News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

jaxonp

How do they compare to Universal setup? Is the locker area super cramped or is there room to get around other people who are getting in and out of the lockers? Would you say it was an organized process or chaos?

I never personally used them because I couldn’t get it to work the first time so I gave up. I believe the setup was better in terms of space but Universal system is easy to use.

PorterRedkey

Look for changes to the FJ lockers soon. Permits have been filed to move them
Cool. I understand the need for lockers, I just wish there was a better system for their use. Let's hope the new FJ and Hagrid's locker layouts utilize the lessons they have learned from their previous attempts.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There ya have it guys. The exact kind of negativity I was talking about it. And I would LOVE for Disney to bring Mystic Manor or Shanghai Pirates over to WDW so I can watch everyone complain about “we already have a Haunted Mansion kind of ride!” or “thematically it makes no sense!!” or “I’m so tired of screen based rides!” or “you’re replacing [insert attraction nobody cared about until now]?!? No!!” or "It's not an original concept to WDW!! They keep homogenizing the parks! UGH!!"
Yes, I believe these complaints would actually happen. This forum seems determined to find fault with every plan of Disney’s no matter how on bosrd with it they seemed with it initially.

Also, Space Mountain is 2 1/2 minutes and GOTG has yet to open so your argument about “short” roller coasters doesn’t have any leverage other than Rock N Roller Coaster and Tron.
While I appreciate resistance to group-think, we are indeed getting a "Music Manor type ride" in Ratatouille, MMRR, and RotR.

rle4lunch

While I appreciate resistance to group-think, we are indeed getting a "Music Manor type ride" in Ratatouille, MMRR, and RotR.

Yep. The nostalgia pixie dust for Mr. Toad, Snow White et al skews the purist viewpoint so much that they'll be blind to attractions like the ones you mentioned. They'll never be happy, and they'll never admit that Frozen, MB (DCA), and most likely RotR and GotG (Epcot) are terrific and better than what they replaced (not in the case of RotC of course). Instead, they'll get wrapped around the faux IP argument just so they can feel relevant on (egads) an internet message board.

Casper Gutman

The adulation for MM is about more than just the ride system. It is about the extremely skillful integration of AAs, screens, music, and other elements and an overall sense of the classic “Disney-esque.” Rat is a screen ride and is in no meaningful way MM-esque. From all indications, RotR is akin to or perhaps even superior to MM. MMRR may or may not be in the same league, depending on the final product.

In any case, I’m excited for all three rides. What’s more, I don’t see much complaining on here about any of them, save for the boneheaded decision to tear out a classic dark ride for MMRR, which is not a knock on the potential replacement.

Casper Gutman

Yep. The nostalgia pixie dust for Mr. Toad, Snow White et al skews the purist viewpoint so much that they'll be blind to attractions like the ones you mentioned. They'll never be happy, and they'll never admit that Frozen, MB (DCA), and most likely RotR and GotG (Epcot) are terrific and better than what they replaced (not in the case of RotC of course). Instead, they'll get wrapped around the faux IP argument just so they can feel relevant on (egads) an internet message board.

Or maybe they have different opinions from you and you could engage with those opinions rather then creating strawmen to dismiss them out of hand? I mean, is it more pathetic to go on an (egads) internet message board to engage critically with the artistic direction of a beloved and colossally influential cultural institution then it is to go on one and undeviatingly praise the decisions of a billion dollar megacorp?

By the way, you might want to actually read people’s critique of Disney’s focus on IPs. It’s a lot more nuanced and meaningful then simply dismissing every IP-based ride - which it doesn’t do.

As to the opinions you offered up as indisbutable facts: Frozen is better then Maelstrom but in entirely the wrong place, MB is not better than DCA’s ToT but the difference isn’t huge and the original wasn’t a classic (unlike MGMs), and RotR is almost certainly going to be an improvement over its predecessors. I don’t really want to get into all the issues with GotG now.

rle4lunch

Or maybe they have different opinions from you and you could engage with those opinions rather then creating strawmen to dismiss them out of hand? I mean, is it more pathetic to go on an (egads) internet message board to engage critically with the artistic direction of a beloved and colossally influential cultural institution then it is to go on one and undeviatingly praise the decisions of a billion dollar megacorp?

By the way, you might want to actually read people’s critique of Disney’s focus on IPs. It’s a lot more nuanced and meaningful then simply dismissing every IP-based ride - which it doesn’t do.

As to the opinions you offered up as indisbutable facts: Frozen is better then Maelstrom but in entirely the wrong place, MB is not better than DCA’s ToT but the difference isn’t huge and the original wasn’t a classic (unlike MGMs), and RotR is almost certainly going to be an improvement over its predecessors. I don’t really want to get into all the issues with GotG now.

I encourage opinion, but the VAST majority of folks on here instantly poo-poo everything to do with IP's beforehand, instantly making their point invalid. Disney was founded and created on IP's either created or bought by them. GOTG, the building, big screw up, I understand. I'll be seeing it firsthand in 102 days. I've been on this site for a while now (2012), and while that isn't by a long shot as long as many, but I'm savvy enough to realize that people on here love to throw hot garbage out as fact before a full evaluation of whatever it is they're trying to argue. In no way did I dis their opinion, I just said they were jaded and biased, and that, my friend, is the truth, no matter how you want to phrase it. I don't argue with people on these threads, because, well, it's pretty stupid to argue over the internet.

LSLS

Lol, they have a skewed opinion as you declare multiple rides that don't even have tracks yet are (most likely) terrific.

I'm actually not a nostalgia guy, but you really think Frozen is terrific? I'm not THAT upset they put Frozen in there (though I would have been happier if they just did the M&G instead of the ride as well), but terrific? Honestly can't comment on the other as I've never been to DL, and don't like those kind of rides anyways. However it's not a faux IP argument. You are going to have a tough time finding people that bashed Star Wars going in (many question the number of rides, but I digress). I'm not sure there was that much anger at Toy Story either (the concept). I have been onboard with using Inside Out in Epcot. Do things where they work. I'm not that against Tron (will depend how it looks next to Space Mountain), but there is no need to shoehorn IP everywhere. Rides can exist and be popular without it.

rle4lunch

Lol, they have a skewed opinion as you declare multiple rides that don't even have tracks yet are (most likely) terrific.

I'm actually not a nostalgia guy, but you really think Frozen is terrific? I'm not THAT upset they put Frozen in there (though I would have been happier if they just did the M&G instead of the ride as well), but terrific? Honestly can't comment on the other as I've never been to DL, and don't like those kind of rides anyways. However it's not a faux IP argument. You are going to have a tough time finding people that bashed Star Wars going in (many question the number of rides, but I digress). I'm not sure there was that much anger at Toy Story either (the concept). I have been onboard with using Inside Out in Epcot. Do things where they work. I'm not that against Tron (will depend how it looks next to Space Mountain), but there is no need to shoehorn IP everywhere. Rides can exist and be popular without it.

Terrific compared to the utter ridiculous and nonsensical Maelstrom. That value engineered hunk of crap should've never been created (IMO, lol)

No, it is a faux IP argument, case in point, people are clamoring for a Mary Poppins ride like it's the best thing since whatever.. The majority of people are happy that Rat is going in too.. Just because they have a country of origin associated with them that makes it okay? comon'. that's weak.

Toy Story is great, but they need to yank Buzz out and put something relevant into TL. Having the same IP strewn across multiple parks is uncalled for and lazy.

Tron will be a welcome addition to TL, even though placement is dumb. I'm not so much worried about placement though on that, as the aesthetics look awesome and will facilitate (hopefully) a nice refresh of the whole land to include the Speedway with new tech.

Rides can undoubtedly be great without IP, but sooner or later those rides become a profitable IP unto themselves, so whether their new or established IP's the argument is moot. Everything becomes an IP. Everything. Everything. Did I say everything? Because everything becomes an IP.

nickys

Premium Member
Terrific compared to the utter ridiculous and nonsensical Maelstrom. That value engineered hunk of crap should've never been created (IMO, lol)

No, it is a faux IP argument, case in point, people are clamoring for a Mary Poppins ride like it's the best thing since whatever.. The majority of people are happy that Rat is going in too.. Just because they have a country of origin associated with them that makes it okay? comon'. that's weak.

Toy Story is great, but they need to yank Buzz out and put something relevant into TL. Having the same IP strewn across multiple parks is uncalled for and lazy.

Tron will be a welcome addition to TL, even though placement is dumb. I'm not so much worried about placement though on that, as the aesthetics look awesome and will facilitate (hopefully) a nice refresh of the whole land to include the Speedway with new tech.

Rides can undoubtedly be great without IP, but sooner or later those rides become a profitable IP unto themselves, so whether their new or established IP's the argument is moot. Everything becomes an IP. Everything. Everything. Did I say everything? Because everything becomes an IP.

Hang on.

Maelstrom was c**p and should never have been created. But FEA is terrific?

You do know it’s the same ride?

lazyboy97o

You mixing and matching different people, positions and ideas to create straw men.

Bocabear

Hang on.

Maelstrom was c**p and should never have been created. But FEA is terrific?

You do know it’s the same ride?
While I am not a cheerleader for FEA (mostly because of it's location), the ride did change significantly enough where you can't really call it the exact same ride. Show scenes, animatronics and queue are far superior to what was ever there...It is a far superior ride... Though I just wish they had given us Arendell in the Magic Kingdom in place of the circus tents...

Missing20K

In no way did I dis their opinion, I just said they were jaded and biased
tenor.gif

aladdin2007

While I am not a cheerleader for FEA (mostly because of it's location), the ride did change significantly enough where you can't really call it the exact same ride. Show scenes, animatronics and queue are far superior to what was ever there...It is a far superior ride... Though I just wish they had given us Arendell in the Magic Kingdom in place of the circus tents...

too barren and sparse on the second level to get anything superior from me but...just an opinion. agree completely regarding location. oops sorry, please remain seated, back to Tron now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom