Twilight Zone Tower of Terror Summer Nightastic drop profile details - SPOILERS

Tom

Beta Return
I thought someone said that they covered over the mirrors with some kind of surface to project onto, leaving only the edge lighting effect down the middle visible.

But if it's as simplistic as that, I hope they worked with the projector/video feed to eliminate the "keystoning" that occurs when you project onto an angled surface.

-Rob

Maybe that's it. Maybe it's a combination of everything. Mirrors are still there and no separate screen....but they adhered some sort of material to the mirrors themselves and project onto it.

That would explain a lot :)

Rob562

The best way to describe it imagine the doors to the 5th D open, and you get the impression you are lying on your back looking up the shaft instead of sitting down looking forwards. My first ever ride I got this straight away - the lighting was spot on and I found the effect very clever. It dosn`t have the same impact anymore.

Doing a bit more "armchair Imagineering" for a moment...

I wonder if they could replace the glass panes with LCD glass. As the doors open onto the 5th dimension, the glass is opaque with some kind of brickwork/elevator shaft projected onto it, helping to reinforce the "looking up the elevator shaft" idea. Then, as you start rolling down the corridor, the projections start to get all "Twilight-Zoney" until the point where the LCD glass goes clear and you can see the objects behind.

They've used LCD glass as an "on-demand" rear-projection surface for decades over at Star Tours (the screen where the ads are shown for other Star Tours destination in the first room), but it's in small, square panels there (most likely because that was the limit of the technology back in the early 90's). I'm sure nowadays they could very easily get large, cost-effective panels to replace what's in the 5th dimension scenes.

-Rob

Tom

Beta Return
Doing a bit more "armchair Imagineering" for a moment...

I wonder if they could replace the glass panes with LCD glass. As the doors open onto the 5th dimension, the glass is opaque with some kind of brickwork/elevator shaft projected onto it, helping to reinforce the "looking up the elevator shaft" idea. Then, as you start rolling down the corridor, the projections start to get all "Twilight-Zoney" until the point where the LCD glass goes clear and you can see the objects behind.

They've used LCD glass as an "on-demand" rear-projection surface for decades over at Star Tours (the screen where the ads are shown for other Star Tours destination in the first room), but it's in small, square panels there (most likely because that was the limit of the technology back in the early 90's). I'm sure nowadays they could very easily get large, cost-effective panels to replace what's in the 5th dimension scenes.

-Rob

Love it!

Tom

Beta Return
I just talked to my best friend who is in DHS for the second time this week with his family. He's ridden ToT 3 times and had some comments on the projection effect - although he's still not sure if he's experienced the new drop profile. My response was, "You'd know."

He doesn't see the world through rose-colored bifocals, and he still said the projection effect looked "really good". He said he knew what it was as soon as it was within eye-shot, and he could tell it was an image of their specific car, mirrored. It was that clear.

He said it appeared to be projected directly onto the bi-parting glass doors, and that it was actually a nice dissolve from the people to empty elevator to the white line (which always creeps him out). Whether there was a new material applied to the glass doors or not - he wasn't sure. But again, he said it actually looks good, which is contradictory to some of the reports on here.

His personal opinion was that the black star-curtains were probably to help block out ambient light in order to help the new projection effect...but he didn't object to the idea of there being construction behind them, but he said they also served a good purpose by helping to black-out the corridor.

Overall he gives the enhancements an A+, beginning with the black-outs in the boiler room. He's going to check it out a few more times tonight because he's there as part of the IBM Convention - and they've rented DHS tonight for a party.

devoy1701

I just talked to my best friend who is in DHS for the second time this week with his family. He's ridden ToT 3 times and had some comments on the projection effect - although he's still not sure if he's experienced the new drop profile. My response was, "You'd know."

He doesn't see the world through rose-colored bifocals, and he still said the projection effect looked "really good". He said he knew what it was as soon as it was within eye-shot, and he could tell it was an image of their specific car, mirrored. It was that clear.

He said it appeared to be projected directly onto the bi-parting glass doors, and that it was actually a nice dissolve from the people to empty elevator to the white line (which always creeps him out). Whether there was a new material applied to the glass doors or not - he wasn't sure. But again, he said it actually looks good, which is contradictory to some of the reports on here.

His personal opinion was that the black star-curtains were probably to help block out ambient light in order to help the new projection effect...but he didn't object to the idea of there being construction behind them, but he said they also served a good purpose by helping to black-out the corridor.

Overall he gives the enhancements an A+, beginning with the black-outs in the boiler room. He's going to check it out a few more times tonight because he's there as part of the IBM Convention - and they've rented DHS tonight for a party.

this either means all of us on here have incredibly bad vision, or they have improved the projection since the weekend.

raven

I rode it for the first time this morning and the projected image in the 3rd demension said "Panasonic." So I guess all the bugs aren't worked out yet. :rolleyes:

rodserling27

I rode it for the first time this morning and the projected image in the 3rd demension said "Panasonic." So I guess all the bugs aren't worked out yet. :rolleyes:
"You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance of things and ideas....That's the signpost up ahead, your next stop.....RADIO SHACK." - Rod Serling's new dialogue for SummerNightastic :ROFLOL:

RSoxNo1

Not sure if this is sarcasm or it actually happened. If it actually happened... horrible show.

the-reason14

yep.. this is why we keep getting crap like this. people have come to expect so little they love things like this SSE and discount space mountain. Maybe the next HM revamp they can cover the graveyard with tarps and call it a scary new scene.

There's nothing wrong with either SSE or Space mt. Sure they could have possibly done more. But that doesn't mean whats there is bad. So many people complain about SSE ending, and how there's nothing to look at, thats because you're suppose to look at the screen. And I'm sure it wasn't cheap installing screens on all the cars.

the-reason14

And also, this ToT change is temporary. It's not like it's gonna last until the rest of the year. It's a summer change. Personally, I don't mind the change from what I've heard as long as it's a summer event. I haven't seen any vids as I don't want to spoil it too bad for me, but remember that it is temporary.

Tom Morrow

There's nothing wrong with either SSE or Space mt. Sure they could have possibly done more. But that doesn't mean whats there is bad. So many people complain about SSE ending, and how there's nothing to look at, thats because you're suppose to look at the screen. And I'm sure it wasn't cheap installing screens on all the cars.
You're right! Riding past actual scenes is SO outdated. As long as I can 1. ride past fiber optic stars, and 2. see my own image while on the ride, I'm set!!
:brick:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So many people complain about SSE ending, and how there's nothing to look at, thats because you're suppose to look at the screen. And I'm sure it wasn't cheap installing screens on all the cars.
No, so many people complain because funding was pulled before the descent was completed. It looks incomplete because it is.

DonaldDoleWhip

yep.. this is why we keep getting crap like this. people have come to expect so little they love things like this SSE and discount space mountain. Maybe the next HM revamp they can cover the graveyard with tarps and call it a scary new scene.
Keep those ideas to yourself! You don't want to give TDO any ideas for next summer... :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom