Two coasts: One very different world

El Grupo

Sounds like very exciting times in Anaheim. Should Disney go with the 3rd gate there, an emphasis on Marvel products could be interesting. But, I hope they would choose a broader theme, such as Villains and Heroes, to allow for attractions to be built around a multitude of movies/franchises.

Kiff

Sounds like very exciting times in Anaheim. Should Disney go with the 3rd gate there, an emphasis on Marvel products could be interesting. But, I hope they would choose a broader theme, such as Villains and Heroes, to allow for attractions to be built around a multitude of movies/franchises.
Yes, that would work quite nicely. We shall see.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Realize that I am ONLY talking about rumors, not projects currently underway. But we now have rumors of more DVC at DLR (well, not everyone will be happy about that, but we are as DVC members), a few new major attractions for DL over the next few years, oh and now a possible 3rd gate at DLR. And we have Avatarland at DAK?!?!?! And that is heard to be downsizing from the original plan, and moving at a snail's pace. Does that about sum it up?

Kiff

Realize that I am ONLY talking about rumors, not projects currently underway. But we now have rumors of more DVC at DLR (well, not everyone will be happy about that, but we are as DVC members), a few new major attractions for DL over the next few years, oh and now a possible 3rd gate at DLR. And we have Avatarland at DAK?!?!?! And that is heard to be downsizing from the original plan, and moving at a snail's pace. Does that about sum it up?
Don't worry. We will have plenty of DVC additions at the world to keep us occupied. :rolleyes:

...oh wait I almost forgot about the FL "expansion". So easy to forget about that one.

Lee

Adventurer
Yep. That's about it at the moment.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Well DVC is of course the worst news ever if at WDW, but the best news ever if at DLR.

By the time DLR has a third gate, there will be a lot more underway at WDW than Fantasyland, Avatar and the current batch of DVC openings.

TP2000

Well DVC is of course the worst news ever if at WDW, but the best news ever if at DLR.

I think that's because of the numbers, and what's been happening in the actual theme parks.

WDW has 3,800 DVC villas currently built, with additional DVC wings under construction currently and height test balloons up around property for more.

DLR has 50 (Fifty) DVC villas currently built, with no announced expansion.

I'm not a DVC'er, but if they wanted to build a fourth tower at the Disneyland Hotel with several floors of DVC units in it, it would be fine with me.

misterID

I'd guess the "all thrill ride" approach is speculation. No way would Disney do that, especially with the amount of kids that love Marvel.

Plus, if they do a Marvel land, you'd figure Stark Expo would be a big presence, which would basicaly equate into a mini EPCOT. I can already see a Horizon's like attraction based on the fictional accomplishments, history and future of Stark Industries. :(

Longhairbear

Al Lutz mentions a DVC going in on the west side of DLR's ESPN, that's a tiny space. Unless it's going to use the hotel's parking lot/entry right in front of the hotel. That makes no sense to me at all.

TP2000

Al Lutz mentions a DVC going in on the west side of DLR's ESPN, that's a tiny space. Unless it's going to use the hotel's parking lot/entry right in front of the hotel. That makes no sense to me at all.

There's actually quite a big chunk of land there, north and west of ESPNZone, almost totally unused except for a big landscaping area and a two lane road they haven't used since the fall of 2001 (when that periphery road was shut down after 9/11).

The land in question would be directly at the bottom of this picture, and quite a bit of it out of the shot below the photo. Plenty of room to build a fourth tower parallel to the park directly north of the existing Adventure Tower. And you could dedicate the top floors of it to DVC and get at least another hundred new DVC units in Anaheim, bringing the total to 150 villas. Al Lutz has mentioned it would be the "Tomorrow Tower" and themed to Tomorrowland.

Looking East to Disneyland from Fantasy Tower - Tomorrow Tower site at bottom of picture
544334372_9ba41dca9d_z.jpg

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1398/544334372_9ba41dca9d_z.jpg

And then on the opposite side of the Disneyland Hotel, there's this little chunk of Disney-owned land.

Looking Southwest at Simba & Zazu Parking Lot from Paradise Pier Hotel
1495712_f520.jpg

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/1495712_f520.jpg

That's enough land for several new hotels. I think the long term plan would be to include DVC there as well, but it would also probably see the Paradise Pier Hotel get demolished in the process. First though, they'd have to find replacements for all those thousands of parking spots in that lot! :D

DVC obviously has a future in Anaheim, from the tiny tally of 50 DVC units they have today. They dipped their toe in the water with those 50 units built at the GCH, but I think they're convinced the water is warm now.

Anaheim will never see the thousands and thousands of DVC units that WDW already has, but there's clearly an expanded role for DVC in Anaheim's future. But it is yet another example of what this thread is all about... Two coasts: One very different world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom