Two coasts: One very different world

WDW1974

Original Poster
I love Disney World and have visited there well over ten times and I have been to Paris twice. I can tell you that while Disneyland is smaller, the upkeep is better, and the attractions are generally better maintained. A definitely different feel than Orlando. Different, much, much smaller and no lakes etc, but still worth seeing it you haven't before.

I love the vibe at DL and have since my first visit in 1990 and through my years (2001-08 as a parttime local). It's more relaxed than at WDW. More young people (meaning teens and 20-somethings). Everyone just seems happy and wanting to party and have fun.

At WDW, except during Spring Break and Christmas, it's largely a much more tightly-wound guest makeup and people are always tired and frazzled and, often, quite nasty.

I love parts of WDW, such as EPCOT, DAK, some of the resorts especially WL/FW and DAK Lodge ... but I relax more in Anaheim. And get a higher caliber of theme park product too!

COProgressFan

I love the vibe at DL and have since my first visit in 1990 and through my years (2001-08 as a parttime local). It's more relaxed than at WDW. More young people (meaning teens and 20-somethings). Everyone just seems happy and wanting to party and have fun.

At WDW, except during Spring Break and Christmas, it's largely a much more tightly-wound guest makeup and people are always tired and frazzled and, often, quite nasty.

I love parts of WDW, such as EPCOT, DAK, some of the resorts especially WL/FW and DAK Lodge ... but I relax more in Anaheim. And get a higher caliber of theme park product too!

Yeah, the WDW crowd is always frazzled, sweaty, and cranky, and often miserable mostly because they paid a fortune for their Disney vacation and they are going to see it all and have fun, darn it! Tightly wound is a good description.

Definitely a noticeably different vibe from DL. While some of it may be attributed to an east coast/west coast thing (maybe?) I think a lot has to do with the environment, mindsets, expectations, and policies Disney creates. Things like Dining Plans, over reliance on fastpass, needing to book dining 6 months out, etc.

Californian Elitist

Disneyland guests are often chill because most of the times, they're not vacationing. They're just at the park to relax and have a good time. Secondly, there's really no such thing as a dining plan, where you have to make reservations 6 months in advance and have to make sure you're at the restaurant on time. When DL guests want to eat, they just do it. No need to call in advance, no need to rush. Thirdly, park hopping actually makes sense in California. The two parks are right across from each other and you've got Downtown Disney right there, along with the hotels. All you have to do is walk, no need for a bus, monorail, car or boat. And if TDO is really going to start having guests actually plan which rides they're going to be on at a specific time, then that'll be another reason. Those are my best points.

RSoxNo1

The thing I love the most about the Disneyland resort now is how close everything is to one another. You can walk from Roger Rabbit to California Screamin' in 20 minutes.

TP2000

And guess what? Not one "Disney Parks" logo anywhere. From paper cups to resort soap it was all Disneyland Paris. So refreshing to see. So it is possible.

Is this a new change? Or did Disneyland Paris never make the switch a few years ago to generic-corporate "Disney Parks" junk on napkins, bags, ephemera, etc.?

ParentsOf4

Disneyland guests are often chill because most of the times, they're not vacationing. They're just at the park to relax and have a good time. Secondly, there's really no such thing as a dining plan, where you have to make reservations 6 months in advance and have to make sure you're at the restaurant on time. When DL guests want to eat, they just do it. No need to call in advance, no need to rush. Thirdly, park hopping actually makes sense in California. The two parks are right across from each other and you've got Downtown Disney right there, along with the hotels. All you have to do is walk, no need for a bus, monorail, car or boat. And if TDO is really going to start having guests actually plan which rides they're going to be on at a specific time, then that'll be another reason. Those are my best points.
Sorry, I couldn't help but think of Universal Orlando when I read your post.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just back from DLP. In brief, and indirectly answering the OP, show quality was surprisingly overall great. Not what I expected. Click the new link in my signature for more detail.

And guess what? Not one "Disney Parks" logo anywhere. From paper cups to resort soap it was all Disneyland Paris. So refreshing to see. So it is possible.

Yeah, read your observations and am VERY happy to hear that things seemed much better than on my disappointing visit in May. Will head over to your thread in the next few days as time allows. Glad you had a MAGICal time.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Is this a new change? Or did Disneyland Paris never make the switch a few years ago to generic-corporate "Disney Parks" junk on napkins, bags, ephemera, etc.?

Nope. DLP has had its own stuff as far as I can recall ... never interchangable with the US parks ... same with HKDL and TDR.

One Disney is really only one Disney in the USA.

ParentsOf4

I've never been to Universal Orlando so I don't understand the apology.
To clarify, most of what you wrote applies equally to Universal Orlando (but replace the DTD reference with CityWalk). So changing your post slightly:

Universal Orlando guests are often chill because most of the times, they're not vacationing. They're just at the park to relax and have a good time. Secondly, there's really no such thing as a dining plan, where you have to make reservations 6 months in advance and have to make sure you're at the restaurant on time. When Universal guests want to eat, they just do it. No need to call in advance, no need to rush. Thirdly, park hopping actually makes sense at Universal. The two parks are right across from each other and you've got CityWalk right there, along with the hotels. All you have to do is walk, no need for a bus, monorail, car or boat. And if TDO is really going to start having guests actually plan which rides they're going to be on at a specific time, then that'll be another reason. Those are my best points.

maryszhi

i feel like they did a huge improvement to Disneyland, are doing similar at Disney World. i feel that because Disneyland is much older, they are filling the needs before Disney World. i think once the expansion opens things will get better. its all about focus

lazyboy97o

i feel like they did a huge improvement to Disneyland, are doing similar at Disney World. i feel that because Disneyland is much older, they are filling the needs before Disney World. i think once the expansion opens things will get better. its all about focus
When what expansion opens? The one at Disney California Adventure? or Fantasyland?

Bolna

Not only do they have specific Disneyland Paris materials, they also bring out new shopping bags every year for the current "theme" of the year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom