News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

_caleb

Was there really anything to cut from the Shanghai version? It's only like a minute long.
[Rushing to respond before @lazyboy97o has to respond-yet again--with "it's an exact clone of SDL's version]

Nothing on-ride that we know of, but the pathway leading up to the ride, the signage, building cladding, and some of the landscaping/ambient theming are different, as well as the train tunnel. Some rumored changes to lockers.

Notice SDL's multi-level walkways:

Attachments

• tron-lightcycle-power-run-shanghai-disney-exterior-1.jpg
    tron-lightcycle-power-run-shanghai-disney-exterior-1.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 90

JoeCamel

[Rushing to respond before @lazyboy97o has to respond-yet again--with "it's an exact clone of SDL's version]

Nothing on-ride that we know of, but the pathway leading up to the ride, the signage, building cladding, and some of the landscaping/ambient theming are different, as well as the train tunnel. Some rumored changes to lockers.

We saw the track before they put the building up. It's the same

UNCgolf

Well the Shanghai version is the centerpiece of the land. The canopy makes a lot more sense there and works better -- it still looks cool at the Magic Kingdom, but it's hidden from even like half of Tomorrowland. The design doesn't make as much sense tucked back into a corner, and they don't have as much room as they had at Shanghai either.

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

Well the Shanghai version is the centerpiece of the land. The canopy makes a lot more sense there and works better -- it still looks cool at the Magic Kingdom, but it's hidden from sight even like half of Tomorrowland. The design doesn't make as much sense tucked back into a corner, and they don't have as much room as they had at Shanghai either.
Yup, in Shanghai the entire concept and design was purpose built for the specific land, view from the entry points, and integration of the other buildings. The fact that WDI decided just to just pick it up and plop it down next to Autopia and Space Mountain and say "Done!" is one of the most embarassing creative decisions in a very long line of recent embarrassing decisions.

The idea that any Disney theme park fan defends this is frankly beyond me. It would be like saying "Hey, that volcano at Disney Seas is pretty popular, why don't we just plop that down where the sub lagoon/autopia is in Disneyland? Bam!"

They truly just have stopped caring and the fans who respond with "But it goes wheeeeeeeeeee and it is better than nothing!!!' only fuel it.

Prince-1

you know what i find funny? I've been going to WDW since 1971 and not once have i ever cared about the train. I mean i love hearing the whistle and seeing it drive around but i dont think ive ever been on it.......

Glad its going to be back but who cares

Another great post. :rolleyes: You must be fun at parties.

Rich Brownn

The Disneyland version with it's two drops, Skeleton caves, Blue Bayou prologue all add up to a much more engaging experience... Having grown up going to WDW, I was blown away by my first ride on the Anaheim version... Why didn't they build the same length attraction? And it would have been amazing in the 70s to have had a Blue Bayou type indoor restaurant...or themed more appropriately to Blue Lagoon like the Paris version. The other thing that is not mentioned is the Shanghai has an EXTENSIVE Pirates LAND surrounding the ride...Restaurants, Theater and show, Ships pulled up in a harbor with a coast littered with old shipwrecks... This all adds to the experience. While WDW has more of a Pirates area than Anaheim, it pales in comparison to Shanghai and Paris.
We were never supposed to have Pirates,so no room was set aside for it (Ours was to be the Western River Expedition). When people kept asking where Pirates was WRE got canned and
as much as they could squeeze in they did. Plus the Imagineers always hated the way you had to trudge back up to the lagoon at the end so that was cut too.

vikescaper

Has there been any word on if the Tomorrowland BGM will change once Tron opens? Other sites have posted videos with the Tron BGM playing and it sounds out of place in comparison to the current Tomorrowland loop.

Smiley/OCD

Has there been any word on if the Tomorrowland BGM will change once Tron opens? Other sites have posted videos with the Tron BGM playing and it sounds out of place in comparison to the current Tomorrowland loop.
And they are going to have to change the narration on the steamboat also because it makes mention of Chickapin Hill…

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom