Tusker House to become Character Buffet?

imagineersrock

Good point about the shows and I just thought of another one that kids like, "Flights of Wonder". I had overlooked all of those. Well, I guess in hinesight there is only one thing that AK hasn't had and now it is getting! A Character Buffet at Tusker House!

:wave:
Another good one! I completely forgot (Like most guests seem to do) about Flights of Wonder... Definitely one of the most under-rated shows on property if you ask me. It's a great show.

I really have no problem with the addition of a character meal--especially if it means longer park hours--I just hate that it might come at the expense of the existing Tusker House.

:wave:

dxwwf3

Another good one! I completely forgot (Like most guests seem to do) about Flights of Wonder... Definitely one of the most under-rated shows on property if you ask me. It's a great show.

If I had the choice, I would much rather watch Flights of Wonder than Festival of the Lion King. I also think it is vastly underrated.

lawyergirl77

I really have no problem with the addition of a character meal--especially if it means longer park hours--I just hate that it might come at the expense of the existing Tusker House.

This sums up perfectly how I feel about this change. I love the Tusker House, I will MISS the Tusker House (although certainly not its linups at lunch! :lol: ) but I can see why TPTB are doing this... I just wish they'd find somewhere else to put it!! :(

hcswingfield

This is the best, healthy, affordable counter service available in the parks. The rotisserie chicken is one of my favorite meals at WDW. I am truly bummed at the prospect of this going away.

d-r

1. Camp Mini Mickey. sure
2. The excevation play area. for 2 and 3 year olds?
3. The prehistoric dumbo ride. sure
4. Its tough to be a bug. terrifies many 2 and 3 year olds...
5. Rafiki's Planet Watch petting zoo. There are petting zoos everywhere

There is much more that my two-year-old enjoys at animal kingdom than at the studios, but maybe that is just him.

He enjoys:
safari
gorrilla trail
planet watch and petting zoo (and train there)
tiger trail
camp minnie-micky

The thing is he *really* likes those. Hasn't been to the dig sight or ttbab. I think he's ridden the spin ride. Let me be clear here. We are members at are local zoo and go a couple of times a month. He still really likes the animals at animal kingdom, and he really likes the petting zoo there. He is really interested in animals though.

I'll go ahead and expand that to the other parks, this is just my kid.

Studios:
He likes the characters around the hat. That's about it. He hasn't been able to make it through playhouse disney, the loudness gets to him. Haven't taken him to little mermaid, it is sort of dark and intense. He's not a kid in to "shows." He is ready to try muppets. The height requirement for honey I shrunk the kids is too tall for two's, but he'd really like it.

Epcot.
Spaceship earth is iffy.
Likes imagination ride, the explosion at the end is a little tough.
Likes living seas.
Loves mexico boat.
Loves running around in innoventions.
OK on the land boat ride, but he doesn't ask for it.

MK:
Fantasyland. Dumbo, teacups, peter pan, snow white, carousel, pooh, pooh's playground, small world. All big hits. He asks for all of these. This is the #1 favorite place. Not a fan of mickey's 3d movie at all.
Toon Town. Characters, mickey's house, barnstormer, train.
Frontierland. Country bears are OK sometimes. Tom Sawyer's island.
Adventureland. Jungle cruise, tree house, flying carpets, pirates. He likes all of these quite a bit.
liberty square. Haunted mansion is mostly OK
tomorrowland. people mover (a little iffy in the dark part), buzz (a favorite), speedway

So there is much more in magic kingdom, but animal kingdom is his #2. We usually spend more mornings at MK, then AK. Then an afternoon/evening or two in epcot and one in studios. Actually, storm-along-bay is his #2, but DAK is #3.

JimboJones123

I find it funny that lots of people are saying Disney is always ruled by "the almighty dollar."

If it bothers you so much, aren't you ruled by "the almighty dollar" even that much more? So they have found a way to make more money. Aren't you really mad because they have found a way to make you -- the customer -- spend more money?

If money didn't bother you, and if you really liked Tusker House that much, you wouldn't have any problem throwing down $30 a person for lunch there.

It's just a food stand. Disney doesn't "have to" offer burgers either, but they do. For the burger fan, be greatful. I would really love to have a sub place in every park. But they don't. Or even a better selection of Mexican food/Tex-Mex. I would throw down $15 a meal at least 4-5 times a trip. The taco stand sucks. But guess what. They don't have that, and I deal with it. If it was something "in demand" they would.

JimboJones123

OH, and whoever was the funny person that said more buffets conflicts with Disney's new plan for healthier eating.

COME ON!

REALLY?

That's what you've got to add?

Oh boy....

mickeysgal

bummer I hope it doesn't happen. Tusker House is my favorite counter service location at WDW (love that chicken!).

P9300155.jpg

Yummmm!!! that looks really good!!!

Anyway, looking at that plate I don't see anything that could not come from a buffet, and after checking both the breakfast and regular menu, I only found that the 3 sandwiches could not be found on a buffet. If they combined what could be on a buffet from their menu with other great choices, I'd think it would be a winner!

Besides don't they usually have a "test buffet" when they are going to have a "free dining option". Maybe this is one of those and will return to a counter service after.

Here's a question to those in the know....When they close the "test buffets" is it because they didn't work or that they are trying out all the options they can before deciding on a permanent location?

Also, do the use the building between Test Track and Mexico for anything?

I think that would be a wonderful spot for a character buffet and/or non character buffet. They could have stations with different foods guest's would find around world showcase. It would definitely solve my family's problem...everyone has a favorite place to eat and no one wants to compromise!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yummmm!!! that looks really good!!!

Anyway, looking at that plate I don't see anything that could not come from a buffet, and after checking both the breakfast and regular menu, I only found that the 3 sandwiches could not be found on a buffet. If they combined what could be on a buffet from their menu with other great choices, I'd think it would be a winner!

Besides don't they usually have a "test buffet" when they are going to have a "free dining option". Maybe this is one of those and will return to a counter service after.

Here's a question to those in the know....When they close the "test buffets" is it because they didn't work or that they are trying out all the options they can before deciding on a permanent location?

I think that would be a wonderful spot for a character buffet and/or non character buffet. They could have stations with different foods guest's would find around world showcase. It would definitely solve my family's problem...everyone has a favorite place to eat and no one wants to compromise!
It is primarily used for private functions and special events. Quite a few things are going on there right now for the Food and Wine festival.

autumndawn1006

Okay, I can definitely agree that more sit down meals would be needed at AK. But to play the Devil's Advocate at this being a better financial decision, what happens to the guests that didn't make reservations to the new buffet and can't get a seat? They could grab a snack from the snack stand, go to Asia or Pizzafari (thus doubling their business and making people leave frustrated), or go back to the hotels or another park. I think maybe Disney might be feeding less people with the buffet which might not be the best for profits.

I might be oversimplifying things, but is there not enough room or a budget to build a cool, character buffet? It could be so much fun to theme one from ground up to be a character buffet as well.

Mecha Figment

If another Character Buffet wasn't needed they wouldn't put it in. Complain all you want. It is probably a decision made by necessity more than anything else. We hit 6 character buffets last trip and all the good times were booked solid 170 days ahead. So even in that 10 days, we were stuck with "off times". There is a need for more character meals. Especially ones that can possibly be walk up. Besides, the food will prob still be served there. So, if you really want it, go for it. If there wasn't a demand, this wouldn't be happening.

For those that though the H&V breakfast was overkill with Playhouse Disney, we were shocked to find out that the price was $22.99 per person. That is the most expensive price besides the castle. Most are $17.99.

Simple economics. We barely got into Restrauntasaursessis last trip on the last sitting, waiting for a total of 1 hr, 40 minutes after our schedualed time. So there is a need, and this is cheaper than building a new place.

Sorry if it hurts some peoples feelings, but it is a move they seem to need to make to make guests happy.

For once I agree with you. Preach on

Mecha Figment

Well i'm going to spoil a little bit of the magic but Tusker House is a Prime location for character dinning becaue it is the absolute closest and most accesable to the characters. To put it in perspective, goof and the gang has to take a van around the back of the animal kingdom just to get to resterauntasaurus. it usualy takea about 30 minutes to drive it due to the speed limit, and if you get stuck behind a safari vehicle getting ready to go on the line it takes longer. Tusker is right there at teh parade gate and within walking distance to home base.

imagineersrock

Well i'm going to spoil a little bit of the magic but Tusker House is a Prime location for character dinning becaue it is the absolute closest and most accesable to the characters. To put it in perspective, goof and the gang has to take a van around the back of the animal kingdom just to get to resterauntasaurus. it usualy takea about 30 minutes to drive it due to the speed limit, and if you get stuck behind a safari vehicle getting ready to go on the line it takes longer. Tusker is right there at teh parade gate and within walking distance to home base.
Getting stuck behind a Safari vehicle isn't that bad... Unless it's a 40's truck, then it'll take you an hour! :lol:

mousermerf

Account Suspended

The Odyssey is/was a restaurant. It was a counter service -CHARACTER- meal. *dun-dun-DAH!*

It has a stage on the side that face toward the pond thingy and the bridge walkway. The characters did a song/dance show there intermitently.

Guests got their food from a counter along the rear wall. The seating is sort of tiered so every can see (that's why it keeps hosting the cooking shows and presentations for Food and Wine festival).

When i was little I saw Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Chip, Dale, and possibly Donald on that stage sing and dance. Then they came out and shook people's hands and went around to the tables. Mickey came to my table as did one of the Chipmunks.

I say "shook hands" with people because one of the Chipmunks (i dunno which) shook my hand really hard and it hurt and as a child I was scarred for life and disliked the chipmunks until I was an adult.

Senderella

My only argument with what you are saying is that it's "needed". Is it really needed? I don't think it would matter what Disney put where, in any park, it would more than likely work or be used or bought. But to take one of the best counter service restaurants on property and change it to this, I just don't see the point in it. Yes, the character buffets are popular as evidenced by your experience, but "needed"? I think it's more of a way that Disney can line their pockets with a few more dollars than they are getting now--and whether we like it or not, it will be popular. It's been interesting to see how the vast majority of board members here are against it. I'm surprised more have come out in favor of it like you.

The problem is, Disney is a business...not a service. Of course they're going to want to do whatever it takes to make more money to keep things progressing and keeping themselves (both personally and professionally) out of the red. I don't think the Disney Company does things just for the heck of it.. they obviously have people who research these sorts of things. Someone, somewhere has obviously seen there's a need for a table service/character meal at AK. Now, as far as the characters go, I agree with wanting it to be some of the less popular characters who would fit in with the AK/animal theme..as opposed to the Fab 5 dressed in safari garb, princesses, LK, etc etc. This isn't exactly a fiasco, guys. Project Runway's Tim Gunn would be saying "Make it work Disney" and they most likely will be able to pull it off.

Senderella

Wouldn't converting Tusker House from CS to Buffet be a contridiction to Disney's new policy of providing more healthy dining options.

Yeh , let's switch it over to all you can eat, heck with portion sizes !! Geeeeeshh. :hammer:

:lookaroun Umm.. it's all about personal responsibility. If you're looking for healthy options, they're there. If you're looking for portion control, go easy on that ladle. Just my opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom