Tta is open

ryno1982

While many people do enjoy Pirates and the Haunted Mansion simply for the attractions that they are, they do infact have very detailed back stories that make the experience exciting on a whole new level if you know the story. Pirates might be alittle off nowadays because of the Jack Sparrow Overlay, but if you've ever listened to The Story and Song of the Haunted Mansion from 1969, coinsiding with the opening of the original attraction (and pre Eisner mind you), every room and scene of that attraction makes sense and fits together. Rather than just seeming as if your touring the mansion, you feel like you're with Mike and Karen following the Raven to find a way out of the Mansion. That 25 minute recording featuring Pete Renoudet as the Ghost Host still gives me chills when I listen to it.

I would actually say that The Haunted Mansions backstory is the most ellaborate ever created by WDI...I guess you just never took the time to learn it.

(btw...BTMRR and the whole of Frontierland come in a close second in my book for best background story!!!)

Straight from the creators' mouth, there is no story for the HM other than it's a retirement home for ghosts. That's the beauty of the ride. You can make up a story if you want because the narrative is so loose. Obviously many have, but officially there is no story.

Mr.EPCOT

TTA isn't an attraction you can completely change and make it an E ticket or anything.

That hasn't stopped Disney from trying...
252%20Rocket%20Rods.jpg

CBOMB

All the Tomorrowland Transit Authority really needed was a good scrubbing behind the ears, and a couple of hugs. The lights were just a very big bonus. The simplicity of the ride is what makes it so endearing to so many people.

I give this refurbishment an A+, simply because WDI knew it was better to leave a charming little ride alone.

Magicot

I think that a good example of a backstory gone wrong would be Dinoland USA in AK:

"DinoLand U.S.A. originally started as a small highway town where an amateur fossil-hunter found some dinosaur bones in 1947. After contacting some scientist friends, they gathered their money together to purchase the site. Since then, scientist, volunteers and grad students have been living there trying to find answers about dinosaurs. The Dino Institute was founded and opened the site as a "fossil discover park". An old fishing lodge on the property became the Restaurantosaurus. Meanwhile, the Dino Institute discovered how to warp vehicles through time, and thus started doing time tours.

Chester and Hester, two locals, were determined to make a quick buck and converted their gas station into a fossil souvenir shop. Not to be out done by the Dino Institute, they created their own version of DINOSAUR named Primeval Whirl. They also added Triceratop Spin and the midway games."

It's great that they came up with this whole story, but I feel that its connection to the park guest is many times lost. Instead, the land just looks like a mish mash of carnaval games, a kids play area, DINOSAUR, and Finding Nemo: The Musical. :shrug:

donsullivan

Premium Member
I was always of the impression that the only reason they had to close TTA was the reported asbestos abatement from the ceiling of Space Mountain. They could not have guests inside the mountain while that work was underway (required by law). That part of the SM work is clearly done and now guests can again be safely routed through the mountain with views of the continuing construction obstructed.

That they replaced the lights seems consistent with the general energy saving efforts underway throughout the property to install more energy efficient LED lighting systems. That just seems to make sense while it had to be shut down anyway.

Slowjack

I, too, get annoyed with the overly complicated storylines that are lost on the majority of the guests. I think much of the stories are lost on guests because the presentation of these storylines is too expository. I much prefer the old-school WDI attractions that simply put you in the middle of the action and let your imagination explain what you're seeing. Pirates and Mansion didn't need explicit storylines to impress generations of guests (and I don't count the storylines that could only be found in the SOP guides).

Disney does well when it emphasizes theming over expository storytelling.
I agree. I think explicit "plotting" is a mistake. I think it hurts the re-ride experience. A good example for me is the Indy stunt show. The first time I saw that, the conceit that we were actually filming and the jokes with the plant from the audience were fine, but now I'd rather just see the stunts--and I notice that over the years the "we're filming" veneer has gotten thinner and thinner anyway.

I think lands should hang together--to be consistent in their theming, with facades that come from the same place in the imagination. But I don't think they need a plot.

EPCOT Explorer

Not a loop...but I was looking to get the godawful futuristic hair salon scene switched out. :dazzle:
Well, wouldn't that be a down grade?:shrug:
And I think it's sad that we applaud them for doing anything, even if it is small.

A nice change, no doubt, but nothing overly special.

If that's the only thing that changed on the ride, I give the refurb a C-.

So the list is:
Haunted Mansion: A+
Pirates: D
HoP: B+
IasW: B+
TTA: C-
Space Mountain: To Be Determined.:lol:
Please explain how a new kinetic and visual feature for an entire land is small.:wave::lol:

I just don't get that...
Caught me totally off guard. Thanks for the laugh.:wave:
:D Anytime!

Go to "Disney and more" if you want to be by Mystic Manor.
Seriously. It makes me VERY happy to see WDI putting out originality like that.

But it's not WDW....:cry:
Exactly! This was closed firstly for the SM refurb, TTA isn't an attraction you can completely change and make it an E ticket or anything. Most people pay no attention to the TTA except disney fans like us! (waiting for the, not about just the average guest, Disney accepts mediocracy, flaming!)
Thanks!

jt04

Because...it's lights.:shrug:

It's a nice little touch, but it's not going to make me wet myself with excitement.

I think the lights tie into to a longer range vision and plan. Are you trying to carry the water for 74 and con while they are gone?

The lights are quite an amazing add IMO!

I can't hold it in....

Way To Go TDO! :sohappy:

SirGoofy

I think the lights tie into to a longer range vision and plan. Are you trying to carry the water for 74 and con while they are gone?

:rolleyes:

Yes, longer range and vision. That's all I hear from you jt.

15 years down the road when the TTA gets a new scene I can see the post now:

"See! I told you 74! I told you there was a plan!"

devoy1701

Straight from the creators' mouth, there is no story for the HM other than it's a retirement home for ghosts. That's the beauty of the ride. You can make up a story if you want because the narrative is so loose. Obviously many have, but officially there is no story.

So the attraction opening in August of 69 and Disneyland Records recording the LP 6 months prior to that does not make that story line the official storyline? Not only does it contain most of the elements that you see in the ride, but it also contains alot of things that were planned but not produced. :shrug:

hmmm...

jt04

Even Evan is excited about D23 announcements. :shrug:

And all the stuff happening at Epcot too. And the TTA lights etc.

And the new kuka arms...........oh wait. :lookaroun

jt04

Not in 15 years BTW. Rather for the next 15 years. Starting yesterday (innoventions plaza).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom