Twilight Zone Tower of Terror Summer Nightastic drop profile details - SPOILERS

disnyfan89

I rode this for the first time last night and didn't know about any of the changes before hand. The good: the black outs and new audio effects in the boiler room. The bad: Everything else.

The whole ride came off as very very very cheap to me. It looks like they decided the night before to change the ride and just ran around at a cheep effects store trying to find things they could use to make a new scene. The new projection effect reminded me of the mirror effect in DCA's tower but it came off very tacky. The drop sequence even disappointed me. I just didn't have fun while ridding and will probably avoid it till it's back to normal.

If this is the best WDW can do with overlays then I never want to see us do another overlay again.

I rode this for the first time last night and didn't know about any of the changes before hand. The good: the black outs and new audio effects in the boiler room. The bad: Everything else.

The whole ride came off as very very very cheap to me. It looks like they decided the night before to change the ride and just ran around at a cheep effects store trying to find things they could use to make a new scene. The new projection effect reminded me of the mirror effect in DCA's tower but it came off very tacky. The drop sequence even disappointed me. I just didn't have fun while ridding and will probably avoid it till it's back to normal.

If this is the best WDW can do with overlays then I never want to see us do another overlay again.[/QUOTE] Sadly I have to agree here I dont want to see another overlay attempt in WDW again. Whos idea was it to cover the 5th dimension scene with a star curtain. TDO needs a new staff immediately.

WDITrent

Listen, everyone, I come from Disneyland, where things are done right. They never announced anything huge for Tower of Terror. What they gave us were new (or repurposed) effects, a new drop profile, and a few little things here and there. IMO, the changes were far bigger than things like extended hours for Pixie Hollow at Disneyland last year. Last year at Disneyland we got a new fireworks show, minimal changes to the electrical parade, some new things in Fantasmic! and a Pixie Hollow "Nighttime Enchantment". This year at WDW, you have a new fireworks show, the Main Street Electrical Parade, new games in TSM (correct?) and a new effects and drop profile for Tower of Terror. Small changes that provide enough of an excuse to visit the parks- It's how Summer Nighttastic works, no matter which coast you're on.

Disney promised a Spacesip Earth refurbishment. The failed. Disney promised a Space Mountain refurbisment. The scale of time and budget was completely unacceptabe for an attraction of its condition.

This year, Disney promised you a Summer Nightastic, and told you exactly what to expect. They followed through.

Listen, everyone, I come from Disneyland, where things are done right. They never announced anything huge for Tower of Terror. What they gave us were new (or repurposed) effects, a new drop profile, and a few little things here and there. IMO, the changes were far bigger than things like extended hours for Pixie Hollow at Disneyland last year. Last year at Disneyland we got a new fireworks show, minimal changes to the electrical parade, some new things in Fantasmic! and a Pixie Hollow "Nighttime Enchantment". This year at WDW, you have a new fireworks show, the Main Street Electrical Parade, new games in TSM (correct?) and a new effects and drop profile for Tower of Terror. Small changes that provide enough of an excuse to visit the parks- It's how Summer Nighttastic works, no matter which coast you're on.

Disney promised a Spacesip Earth refurbishment. The failed. Disney promised a Space Mountain refurbisment. The scale of time and budget was completely unacceptabe for an attraction of its condition.

This year, Disney promised you a Summer Nightastic, and told you exactly what to expect. They followed through.
The usual comments from a Disneyland Fanboy. Nothing has changed on these boards since 2001.

TheBeatles

I rode the Cast Preview (several times) on Monday the 7th and also rode yesterday, June 9th and noticed a difference.

In the CM preview, the picture projected on the doors stayed up longer. Yesterday, the picture wasn't staying up for as long, the ghost transition effect seemed sped up, and once we got to the bottom of the shaft, our picture was randomly shown.

the-reason14

You're right! Riding past actual scenes is SO outdated. As long as I can 1. ride past fiber optic stars, and 2. see my own image while on the ride, I'm set!!
:brick:

Well, you ride past scenes through most of the ride. I'm not a big fan of the screens either, but common sense should tell you that this bright screen in your face should be where your attention is at.

RSoxNo1

The usual comments from a Disneyland Fanboy. Nothing has changed on these boards since 2001.

Sorry, but WDITrent is 100% correct.

Sorry, but WDITrent is 100% correct.
Its very sad also. Whos idea was it to cover the 5th dimension scene, its one of the main parts of the ride's story. Also i can see WOC replacing Fantasmic soon. The SM and Spaceship Earth refurbs failed because TDO is always taking the cheap route when it comes to fixing things up.

the-reason14

Its very sad also. Whos idea was it to cover the 5th dimension scene, its one of the main parts of the ride's story. Also i can see WOC replacing Fantasmic soon. The SM and Spaceship Earth refurbs failed because TDO is always taking the cheap route when it comes to fixing things up.

I guess I should wait and see before I bash you guys for thinking the ToT "enhancements" are bad as I haven't seen them yet and may feel the same way. However, I will feel better even if I don't like them just because I know its temporary.

As far SSE and Space mt. neither are fails imo. For years people were complaining about SM and when it was gonna get its refurb, and when it does people still complain. I know they could have done more, and my answer is not to just be happy. But in my eyes, even if they had done all that they said they were gonna do, people still would complain. And I can't see how anyone can say that SM's refurb was not an improvement. It may not be a major improvement, but it was an improvement nonetheless.

the-reason14

I don't like it. That's not me looking to not like it. I just don't. I don't find any fault with HM refurb, though.

Ok, well maybe not you, but some people seem to "not like it" so much, to where their trips are ruined just because they got bored of watching the video, and there aren't enough shiny things to look at while on their "return to earth."

WDITrent

I can respect that you don't like some of the changes. Just remember, this particular case wasn't the cheap way out of a new ToT experience. It was Disney seeing what they could do for a little bit of money to line it up as an smaller offering in a variety of Summer Nightastic attractions.

Tom

Beta Return
It happened but it isn't "bad show." Technical things like that happen every day everywhere. Not just at Disney.

OH!!!

I quoted him as being "sarcasm" because I thought he was making a joke about ride sponsorship. Now I get it. The projector broke and was displaying the boot-up screen.

Wow. That's funny.

HMF

I just love how things that would be considered minor enhancements in Disneyland end up with press releases and hyped beyond belief in WDW.

the-reason14

I just love how things that would be considered minor enhancements in Disneyland end up with press releases and hyped beyond belief in WDW.

Considering how small disneyland is compared to WDW, it's easier for the minor things to be tweaked. Also seeing as how many locals populate disneyland, small things have to be tweaked in order to keep them coming back.

WDW has more to worry about with all its space, so when minor things do come up(these enhancements and what not) they are hyped because they're often times rare.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom