News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Haymarket2008

If they (ever) give Space Mountain the rehab it deserves, I wish they would add some animation to the ever-static figures on the lift hill.

With all the unemployed animatronics they have now, I'm sure they could lego something together. (I'm thinkin' the recently fired T-Rex)

Maybe give those dummies in the control booth some automation at the top of the lift hill, that’d be pretty cool

The Empress Lilly

I’m generally not a fan of projection mapping. At its worst, it looks obvious, gaudy, weightless, and washed out. Indy and fireworks shows come to mind. On the other hand, I like what they did with Alice and Snow White. Restrained use to great effect. Still, the impressive mirror transformation scene in SWSA isn’t the highlight of the ride for me – that honor goes to (and I’m dead serious) the painted flats. The murals in that ride are some of the most goregeous in any of the parks. Painted flats may be cheap, but not always tacky. The FL dark rides are a living example of the brilliant 2D art that inspired them.

This is tacky...

Disneyland_Monorail_Sunshine_Plaza_2007.JPG

...and this is tacky.

talespin-motor-boat-cruise.jpg

Tacky.

But...

snow-whites-scary-adventures_primary4.jpg

...this? And...

snow-whites-scary-adventures-01.jpg

mr-toads-wild-ride_primary4.jpg

mr-toads-wild-ride_primary6.jpg

View attachment 277058

...These? These are as close as we’ll ever get to riding into a painting. It’s not realistic, but it’s beautiful in its own way, and certainly not tacky (In my humble opinion).

Now, what’s this thread about again? :)
Fab photo essay!

Those Gummi Boats are required reading for anybody who thinks 90s Eisner was Disney's golden age. Gummi Boats in, Horizons out, that was Eisner's Disney decade,

Skibum1970

I'll forgive them everything if only they remove that wuss brake before the final drop. :banghead: :cry:

Not me. They need to rip the coaster out and put in a new one with banked turns. I would eliminate the dual track configuration to utilize the building for one coaster. More drops, curves, and an overall smooth ride. Last time I rode SM in WDW, I thought that my knees or back would give out. The SM in Disneyland is so much more enjoyable. I can ride it without having to brace myself. It also feels like a complete ride whereas WDW's feels too herky-jerky and incomplete.

Tear this coaster out, Mr. Iger.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Not me. They need to rip the coaster out and put in a new one with banked turns. I would eliminate the dual track configuration to utilize the building for one coaster. More drops, curves, and an overall smooth ride. Last time I rode SM in WDW, I thought that my knees or back would give out. The SM in Disneyland is so much more enjoyable. I can ride it without having to brace myself. It also feels like a complete ride whereas WDW's feels too herky-jerky and incomplete.

Tear this coaster out, Mr. Iger.

Meg and Phil killed the project to do exactly that. Heck with the lights on you can still see the demo markups on the steel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom