmic, The Great Movie Ride, and Rockin Rollercoaster and we're looking at a decent park. Toss in a few new shows, TLM and BatB have been there forever and the park will really have life in almost every area.

AK is doing OK. I have faith that Avatar will come and I'm excited to see the outcome. It's well overdo and could propel AK to one of Disney's best if done right.

I love WDW and I always will. It's a special place to me, but as the cost continues to rise (well above the average rate of inflation) new experiences and life will be what brings me back. My family actually visited Universal Orlando for the first time this year because of the lack of new things to do at WDW. They missed Disney, but Spider-man got them talking. They're excited to do Disney again, but having new experiences will make Universal's trip stand out in their memories while Disney's will blur together. It looks like they're trying to step it up and, to be honest, they need to.

Is this a new change? Or did Disneyland Paris never make the switch a few years ago to generic-corporate "Disney Parks" junk on napkins, bags, ephemera, etc.?

Woah been a while since I posted here, go me.

DLP isn't Disney Parks because technically, it isn't run by Disney expressly themselves. EuroDisney SCA do the day to day running and planning of the park, which is why it doesn't come under the gaudy US branding (DisneySea and Hong Kong are in the same boat, it's not Disney outright running them too). Besides that, it's taken a LONG time to get Paris to a respectable state, though it still needs a LOT of work, just now they are finally getting the numbers and money to do it. Paris regulars will tell you they don't think much of the 20th items, the best thing out of the 20th was the special super limited book they made with exclusive photos. They did put a LOT more effort into their 20th than I saw for WDW's 40th, though I think DLP made a big deal because it's been such a fight for them to get this far, considering at one point DLP was the butt of everyones jokes.

I think Paris gets a lot of flack due to it's past and the fact it's held in a country where the people are not exactly as warm and cuddly as Americans. Get beyond the "lol black sheep" status the resort had till lately, and you'll find a nicely accessible park with plenty of great design touches and beauty, with it's own little European touches. The mood of some CM's ruin it (I don't think it helps that unlike US parks, DLP can't be as picky about who they hire) as does the Europeans who visit who are a bit more self-centered as it were. But can't fault EuroDisney SCA's passion for the resort. Even if it doesn't always translate into the attractions parks need. Paris fans have to wait another 2 years for a new E-Ticket ride, but hey NEW WORLD OF DISNEY and Earl of Sandwich! (seriously though, considering we have the beautiful Disney Dreams, I ain't even mad)

I see why WDW regulars are mad, the improvements and proper plussing have slowed down in recent years, but if that was to make DCA a respectable park, I think that's acceptable. Considering DCA was a total mess, it really needed a lot of time and work to sort out. I hope DHS is on the list of major improvements too soon, thats another park that REALLY needs more than one new attraction. Plus Avatarland is a stupid-stupid project IMO, maybe somehow Disney will make me care about Cameron's vanity project, but while Potter was a great choice for Universal, I just think Disney made a terribly bad judgement on how much people actually LIKED the world of Pandora.

I can't say WDW is a total write off, it obviously needs some people in WDI or TDO with more passion for the park. There's problems, but they seem bigger than just WDW anyway, short of a major change in the execs - we won't be seeing the change TDO really needs as they continue to play it super-safe. Besides that, I know people who went first time last year, and were as mesmerised by it as I was back in 98. For those finding WDW a bit old hat, now is a great time to see what else Orlando has to offer, or visit another Disney Park. I don't think that has to be to spite WDW, Disney have ensured every Disney Park has something special to offer in the very least. Personally I'm glad to hear DCA has finally come into it's own, though I'm still going to WDW in 2013 (hopefully! Been 4 years since I've last been...)

El Grupo

It is all a matter of taste and perspective. My wife grew up going to Disneyland. She later worked at Disney Burbank for over 12 years, which provided us the opportunity to frequent DL and, eventually, CA. She will always have a special place in her heart for that resort.

However, she fell in love with WDW due to the space (room to roam) and Epcot.

BryceM

I mean, it's obvious that DHS needs more attractions, but for me, a lot of them have a high number of repeat value that makes me want to do them over and over. (ToT, RnRC, ST, TSMM, BatB, MV) And I disagree with a comment above saying DHS is in the worst state worldwide when Walt Disney Studios, Animal Kingdom and even Epcot seem to be in a worse state than DHS. Though I whole-heartedly agree that some major attention still needs to come to DHS.

As for new names: Disney's Movie Adventure Park sounds catchy. Or they just keep the name, it isn't too bad.

Californian Elitist

It is all a matter of taste and perspective. My wife grew up going to Disneyland. She later worked at Disney Burbank for over 12 years, which provided us the opportunity to frequent DL and, eventually, CA. She will always have a special place in her heart for that resort.

However, she fell in love with WDW due to the space (room to roam) and Epcot.

You're right, it is all about perspective. I like the closeness and the intimacy at DL. Doesn't mean I won't enjoy WDW:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom