News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

The Pho

I wonder how guests are going to feel putting their personal items in a locker before riding TRON. It is that way in Shanghai, so I image it will be the same here. If so, this will be a first for an American park.

I am sure people will get used to it, especially anyone who has been to Universal. I understand why they are needed, and I am all for safety first, so looking at the big picture, it's not a big deal. That said, when I went to Universal, the lockers were one of my least favorite parts of those parks. Gringotts was the worst. I am not sure how this is handled in Shanghai, but I hope Disney does a better job with the lockers than Universal does.
That’s something I’m actually quite concerned with. The lockers, and those damn preride metal detectors, are the main reason I don’t go to Universal anymore. Hopefully Disney comes up with something better than locker chaos for this one, they certainly did for Flight of Passage.

Snapper Bean

I've heard this argument before and I would say that while a certain portion of the new on-site property rooms are cannibalized from offsite I do think that the availability of on-site hotels entices a certain portion of the population to go to Orlando when they otherwise would not have altogether. But this will be my last comment in this regard because we are thread drifting again.

jaxonp

That’s something I’m actually quite concerned with. The lockers, and those damn preride metal detectors, are the main reason I don’t go to Universal anymore. Hopefully Disney comes up with something better than locker chaos for this one, they certainly did for Flight of Passage.

Wow yea I didn’t even think about that. I feel like there’s a small storage compartment in front of you on the Tron Vehichle. Besides that, people with backpacks will need to find a spot to store it while they ride.

Rogue1138

I am sure people will get used to it, especially anyone who has been to Universal. I understand why they are needed, and I am all for safety first, so looking at the big picture, it's not a big deal. That said, when I went to Universal, the lockers were one of my least favorite parts of those parks. Gringotts was the worst. I am not sure how this is handled in Shanghai, but I hope Disney does a better job with the lockers than Universal does.

Few years back wife and I did a weekend at Universal. End of last day we wanted to hit the water rides and threw our stuff in the lockers by JP (pin entry, not fingerprint). Went on rides and came back to find out our locker was cleared out five minutes after we walked away. Universal claimed it never happens, Orlando PD says happens all the time. Lost her wallet, our camera, both our phones and a bag of loot we bought. People who took it were off property buying giftcards with my wife's credit cards within 20-30 minutes.

Anyone can do a better job than Universal. Didn't even give us a "sorry for the inconvenience".

PorterRedkey

Few years back wife and I did a weekend at Universal. End of last day we wanted to hit the water rides and threw our stuff in the lockers by JP (pin entry, not fingerprint). Went on rides and came back to find out our locker was cleared out five minutes after we walked away. Universal claimed it never happens, Orlando PD says happens all the time. Lost her wallet, our camera, both our phones and a bag of loot we bought. People who took it were off property buying giftcards with my wife's credit cards within 20-30 minutes.

Anyone can do a better job than Universal. Didn't even give us a "sorry for the inconvenience".
Sorry to hear that.

Rogue1138

Sorry to hear that.

Funny side story to this was since we were flying out the next day, we were freaking out since my wife lost all her forms of identification. So we wrangled up a copy of the police report and everything. Called the airline to explain the situation and they gave us a laundry list of what we need to get on the plane. When we get to Southwest's counter at MCO, we explain to the lady and she goes "It's fine. Happens all the time". Even TSA didn't care as long as I showed them our insurance card with both our names on it.

DonaldDoleWhip

Referencing the discussion a few pages back (re. Tron and Space Mountain both being indoor coasters in the dark): as someone who’s been to all the parks and experienced all the Space Mountains, they’re vastly different ride experiences.

Tron is actually fun and exhilarating. MK’s Space Mountain is painful.

Might not be what everyone wants, but this will be a great addition to MK.

doctornick

Referencing the discussion a few pages back (re. Tron and Space Mountain both being indoor coasters in the dark): as someone who’s been to all the parks and experienced all the Space Mountains, they’re vastly different ride experiences.

I haven't ridden Tron, but it is hard for me to fathom why people think they are similar except for an esoteric "this is the Shanghai replacement for Space Mountain" (so what?). Motorbike seating, bright colors, launch coaster, goes insight and outside versus sitting in vehicle, in the dark/entirely inside, lift hill, sensory deprivation. Themes are not even similar either except for "science" to a limited degree. They seem like pretty vastly different experiences to me other than being roller coasters.

I think the best argument could be that they shouldn't be placed right next to each other. But co-existing in the same park? Doesn't seem like an issue.

wdizneew

Wow yea I didn’t even think about that. I feel like there’s a small storage compartment in front of you on the Tron Vehichle. Besides that, people with backpacks will need to find a spot to store it while they ride.

There is a small storage compartment with a lid in front of you to put your smaller loose items into while you ride (circled in red).
Tron_Lightcycles_Power_Run_(29510933592).jpg

As for backpacks, there are storage lockers that you can rent or there are bins that the CM will wheel over to the unload platform (unless that has changed more recently).

jaxonp

There is a small storage compartment with a lid in front of you to put your smaller loose items into while you ride (circled in red).View attachment 345495

As for backpacks, there are storage lockers that you can rent or there are bins that the CM will wheel over to the unload platform (unless that has changed more recently).

Yep I thought so. I wish I would have known that but by my 4th ride I hadn’t figure that out. I’m sure there were instructions given in Mandarin that a I missed.

jaxonp

I haven't ridden Tron, but it is hard for me to fathom why people think they are similar except for an esoteric "this is the Shanghai replacement for Space Mountain" (so what?). Motorbike seating, bright colors, launch coaster, goes insight and outside versus sitting in vehicle, in the dark/entirely inside, lift hill, sensory deprivation. Themes are not even similar either except for "science" to a limited degree. They seem like pretty vastly different experiences to me other than being roller coasters.

I think the best argument could be that they shouldn't be placed right next to each other. But co-existing in the same park? Doesn't seem like an issue.

Yes. Exactly. A majority of poster complaining haven’t been there or claim they have. Tron is great.

justintheharris

I feel like this forum has gotten into the habit of finding reasons to complain. Yea nothing is perfect but sometimes I feel like there's absolutely no positivity on anything.
"Magic Kingdom needs a new ride!"
- adds a new ride -
"NO! An E ticket!!"
- adds an E ticket -
"NOO!! not a family ride. A THRILL ride."
- adds an E ticket thrill ride that is extremely popular overseas and many WDW frequenters would love to ride -
"EWW!! An IP tie in! And it's right next to Space Mountain! Another futuristic roller coaster! And it's not an original concept for WDW!"

Not to say I don't have my complaints from time to time but perhaps everyone should just be happy Magic Kingdom is getting a real legitimate roller coaster that the Six Flags and Cedar Point crowds might actually give some merit to.

180º

Speaking as someone who is stoked for Tron to come to WDW, it is not lost on me that there could be some ramifications, the most heartbreaking of which could be the potential continued neglect and/or eventual loss of Space Mountain. I think it is right to identify and discuss these negatives. I wouldn’t wish to come up with them for the sake of being critical; I believe they are valid concerns.

Casper Gutman

I feel like this forum has gotten into the habit of finding reasons to complain. Yea nothing is perfect but sometimes I feel like there's absolutely no positivity on anything.
"Magic Kingdom needs a new ride!"
- adds a new ride -
"NO! An E ticket!!"
- adds an E ticket -
"NOO!! not a family ride. A THRILL ride."
- adds an E ticket thrill ride that is extremely popular overseas and many WDW frequenters would love to ride -
"EWW!! An IP tie in! And it's right next to Space Mountain! Another futuristic roller coaster! And it's not an original concept for WDW!"

Not to say I don't have my complaints from time to time but perhaps everyone should just be happy Magic Kingdom is getting a real legitimate roller coaster that the Six Flags and Cedar Point crowds might actually give some merit to.

I read these boards a lot, and I have next to no idea where you are getting the “stupid complainers want thrill rides, not family rides” strawman. If anything, I think the sentiment on these boards is that WDW would benefit from new, lengthier, family-oriented AA-reliant rides of the kind on which the Disney parks built their reputation. Instead, Disney is preoccupied with extremely short, quite similar roller coasters that exclude portions of the guests in the park due to age, height, weight, or constitution.

And who gives a hoot if a Disney coaster meets the physical thrill standards of a Six Flags or Cedar Fair coaster? Those kinds of thrills are cheap, and there are a lot of places to get them - like Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks, which are much more numerous and easily accessible then Disney or Universal parks. Disney and Uni are supposed to offer something different (and yes, I’m shaking a very vigorous finger here at Uni and their disappointing JW coaster project).

Here’s a valid criticism of my position: I rail against the redundancy of GotG, Tron, Space Mountain, RnRC, etc., yet I would be more than happy with the construction of a dozen new Fantasyland-style dark rides - or the revival of the omnimover extravaganza of classic EPCOT. There’s some hypocrisy there. But in rebuttal, I’d argue that, in contrast to longer, show-scene heavy attractions, coasters in the dark with lighting effects don’t have a lot of tricks up their sleeves. There’s not a lot of there there. Toad and Snow White are in many ways quite similar, but their tones vary significantly - from the whimsically comedic to a traditional fairytale grimness. What’s more, coasters of the type WDW is obsessed with provide very little room for storytelling. One of the Disney parks’ great innovations was to see attractions as fundamentally narrative. Even thrill rides like Star Tours and (bracing for impact) Gringotts provide more engrossing stories than Disney’s dark coasters. So in the end, without story or tonal variation, Tron and SM really are just coasters in a warehouse with blinky lights.

Oh, and as to the basic premise of your post, that those ungrateful Disney fans complain about anything? Bring Mystic Manor or Shanghai Pirates or even Tokyo Monsters over here and see how many people on these boards complain.

Last edited:

Buried20KLeague

I wonder how guests are going to feel putting their personal items in a locker before riding TRON. It is that way in Shanghai, so I image it will be the same here. If so, this will be a first for an American park.

This was the biggest pain for us. And if it’s built the same way, not all lockers were protected from rain.

It’ll be interesting.

justintheharris

I read these boards a lot, and I have next to no idea where you are getting the “stupid complainers want thrill rides, not family rides” strawman. If anything, I think the sentiment on these boards is that WDW would benefit from new, lengthier, family-oriented AA-reliant rides of the kind on which the Disney parks built their reputation. Instead, Disney is preoccupied with extremely short, quite similar roller coasters that exclude portions of the guests in the park due to age, height, weight, or constitution.

And who gives a hoot if a Disney coaster meets the physical thrill standards of a Six Flags or Cedar Fair coaster? Those kinds of thrills are cheap, and there are a lot of places to get them - like Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks, which are much more numerous and easily accessible then Disney or Universal parks. Disney and Uni are supposed to offer something different (and yes, I’m shaking a very vigorous finger here at Uni and their disappointing JW coaster project).

Here’s a valid criticism of my position: I rail against the redundancy of GotG, Tron, Space Mountain, RnRC, etc., yet I would be more than happy with the construction of a dozen new Fantasyland-style dark rides - or the revival of the omnimover extravaganza of classic EPCOT. There’s some hypocrisy there. But in rebuttal, I’d argue that, in contrast to longer, show-scene heavy attractions, coasters in the dark with lighting effects don’t have a lot of tricks up their sleeves. There’s not a lot of there there. Toad and Snow White are in many ways quite similar, but their tones vary significantly - from the whimsically comedic to a traditional fairytale grimness. What’s more, coasters of the type WDW is obsessed with provide very little room for storytelling. One of the Disney parks’ great innovations was to see attractions as fundamentally narrative. Even thrill rides like Star Tours and (bracing for impact) Gringotts provide more engrossing stories than Disney’s dark coasters. So in the end, without story or tonal variation, Tron and SM really are just coasters in a warehouse with blinky lights.

Oh, and as to the basic premise of your post, that those ungrateful Disney fans complain about anything? Bring Mystic Manor or Shanghai Pirates or even Tokyo Monsters over here and see how many people on these boards complain.
There ya have it guys. The exact kind of negativity I was talking about it. And I would LOVE for Disney to bring Mystic Manor or Shanghai Pirates over to WDW so I can watch everyone complain about “we already have a Haunted Mansion kind of ride!” or “thematically it makes no sense!!” or “I’m so tired of screen based rides!” or “you’re replacing [insert attraction nobody cared about until now]?!? No!!” or "It's not an original concept to WDW!! They keep homogenizing the parks! UGH!!"
Yes, I believe these complaints would actually happen. This forum seems determined to find fault with every plan of Disney’s no matter how on bosrd with it they seemed with it initially.

Also, Space Mountain is 2 1/2 minutes and GOTG has yet to open so your argument about “short” roller coasters doesn’t have any leverage other than Rock N Roller Coaster and Tron.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
There ya have it guys. The exact kind of negativity I was talking about it. And I would LOVE for Disney to bring Mystic Manor or Shanghai Pirates over to WDW so I can watch everyone complain about “we already have a Haunted Mansion kind of ride!” or “thematically it makes no sense!!” or “I’m so tired of screen based rides!” or “you’re replacing [insert attraction nobody cared about until now]?!? No!!”
Yes, I believe these complaints would actually happen. This forum seems determined to find fault with every plan of Disney’s no matter how on bosrd with it they seemed with it initially.
And just imagine all the non-Chinese speakers who won't be able to understand anything being said on the ride!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom