News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Exactly.

They're valid concerns, and I was a bit dismissive towards @egg (and I apologize, wasn't my morning) but they don't seem like reasons the ride shouldn't be happening.
I'm also very aware of the capacity issues at MK that this doesn't help in the least and will probably make it worse, but again I can't over analyze everything. At some point, you just have to happy its coming to FL. I have been wanting this puppy since I saw its debut a few years back.

Kman101

I'm also very aware of the capacity issues at MK that this doesn't help in the least and will probably make it worse, but again I can't over analyze everything. At some point, you just have to happy its coming to FL. I have been wanting this puppy since I saw its debut a few years back.

Very solid point on the capacity. It doesn't help and that alone is probably the most valid reason it shouldn't happen. And yeah, people will flock to it, regardless so crowding will get worse. They really needed that theater, so I hope what replaces it can do the job. The problem remains they're so behind on capacity. If MK were where it should be, TRON would be a really nice bonus. I understand a lot of the *logical* reasons it shouldn't happen, the personal reasons are fine but to me not why it shouldn't happen.

I can't overanalyze everything either. I used to and it drained me. I never enjoyed anything.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Very solid point on the capacity. It doesn't help and that alone is probably the most valid reason it shouldn't happen. And yeah, people will flock to it, regardless so crowding will get worse. They really needed that theater, so I hope what replaces it can do the job. The problem remains they're so behind on capacity. If MK were where it should be, TRON would be a really nice bonus. I understand a lot of the *logical* reasons it shouldn't happen, the personal reasons are fine but to me not why it shouldn't happen.

I can't overanalyze everything either. I used to and it drained me. I never enjoyed anything.

Its tough not to analyze it at all, seems like most of the regulars here (including myself) are analysts by nature because we are so passionate about the Disney of the past and future, but I will back out of that mode for this attraction. :cool:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I guess I should have been more specific- planned location?
Sorry - the long mooted plot next to the pirates show building. The service road between Caribbean Plaza and the JC would have been the entrance / exit with a path and queue similar to Indy at DL leading to it.

A similar idea was mooted as a version of Villain Mountain for the Atlantis / 20K plot.

Last edited:

HauntedMansionFLA

Sorry - the long mooted plot next to the pirates show building. The service road between Caribbean Plaza and the JC would have been the entrance / exit with a path and queue similar to Indy at DL leading to it.

A similar idea was mooted as a version of Villain Mountain for the Atlantis / 20K plot.
Interesting - that would be a nice fit

gmajew

Take a look at it’s neighbour.

Wouldn’t Fire Mountain have been a better use of resources? As an example.

I agree we could have used something else somewhere else but them putting two E ticket attractions in the same area is not really new.... Splash Thunday... Tower and Aero.... Two Star wars rides coming... It appears they do it to draw the masses to these areas and maybe eliminate some crowding in the other areas for those not interested in E tickets yet.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No

I heard this was never green lit do to the movie being a poor $ maker along with the aftermath of 9/11 tourism taking a hit. Is there any truth to this? I feel like the timing was somewhat accurate.

Indy_UK

Take a look at it’s neighbour.

Wouldn’t Fire Mountain have been a better use of resources? As an example.

I think they can co-exist.

I think it’s the typical dammed if you do and dammed if you don’t. If they dulldozed Space mountain for Tron, the world would go crazy. But build it in underused land and then SM looks old and dated. They can’t win.

And where the coasters go I think should be more relating to the theme. I wouldn’t put one in adventure land and shove moana on to it just to help slightly even out the crowds more

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think they can co-exist.

I think it’s the typical dammed if you do and dammed if you don’t. If they dulldozed Space mountain for Tron, the world would go crazy. But build it in underused land and then SM looks old and dated. They can’t win.

And where the coasters go I think should be more relating to the theme. I wouldn’t put one in adventure land and shove moana on to it just to help slightly even out the crowds more

I don’t think anyone said shove Moana in a coaster in Adventureland.

Imagine if the speedway had been expanded and turned into an indoor / outside Tron themed drift Light Runners coaster.

mikejs78

Premium Member

I really wish they would have built Fire Mountain. I'd even take a varient of it with a Moana theme....

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Tron for MK was a bad deal but it could have been better IMO. As much as I dislike Tron in MK I dislike it's placement more. That's where they borked it. Not sure if it was ever considered (think they were more concerned with plopping it down and greenlighting) but the exec parking lot would have been a better location in my mind. Sightlines would have been easier to manage and the coaster wouldn't have been butted up next to Space Mountain. They could have created an alternate entrance essentially a new land in that area with Tron as the anchor. Atleast then Tron wouldn't be tethered to Tomorrowland continuing to diminish it's core theme. Not that it was ever considered but wouldn't a mini land featuring the IPs of Tron and Wreck it Ralph have been a better solution than shoving Tron into Tomorrowland next to SM?

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Tron for MK was a bad deal but it could have been better IMO. As much as I dislike Tron in MK I dislike it's placement more. That's where they borked it. Not sure if it was ever considered (think they were more considered with plopping it down and greenlighting) but the exec parking lot would have been a better location in my mind. Sightlines would have been easier to manage and the coaster wouldn't have been butted up next to Space Mountain.
This is the location that was considered when Magic Kingdom was pitched on co-financing the attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom