News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

matt9112

If he signed any kind of NDA, (and how in the would could he not in that line of work) he is playing with fire. We sign them all the time with the Big 3 (or 4) for concept vehicles and future products.

I witnessed what happened when another person from another companies crew posted a still from set of a prototype vette ... they took him for just about everything ... including what reputation he had ... and won. Product security is big (and serious) business.

so what do they do when the Chinese steal it all?....oh nothing you say.

matt9112

If its just a clone, then a majority of the leg work ( design, scope etc..) is completed. Why is it taking 3 years to build??

spread costs to some extent if we assume that the build material cost is fixed (for arguments sake) labor is cheaper when you can spread it out. also you can hit more quarters so the project never Boggs down one quarter and Bob doesn't have to answer questions from share holders.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Nothing wrong with retro. I think with a generous refurb to make the ride smoother, it can easily live along side Tron
Was just kidding around. The juxtoposition of 'space mountain is dated' with the image of Oswald and the 'retro' Nick struck me as very amusing. No offense intended.

rle4lunch

Was just kidding around. The juxtoposition of 'space mountain is dated' with the image of Oswald and the 'retro' Nick struck me as very amusing. No offense intended.

I just wish that MK's SM felt as fast as DL's. Especially when you get the 'slow' side track.

smile

Wow, way to cheapen something that deserves a bit more than screens and short motorbike. It really doesn't matter that its short IMO.

what else is it?

and it does matter that it's short -
granted, launched indoor coasters without stops are always going to be... but i think that's half the point

disnyfan89

what else is it?

granted, launched indoor coasters without stops are always going to be... but i think that's half the point

To be fair just cause a coaster is short doesn't mean its a bad coaster. Just look at the popularity of rides like Kingda Ka or the new S&S 4d Coasters.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
what else is it?

I've already stated I really don't care to trash or put any other negative spin on this. I wanted this one in FL, and we are getting it. End of discussing the negatives for me because for me personally, its a an awesome addition (while still realizing, its not a perfect fit for MK)

smile

To be fair just cause a coaster is short doesn't mean its a bad coaster. Just look at the popularity of rides like Kingda Ka or the new S&S 4d Coasters.

didn't say that - it's certainly fun and far better design/use of the premise than, say, rnrc...
i was alluding to the validity of someone questioning the choice of tron specifically in addressing mk/wdw's 'issues'

Last edited:

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
didn't say that - it's certainly fun and far better design/use of the premise than, say, rnrc...
i was alluding to the validity of someone questioning the choice of tron specifically in addressing mk's issues
Sorry I must have mis-read your post. Yes I agree its not a perfect fit and really belonged in say DHS as mentioned here earlier. I thought we were discussing the ride itself. Sorry about that.

matt9112

Wow, way to cheapen something that deserves a bit more than screens and short motorbike. It really doesn't matter that its short IMO.

am I making it cheap? or just speaking the truth? I didn't engineer it. I didn't decide it was good enough for Disney. I could never be on the board because I wouldn't accept mediocracy in the vein of raw profit. the "it's a business" argument is rubbish I'm pretty sure the oriental land company turns a profit.

look to be fair I like the outside astetics more so than many others here but the ride is so short and really brings nothing revolutionary to the table. the icing on the cake is how much the very futuristic and "pretty" show building and entry area "plaza" of you will is going to clash with the rest of 90s tommorowland. I REALLY hope they redo the rest of tommorow land (look wise) to blend in better. However attendance is through the roof and coherent themes won't generate revenue so I won't hold my breath.

GlacierGlacier

I'm sorry, what more are you all expecting to come from a dark launch indoor coaster? High-detail physical sets a la Imagination and Horizons cost an absolute ton to construct, and as such they let guests gaze over it for a long time with slow-moving omnimovers. With coasters, unless you slow down and stop constantly (which adds more stress to both the attraction and the passengers), most sets would be blown by in instants. No time to absorb the quality of the areas you're in during the coaster runs. As can be seen in videos, Tron makes up for the lack of heavy, high-detail sets in the coaster with the queue and loading areas. Beautiful areas that really sell the grid.

I mean look at other Disney indoor coasters. Space Mountain has no themeing outside of the Disco balls, the tubes, and the odd speakers next to the track (full soundtrack on DL, but again). The queue makes up for that (until you get to the maze on the loading platform). Rockin' has a detailed studio queue, and the loading/launch area is high quality, followed by the dark warehouse with 'cardboard flats.' Even DLP's Space Mountain is mostly void, partially stars, with maybe the best (up until Tron) internal effects. Look even at competitors - Gringotts is again, dark except for screens at slow bits.

I can't say for many other locations, but Tron is, from what I've seen, on or above the best for visual effects in launched indoor coasters. Hate on screens all you want, but you can't deny their effectiveness in that medium - and it's not entirely screens either. The mirror portion where it lights up half your train a different color to make it look like you're racing an enemy train? Totally clever and totally WDI.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom