Two coasts: One very different world

bubbles1812

Love Modern Family myself. It is a phenomenally well crafted show from the writing to the acting to the directing etc.

Love Walking Dead too (coming to UNI's HHN's this fall!), although it is often depressing (because it is so well written and not just a zombie-thon).

I want to see Breaking Bad, but since I wasn't clued into how good it was until midway through Season 2, I'm waiting until it is all over and then buying a set of the whole series.

I like Modern Family a lot and I do watch Once Upon a Time but that's as far as I go with ABC... I know many a person who watches Grey's Anatomy but after having worked in the medical field, all I can to that show is :eek:.

I watch The Office, Community, Parks and Rec, and 30 Rock on NBC, which is part of NBC Universal... I know, I know, I've committed sacrilege yet again! ;)

Love Raising Hope, since you were talking about it earlier. :) I have never seen The Walking Dead or Breaking bad, though I've been told both are very good. Sadly, I only have so much time.

@LOL at your comment about Disney Channel. I can remember the day it was first started and through my lovely childhood years...you know, back when they actually used their characters...Gummi Bears, Duck Tales, Goof Troop, Tail Spin, Chip n Dale, and the list goes on. Disney Channel sucks so so bad compared to what they used to air.

Californian Elitist

@LOL at your comment about Disney Channel. I can remember the day it was first started and through my lovely childhood years...you know, back when they actually used their characters...Gummi Bears, Duck Tales, Goof Troop, Tail Spin, Chip n Dale, and the list goes on. Disney Channel sucks so so bad compared to what they used to air.

I think we can all agree the current Disney Channel is pure trash.

disney fan 13

When I was a kid I enjoyed a few shows but mostly watched Nickelodeon, now I despise it for it's stupid Tween shows.

And as for Transformers, not yet (Plan to stop by USH in December during My D-Land trip) I'm just pretty much just showing my support for it's coming to Florida.

Kuhio

Any Mad Men fans here?

I'm a pretty big fan of Mad Men. I found the last season to be more uneven in terms of episode quality than some of the previous seasons, but the good episodes were very good.

And, apropos of these forums, I enjoyed the Drapers' visit to Disneyland in a previous season. I thought the kids' excitement probably reflected pretty accurately the sentiment toward the park back then, when it was the only Disney park in the world -- and a pretty big deal, even to East Coast kids. (And I liked the little callback to the DL visit this season, when you see one of the kids with a Mickey ear hat in a flashback scene...)

I'm also fond of the design aesthetic from the MM era, so I find the sets, etc. to be a nice added bit of eye candy.

Kuhio

For the most part, the Disney Afternoon shows were of a far higher quality than much of the competing product of the era -- or of today. (In the case of DuckTales, its "ancestry" -- being based largely on Carl Barks's Duck family stories -- didn't hurt either.) And, almost without exception, each had an insanely catchy theme song -- remember the days when all shows actually had complete, musical intros to properly build anticipation for the episode to come?

While I was a... captive audience... a while back, I watched some more recent Disney Channel fare -- mostly the show with the twins who live on the cruise ship. Not my cup of tea. It seemed like nothing so much as a live-action cartoon -- full of broad gestures, goofy expressions, and endless mugging/hamming, punctuated with an unnecessary laugh track. If I want cartoon characters, I'll watch an actual cartoon!

Tom

Beta Return
Modern Family is pure comedy genius!

It really is. And the delivery is what truly makes it funny. It's not slapstick. It's not a series of one-liners (which I hate). It's conversational.

Phil is my favorite character. Sadly, he hits a little too close to home for me..... :lookaround:

DznyRktekt

For the most part, the Disney Afternoon shows were of a far higher quality than much of the competing product of the era -- or of today. (In the case of DuckTales, its "ancestry" -- being based largely on Carl Barks's Duck family stories -- didn't hurt either.) And, almost without exception, each had an insanely catchy theme song -- remember the days when all shows actually had complete, musical intros to properly build anticipation for the episode to come?

While I was a... captive audience... a while back, I watched some more recent Disney Channel fare -- mostly the show with the twins who live on the cruise ship. Not my cup of tea. It seemed like nothing so much as a live-action cartoon -- full of broad gestures, goofy expressions, and endless mugging/hamming, punctuated with an unnecessary laugh track. If I want cartoon characters, I'll watch an actual cartoon!

Exactly! And all live action shows on Disney for the tween age must make all adults look like bumbling idiots.

lebeau

Love Walking Dead too (coming to UNI's HHN's this fall!), although it is often depressing (because it is so well written and not just a zombie-thon).

At the risk of veering very far off topic, Walking Dead is many things. "Well-written" is not one of them. I will give it credit for aspiring to be well-written. But the execution falls far, far short more often than not.

I could go on and on about the shortcomings of TWD, but I won't do it here (unless prompted to do so). I'll just say that if you like the show, you should really read the comic. It is infinitely superior to the TV show. Especially season 2. Season 2 was troubled behind the scenes and it definitely showed in the final product.

disney fan 13

At the risk of veering very far off topic, Walking Dead is many things. "Well-written" is not one of them. I will give it credit for aspiring to be well-written. But the execution falls far, far short more often than not.

I could go on and on about the shortcomings of TWD, but I won't do it here (unless prompted to do so). I'll just say that if you like the show, you should really read the comic. It is infinitely superior to the TV show. Especially season 2. Season 2 was troubled behind the scenes and it definitely showed in the final product.

Are you completely caught up with the comics?

RSoxNo1

It really is. And the delivery is what truly makes it funny. It's not slapstick. It's not a series of one-liners (which I hate). It's conversational.

Phil is my favorite character. Sadly, he hits a little too close to home for me..... :lookaround:
Offensive Line

Cosmic Commando

I want to see Breaking Bad, but since I wasn't clued into how good it was until midway through Season 2, I'm waiting until it is all over and then buying a set of the whole series.
All seasons prior to the current, final one are on streaming Netflix right now. A couple of months at $9/month and you'd be caught up in no time... there's only 46 episodes in the first four seasons. Whatever you do, though, don't let the end of season 4 get spoiled for you!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom