Tusker House to become Character Buffet?

tigsmom

Actually, now that I've had time to think, what really bothers me about this situation is the fact that it's another Character BUFFET. I don't mind having characters around when I eat, and the mayhem and chaos that follows them. I just object to taking a pay-as-you-go, a la carte place and force-feeding you the same buffet fare.

I'm speculating they could be taking a page out of Boma's book, and they might possibly set it apart from the other bland buffets by making it African themed? Or do you all think they might retain some of the Rotisserie chicken and other food they offered there?

I wouldn't mind making a PS for the Tusker house, sitting down, having it be a sit down-character meal.. Would that be so bad? Why is it written in stone that all Character meals must be buffet style?

That would be inspired and if it comes to pass then I would be happy to try it out.

JimboJones123

If another Character Buffet wasn't needed they wouldn't put it in. Complain all you want. It is probably a decision made by necessity more than anything else. We hit 6 character buffets last trip and all the good times were booked solid 170 days ahead. So even in that 10 days, we were stuck with "off times". There is a need for more character meals. Especially ones that can possibly be walk up. Besides, the food will prob still be served there. So, if you really want it, go for it. If there wasn't a demand, this wouldn't be happening.

For those that though the H&V breakfast was overkill with Playhouse Disney, we were shocked to find out that the price was $22.99 per person. That is the most expensive price besides the castle. Most are $17.99.

Simple economics. We barely got into Restrauntasaursessis last trip on the last sitting, waiting for a total of 1 hr, 40 minutes after our schedualed time. So there is a need, and this is cheaper than building a new place.

Sorry if it hurts some peoples feelings, but it is a move they seem to need to make to make guests happy.

OmegaKnight

The Tusker House is one of the best quick service places on property. It would be a travesty if Disney actually went through with this idea.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If another Character Buffet wasn't needed they wouldn't put it in. Complain all you want. It is probably a decision made by necessity more than anything else. We hit 6 character buffets last trip and all the good times were booked solid 170 days ahead. So even in that 10 days, we were stuck with "off times". There is a need for more character meals. Especially ones that can possibly be walk up. Besides, the food will prob still be served there. So, if you really want it, go for it. If there wasn't a demand, this wouldn't be happening.

For those that though the H&V breakfast was overkill with Playhouse Disney, we were shocked to find out that the price was $22.99 per person. That is the most expensive price besides the castle. Most are $17.99.

Simple economics. We barely got into Restrauntasaursessis last trip on the last sitting, waiting for a total of 1 hr, 40 minutes after our schedualed time. So there is a need, and this is cheaper than building a new place.

Sorry if it hurts some peoples feelings, but it is a move they seem to need to make to make guests happy.
I hate to admit it but you are right. This goes along with the "Why does every ride end in a gift shop?" argument. They do it because that is what the consumer wants. It is just a shame that a great place like Tusker has to be a casualty of character breakfasts popularity. Lets just hope that the menu becomes like Boma than we will at lest still have great food.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Oh well, another favorite for casual dining, with some different offerings bites the dust. Character dining is popular I know, and fun...but save some quiet places for the rest of us....:(

dxwwf3

Well I guess I can cross the Tusker House off my list of favorite counter service spots. What a shame. I have no interest in doing any character meals, so I guess I'll never be eating here again. As mentioned before, why not do this to Pizzafari or Restaurantasaurus? They can always create another smaller pizza or burger joint, but there isn't anywhere else that has the Tusker House menu. Another question would be is the Tusker House big enough for a character buffet? It has been a few trips since I've been to the Tusker House, but I remember Pizzafari and Restaurantasurus being bigger places. I could easily be wrong on that one though.

PhilharMagician

This sounds like a great idea. Now finally it sounds like AK is going to be a extended hour park. With the addition of the Asia restaurant and the possibility of this makes me wonder what else is being thought about to keep people there later. Are they finally going to do something with all that stipped and undeveloped land by Rafiki's Planet watch?

AK is growing! :sohappy:

tigsmom

Oh well, another favorite for casual dining, with some different offerings bites the dust. Character dining is popular I know, and fun...but save some quiet places for the rest of us....:(

I love character meals, but I don't want every meal to be one. I just loved that we could walk in and get something other than a burger or chicken fingers. It was a nice quick meal, but not fast food.

I usually don't jump on the "no change" band wagon, but I really hope this doesn't come true. I love the food at Tusker House, not only does it taste really good, but it also provides a somewhat healthy alternative to the quick service burger and fries.

I can understand that character meals are very popular for families, but there also need to be sufficient options for those who choose not to attend these type of meals. I would agree that if they keep the same/similar food options and make it a nice sit down meal as opposed to the buffet, I might be more likely to check it out.

slappy magoo

I'm torn on this. On the one hand, if adding more attractions like Expedition Everest is increasing attendance, then there is bound to be a demand for more table-service eateries (though it does make me worry that Annual Passholders with the Disney Dining Experience will now see all their 20% discounts at AK counter-service meals dry up because now there's a table-service option). Plus, on busy days, it could be brutal trying to get food AND a seat, and another place that takes reservations would definitely help. But on the other hand, I found the food at Tusker House to be some of the best in WDW, counter OR table service. Their rotisserie chicken is incredible, as are their desserts. If this plan goes as planned, I sincerely hope that they continue serving the food they currently serve there, perhaps with more Boma-like options, rather than make it a Chef-Mickey's or Crystal-Palace style buffet.

Actually what I think would make the most sense (as far as I'm concerned, because I hate the polace so much) is to buy out the Rainforest Cafe from their location right outside the AK, and turn THAT into a character buffet destination, and leave Tusker House alone.

bayoutinkbelle

This does not make me happy and I'm an adult who has no problem doing character meals. TH was a spot I could count on for some good grub when I couldn't stomach another burger. Now this leaves me with Flame Tree as the only option (for now) in AK, a park I love. :(

Thankfully, I ate there last week. I didn't notice any changes at that time.

JimboJones123

I hate to admit it but you are right. This goes along with the "Why does every ride end in a gift shop?" argument. They do it because that is what the consumer wants. It is just a shame that a great place like Tusker has to be a casualty of character breakfasts popularity. Lets just hope that the menu becomes like Boma than we will at lest still have great food.

That's the first time anybody has said that to me....thanks....:eek:

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
So now my very comfortable ritual when at AK.....FP Everest, have a nice morning safari, stop off from some great coffee and breakfast (they already messed with the sticky buns....) has to be reworked...:(

And a nice alternative lunch escape from burgers and pizza....grilled salmon or turkey wrap and corn chowder.... :cry:

december

I understand the arguments against it, but I was very excited to read this! I have 2 kids that LOVE the character meals, and with the menus being so limited for kids, we love buffets. We did Donald's in July, and I wanted to try something different next time. To us AK was definitely an all day park (we loved it-could have spent more time there! We stayed from 8am until after 7pm!), so I wanted something there. I had thought about going to Boma after closing, but this would be great!:)

I just wanted to present another point of view.

dxwwf3

I don't think anyone is upset that they are adding a character buffet to the park. Actually I'm surprised it has taken this long to get one, but the problem is what they are taking away to get that buffet. It seems to be Tusker House would be the LAST place to consider a reworking like this. I personally like Flame Tree BBQ a little better, but Tusker House's quality for counter service is 2nd to none and it wasn't like the place isn't always crowded.

I think that is where people are so confused/upset about this news.

Blizz

Maybe I am the only one that sees this as a good thing. Animal Kingdom needs a sit-down restaurant. Not just one in the morning like Donalds. The Asia restaurant has been delayed and Rainforest doesnt cut it.

It is a smart move on Disney's part if they want to make Animal Kingdom anything more then just a half day park. I can see that they are finally starting to move AK in the right direction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom