News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

lazyboy97o

just to be clear folks,
i do believe he's referring to various seas of concrete and shanghai's 'meadows' as opposed to areas dedicated to greenery and exquisite landscaping...
least i'd hope so.
I am not talking about landscaping. I am talking about the organization and crafting of space. Expansion should be integrated into existing context, not some something plopped down on a swath of land.

rle4lunch

Here is my thought on redoing the Autopia. blow up everything... the current track, queue, and lawnmower cars. Make one track and have all the vehicles run on an electric guided rail, similar to Cars/Test Track... except vehicle loading is similar to the TTA. Step onto moving walkway in sync with slow moving vehicle... once loaded and vehicle leaves load area... it accelerates to a faster speed, and wider spacing, like TTA. The ride takes you past several scenes from Cars, but because of the footprint... you won't go fast like in California. The vehicle arrives back at the load/unload area and slows to Omni-mover speed for unloading. Single lane track would allow for a longer ride and room to build multiple scenes to 'cruise' past. Since the vehicles running are not as fast or large as the Carsland/TT ride system... it will be less prone to breakdown & replacing tires all of the time.

Downside = Cars 2 & 3 were not as well received and this IP redo will be expensive & may not give good ROI to the MK.

I think that speedway should be rethemed to "hover" cars using maglev technology. Running on a metal encased track, the driver still has control, but instead of having a middle guide track, the outside edges of the track would keep them on course. The driver would lose a bit of steering control, but it'd be negligible and would still fully control the throttle. Cast members would also be able to control the cars much easier on launch and retrieval due to them having ultimate control of the cars movement if need be.

It would be a large initial investment for the construction, but long term it would be relatively low cost for continuous operation. It would also match the tomorrow land theme, and even wedge it into a Tron aesthetic if they wish.

BlindChow

If they don't update Space by the time Tron opens they should upgrade it as soon as Tron opens or replace it.
I assumed they were putting Tron there to effectively replace Space Mtn. I wouldn't be surprised if after Tron opens, Space went down for a serious long-term overhaul.

I think the nostalgia for SM is more about the iconic-ness of the building rather than the ride inside of it. Whatever happens, they gotta keep the building.

smile

I am not talking about landscaping. I am talking about the organization and crafting of space. Expansion should be integrated into existing context, not some something plopped down on a swath of land.

agreed - we surely musn't have areas looking like poor photoshop, of course...
saying that, the speedway doesn't need to stay, either, as long as a replacement (or none) is properly integrated - but yeah, it's removal shouldn't be necessary for expansion.

LukeS7

Honestly, I think a good solution to the Speedway (if it's rethemed to Tron and changed to electric) would be enclosing it, allowing for another ride to be built over it, with maybe a short section outside but under the Tron canopy so it'd still feel like you're on "The Grid". Frees up land for another ride, makes for better/easier Tron theming if it's indoors, it's a win-win. I know that's probably Blue Sky though :rolleyes:

jimbaker84

building the speedway accordingly doesn't appear to be happening though. And even then I'd still probably rather something else.
Plenty of people still like the speedway in it's current form though, i think the best thing in this case is to remove the current gas propulsion and replace it with electric. Also add a more fitting skin and we're laughing for now. I would love the budget allocated for Tron to take in a new and vastly improved speedway but i am not holding my breath.

larandtra

Im warming up to the Tron attraction, but, would agree. The Speedway has to be scrapped or changed, Laugh Floor needs to be replaced, Somethign needs to go in Stitchs former home( Really wish they would do a new version of AE but that wont happen), Buzz needs a serious overhaul or move it to Studios in Toy Story Land and replace it with a new attraction, keep the TTA but clean it up and redo the little narration there, leave the Astro Orbiter, and then either relocate COP to Epcot and use the area for yet another new attraction, or just leave it as is. When Tron opens close Space Mountain and completely gut and redo the track system and make it a true ETicket coaster again. Treat this like the overhaul of Fantasyland. A COMPLETE redo and reimagine on the land. But between Tomorrowland, new Epcot, and Star Wars at Studios, Sci Fi and Space seems to becoming a huge lean and sometimes I wonder if its an easy way out. Not that Im complaining. Just an observation.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Just a reminder that not everyone hates the speedway - electric cars would be good, but for many kids being old enough to drive solo is a rite of passage:) It's not a great adult ride, it's not meant to be. Driving with my kiddos as they go from copilot or racing me? Priceless.

We're taking my 7 year old for his first trip in April. The ride he's most excited for after looking at pictures of many of the rides? The speedway. That and Star Tours.

EPICOT

Will this Tomorrowland overhaul ever be marketed as a singular update such as with FLE? Or will it be treated as individual projects that happened to occur around the same time?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Will this Tomorrowland overhaul ever be marketed as a singular update such as with FLE? Or will it be treated as individual projects that happened to occur around the same time?
Reboot of the land with separate elements.

Let me reiterate at this time TLF, Buzz, Space and Astro are not included. Did they even fix Astro’s neon over the last few months or just give up?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom