News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

hokielutz

I was always hoping for a retheme to DL's Autopia or realistically a Pixar Cars theme....more detailing, different theme....loads of plussing.....:happy: The sheer joy to "drive" a car when you are 6....woohoo!

Here is my thought on redoing the Autopia. blow up everything... the current track, queue, and lawnmower cars. Make one track and have all the vehicles run on an electric guided rail, similar to Cars/Test Track... except vehicle loading is similar to the TTA. Step onto moving walkway in sync with slow moving vehicle... once loaded and vehicle leaves load area... it accelerates to a faster speed, and wider spacing, like TTA. The ride takes you past several scenes from Cars, but because of the footprint... you won't go fast like in California. The vehicle arrives back at the load/unload area and slows to Omni-mover speed for unloading. Single lane track would allow for a longer ride and room to build multiple scenes to 'cruise' past. Since the vehicles running are not as fast or large as the Carsland/TT ride system... it will be less prone to breakdown & replacing tires all of the time.

Downside = Cars 2 & 3 were not as well received and this IP redo will be expensive & may not give good ROI to the MK.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
My current brain wishes they would just bulldoze the whole thing, but then I remember I loved it when I was a child...

I rode something similar when I was very young elsewhere and felt so beyond my years and tried so hard to not hit the center rail under the car....so yes for the kiddies it has a great charm, and I loved riding it with my children too....but I would not mind doing it in an more ecofriendly less smelly vehicle with a decent theming en route.......here's to hoping it is thought through and not just a byproduct of the Tron access.....:happy:

Marc Davis Fan

Writing this from my room at the Shanghai Disneyland Hotel, having spent yesterday at Shanghai Disneyland, so it's fresh in my mind.

Tron is a solid attraction, and will be a good and very popular addition to MK. However, the outside portion actually takes away from the immersion and overall quality - both onride and as a spectator. The queue does a great job setting up the "entering the grid" concept, the station and vehicles are fantastic, etc., and then the outside portion reminds us that we're in a theme park and this is a roller coaster (now we'll have yet another "visible coaster track" attraction at WDW!). I read somewhere that there are cultural reasons why it was necessary to include the visible coaster track in China, but I think it's unfortunate that that feature is being replicated here, rather than having the track fully enclosed. On the other hand, this is a minor quibble with what will be a very solid addition to MK.

aladdin2007

Writing this from my room at the Shanghai Disneyland Hotel, having spent yesterday at Shanghai Disneyland, so it's fresh in my mind.

Tron is a solid attraction, and will be a good and very popular addition to MK. However, the outside portion actually takes away from the immersion and overall quality - both onride and as a spectator. The queue does a great job setting up the "entering the grid" concept, the station and vehicles are fantastic, etc., and then the outside portion reminds us that we're in a theme park and this is a roller coaster (now we'll have yet another "visible coaster track" attraction at WDW!). I read somewhere that there are cultural reasons why it was necessary to include the visible coaster track in China, but I think it's unfortunate that that feature is being replicated here, rather than having the track fully enclosed. On the other hand, this is a minor quibble with what will be a very solid addition to MK.

Hope your having a great time in Shanghai there, must be quite something to see in person!!! Not a fan of the visible track format either but at least here it wont be right in the middle of Tomorrowland so to speak, but instead way in the back north portion past the speedway, I guess that could be one plus for the MK version.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Removed would have been nice, yes. Never? Wow...

What about shortening the Speedway? They can still theme it to Tron but with if shortened they'd at least have room to add "something" else. (I'm in the bargaining stage)

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Why should they? It’s not that big a problem from the companies point of view.

Plus it’s already been shortened three times.
Diminishing returns. Should have just removed it at this point. I guess shortening it again "would" be pointless. Still valued real estate though.

smile

Removed would have been nice, yes. Never? Wow...

What about shortening the Speedway? They can still theme it to Tron but with if shortened they'd at least have room to add "something" else. (I'm in the bargaining stage)

that's been the justification for tron all along...
by building it and theming the speedway accordingly - you don't have to remove the speedway!

boom

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
that's been the justification for tron all along...
by building it and theming the speedway accordingly - you don't have to remove the speedway!

boom
building the speedway accordingly doesn't appear to be happening though. And even then I'd still probably rather something else.

FrankLapidus

There are far more pressing concerns than the Speedway in Tomorrowland, IMO. I do think the land it occupies could be put to far better use but if the area is going to get an overhaul/improvement, I'd start with Laugh Floor and Stitch's Great Escape and go from there.

Tron might (and should, hopefully) be a step in the right direction. But it would only be one step in what should be a fairly comprehensive project Tomorrowland's issues are going to be addressed in the coming years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom