TRON Lightcycle Overlay coming to WDW Monorails

Next Big Thing

I hope people that think this is such a "cool idea" will be as responsive when Disney starts plastering advertisements all over Spaceship Earth, Cinderella Castle and the Tree of Life. Never gonna happen you say? Too iconic you say? What would you call the monorails?

This is just the beginning folks. Buses, boats, ferries - All soon will look like minor league baseball parks.

They have been doing this for a while with the monorails the past few years with YOAMD and the celebrate you promotion. All this is is a little larger scale promotion. It may not be the best looking thing, but i think it sort of makes them look a little sleeker like DL's.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
They have been doing this for a while with the monorails the past few years with YOAMD and the celebrate you promotion. All this is is a little larger scale promotion. It may not be the best looking thing, but i think it sort of makes them look a little sleeker like DL's.

Those were a little different animal. While I did not like either of those promotions being draped over the monorails, I find this one more repulsive. It is tacky and ugly, and it sets a dangerous precedent.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I hope people that think this is such a "cool idea" will be as responsive when Disney starts plastering advertisements all over Spaceship Earth, Cinderella Castle and the Tree of Life. Never gonna happen you say? Too iconic you say? What would you call the monorails?

This is just the beginning folks. Buses, boats, ferries - All soon will look like minor league baseball parks.
Just the beginning? Disney has been putting add's in and on the Disney buses for more than 30 years. If this is just the beginning it must be one of the slowest start times in history.

captainkidd

Those were a little different animal. While I did not like either of those promotions being draped over the monorails, I find this one more repulsive. It is tacky and ugly, and it sets a dangerous precedent.

Exactly.

I can only imagine the uproar that will be forthcoming if monorail narration is changed, which it no doubt will on these trains.

captainkidd

Just the beginning? Disney has been putting add's in and on the Disney buses for more than 30 years. If this is just the beginning it must be one of the slowest start times in history.

Oh come on - How can you compare the 2? They put tiny little posters up on the inside of the buses. They don't change the outside to market to the entire world.

As for the outside of the buses, the only thing I've ever seen are balloons for WWYC or DVC crap. Not hardly has obtrusive or blatant as this.

devoy1701

i call SSE, the Castle, and Tree of Life the Park Weenies....the monorail does not fall into that category. Little bit of a different medium there.

captainkidd

spaceship-earth-fountain-12.jpg

Buried20KLeague

One thing I forgot to add, ....its temporary, but how temporary? I mean it's only March and the movie doesn't come out until December! :shrug:

Totally agree with Chris here.

I don't really care that much about this one way or the other... But WOW, it seems really early to be doing it for a December movie open.

captainkidd

Maybe this is Disney's answer to Harry Potter at Universal.

"Oh yeah - Well, we're remaking a crappy 80's movie and are gonna spray paint our monorails. Neener neener neener."

PurpleDragon

The way I look at it if adding more advertising around the parks increases their budget for park improvements and maintenance then I'm all for it(i.e. cleaning the monorail tracks, etc...).

Its not like the TRON overlay is a permanent change, it will remain that way till the movie is released in theatres and then they will go back ot their normal appearance or the next movie advert they decide to use. Lets be positive here people instead of always going:

"Everything should stay the same as it has been for the past 20 years, any change or deviation from that is evil and I don't like it....blah blah blah blah blah!!"

Geez sometimes readin posts on this board is like listening to a bunch of retirees complain all day about how things were so much better in their younger days and how they don't like change.:rolleyes:

captainkidd

The way I look at it if adding more advertising around the parks increases their budget for park improvements and maintenance then I'm all for it(i.e. cleaning the monorail tracks, etc...).

Its not like the TRON overlay is a permanent change, it will remain that way till the movie is released in theatres and then they will go back ot their normal appearance or the next movie advert they decide to use. Lets be positive here people instead of always going:

"Everything should stay the same as it has been for the past 20 years, any change or deviation from that is evil and I don't like it....blah blah blah blah blah!!"

Geez sometimes readin posts on this board is like listening to a bunch of retirees complain all day about how things were so much better in their younger days and how they don't like change.:rolleyes:

I don't think it's that black and white. Hey, change is necessary. Anyone who doesn't realize that is wrong. That being said, we all have different opinions of what should and shouldn't be changed. Some feel that the monorail isn't an icon and thus changes like this are OK. Some feel as though it is an icon, and should be left alone. That's all.

devoy1701

Or disneycandonowrong.com

Depends on your point of view.

Its just no wonder TDO doesn't want to do anything fantastic for us. We'll hate it no matter what.

We're getting a 25 acre expansion to MK ( i don't actually know how big the expansion is...)

"yeah but i heard the budget got slashed"
"no alcohol at the tavern"
"who wants meet and greets"
"interactive queue seems lame"
"they can't even give us an e-ticket"
"I don't even like Little Mermaid"
"pixie hollow is for little girlie girls"
"it's not HP land!"

lord have mercy!

PurpleDragon

I don't think it's that black and white. Hey, change is necessary. Anyone who doesn't realize that is wrong. That being said, we all have different opinions of what should and shouldn't be changed. Some feel that the monorail isn't an icon and thus changes like this are OK. Some feel as though it is an icon, and should be left alone. That's all.

But the way I read it is its only going on 2 monorails not the entire fleet, so that angle of the argument is a moot point. Most people here simply don't like change regardless of the positive impact it will have on WDW as a whole. There are a number of people here who feel that all the parks in WDW should be covered in plastic and left as they are for all eternity. This is supposed to be a fan site and I used to enjoy coming here to discuss excitement about new attractions, changes, etc... Now all I ever seem to see is people bickering about how they don't like the changes, or the lack of changes, or a rumor they read about, or a press release, or something. I see more negativity on these boards than anything else these days. Which is why I don't visit as much as I used to, it gets old after a while. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom