News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

EricsBiscuit

You’ve seen the refreshed versions? Projection mapping is hardly dated.
Yes. I especially think Alice got the best upgrade. But I'm talking more about Mr Toad, Pinocchio and Snow White. They're lots of 2D. But I think I've argued this point before. But The more I think about it, the more I realize that they fit the park they're in.

yensidtlaw1969

My podcast co-host explained it as follows, "it's a cool effect, but it's the opposite of charming". I think they are dangerously close to reaching the saturation point of projection mapping.
I feel like I know what you mean -- in the case of Alice I think the projections right at the beginning of the ride as you fall down the rabbit hole are off and away the most successful example mapping in the ride, and they were also an alluring improvement over what was there before. But the White Rabbit projection immediately afterward, while it didn't replace much, seems like a lateral move at best given the way it sits atonally alongside the blacklight nature of the rest of the ride's spaces.

From there the returns seem to diminish because the impact of the effect wears off and the mapping is frequently used less creatively. Although the Cheshire Cat mapping is another win, but mainly because it's a clever way to animate an effect. It's the projection that feels least like one in the whole ride - along with the splattering Paint of the Roses.

By the time we'd reached the projected teapots I'd nearly had enough of it. It's definitely easy to get carried away with projection mapping.

Snow White seems like an example where more restraint was shown and it benefits the ride. The Wicked Queen's transformation is more impressive than ever and total surprise to the rider -- and then the rain and lightning mapped over the finale livens up the otherwise mostly static climactic scene.

The water around Tiger Lily is nice, but I'm not sure any of the others in Pan were especially well integrated. Even Peter's shadow in the nursery seems more awkward now than before.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
My podcast co-host explained it as follows, "it's a cool effect, but it's the opposite of charming". I think they are dangerously close to reaching the saturation point of projection mapping.

Like screens and AAs, what's important is that they're done well, not how often. Right now, UOaT looks awful compared to HEA because of the older tech and it hurts to look at it now.

180º

I’m generally not a fan of projection mapping. At its worst, it looks obvious, gaudy, weightless, and washed out. Indy and fireworks shows come to mind. On the other hand, I like what they did with Alice and Snow White. Restrained use to great effect. Still, the impressive mirror transformation scene in SWSA isn’t the highlight of the ride for me – that honor goes to (and I’m dead serious) the painted flats. The murals in that ride are some of the most goregeous in any of the parks. Painted flats may be cheap, but not always tacky. The FL dark rides are a living example of the brilliant 2D art that inspired them.

This is tacky...

Disneyland_Monorail_Sunshine_Plaza_2007.JPG

...and this is tacky.

talespin-motor-boat-cruise.jpg

Tacky.

But...

snow-whites-scary-adventures_primary4.jpg

...this? And...

snow-whites-scary-adventures-01.jpg

mr-toads-wild-ride_primary4.jpg

mr-toads-wild-ride_primary6.jpg

332F913F-803A-4376-8CCB-C9975881CCF7.jpeg

...These? These are as close as we’ll ever get to riding into a painting. It’s not realistic, but it’s beautiful in its own way, and certainly not tacky (In my humble opinion).

Now, what’s this thread about again? :)

yensidtlaw1969

I think just like screens, projection mapping is best used in conjunction with physical sets to enhance the experience. See TDL Jungle Cruise temple scene.
Well, that is the difference between projection mapping and just a screen. And you’re right that it’s what makes mapping at all engaging, the way it interacts with a physical space.

That’s part of why a couple moments in Alice fall flat for me - no pun intended - the White Rabbit moment I mentioned, and the flowers blooming aren’t so much mapping as much as they are simply projection. But the trip down the rabbit hole and Cheshire Cat disappearance are mapped over physical sets and figures, and that’s where their success lies.

Castle Cake Apologist

Well, that is the difference between projection mapping and just a screen. And you’re right that it’s what makes mapping at all engaging, the way it interacts with a physical space.

That’s part of why a couple moments in Alice fall flat for me - no pun intended - the White Rabbit moment I mentioned, and the flowers blooming aren’t so much mapping as much as they are simply projection. But the trip down the rabbit hole and Cheshire Cat disappearance are mapped over physical sets and figures, and that’s where their success lies.

My only beef with the falling down the rabbit hole projections is the fact that the image cuts off very obviously toward the bottom on the left hand side of the first "swirl." I also agree that the white rabbit screen is kind of lame, but I do think the projections in the Golden Afternoon scene look fine. If all the flowers were projected now, it would look weird... but I like the mix of physical props and projections. The smoke effect for the caterpillar is pretty cool too.

EDIT: This is what I mean about the rabbit hole projection. It just doesn't feel like the first one is mapped very well at all:

alice problem.JPG

Kman101

It looks fine in videos. I guess it doesn't translate well in person? Most people seem to have loved the upgrades to Alice.

I think certain projection mapping is fine. They do seem to be overdoing it as the hottest new thing at the moment. It'll cool eventually when they find a new toy (drones?). One day we'll probably talk about how sick we are of drones used in a show.

I think the 2 minute projection mapping shows at World Bazaar in Tokyo is a great example of projection mapping that's not a clip show, even though you hear snippets of the song. It reminds me of a lesser Tree of Life Awakenings, which is also a correct and good use of projection mapping. I actually think using it to enchance the dark rides works too but not in every case. I also agree it works better on a physical set.

I think HEA is a great show, it's more than just a clip show to me. To me, Illuminations/Ignite the Dream/World of Color are clip shows, WOC gets a pass for a lot of reasons, but it's not exactly beloved. HEA, yes it has clips of movies but it doesn't feel quite the same to me (take away the projections and it's 15 minutes of great fireworks, which some people seem to ignore). I'm still not sure why Paris dumped Dreams for Shanghai's night show. It's impressive on some level but Dreams was better.

I guess we better get back to TRON ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom