News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Californian Elitist

I do agree with this to an extent, I believe that theres a lot missing when you don't actually physically ride it. However, a lot of rides no longer exist or are too expensive for the average joe to travel to. That's where videos are useful.

I once showed someone Martin's "Journey into Imagination" videos and he loved those videos compared to other footage of the ride because they were so high quality compared to the fan vids he originally found. The only way he could have experienced the attraction was from fan videos. To him, originally JII was a terrible ride because the low quality footage made it seem like a lower quality attraction than it was originally.

That's the power of videos.
I’m definitely not saying there shouldn’t be ride-thru videos or that people shouldn’t watch them. I’m saying videos shouldn’t be used to come to official conclusions about a ride experience. You can have initial thoughts, but, personally, I would never take anyone’s opinion regarding a ride they’ve never actually ridden seriously. There’s no merit.

I watched a video of MK’s Pirates on YouTube prior to riding it in May. It didn’t look that great, but I never formed an official opinion until I rode it for myself.
So does this mean you unofficially believe you would enjoy Shang over MK??
Yep.

eddie104

WDW pirates is literally exactly the same as DL’s with a few missing scenes and features. Also the order in which they occur may be a little different. Other than that this whole debate is completely overblown.

Personally I would love for the Shanghai’s pirates ride system to show up here in a new ride.

In my opinion this a non topic because this isn’t the POTC thread and should be about the upcoming Tron attraction.

Sharon&Susan

WDW pirates is literally exactly the same as DL’s with a few missing scenes and features. Also the order in which they occur may be a little different. Other than that this whole debate is completely overblown.

Personally I would love for the Shanghai’s pirates ride system to show up here in a new ride.

In my opinion this a non topic because this isn’t the POTC thread and should be about the upcoming Tron attraction.
If you ignore the 50% of the ride that is missing, they're actually exactly the same
/s

ChrisFL

Premium Member
DL's Pirates is FAR superior to WDW's except maybe the queue. I haven't been to Shanghai but the videos I've seen from their Pirates is insane. I kinda wish there was a combo of both the old school Pirates ride stuff like the village area and scenes like that then go into the crazy Shanghai stuff.

Californian Elitist

How is it both exactly the same and yet also has missing scenes and features?

They are not exactly the same. Not even close.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

If you ignore all the things that are different, they are exactly the same. ;)

SpectreJordan

I think Gringotts is one of the biggest blunders in recent theme park years, alongside Fast and Furious, due to its parking in front of screens, failure to set expectations properly, ride's substance primarily delivered through screens, and lack of excitement.

That opinion is undoubtedly a minority opinion among the GP, maybe not here, but regardless.

I don't think Shanghai POTC or Tron fail to set expectations properly, which is a HUGE part of whether or not a ride is perceived as good.

Shanghai's POTC entrance is nondescript, lacks a preshow, and delivers a masterclass experience.

While its canopy is far from subtle, Tron's exterior shows it's a fast-moving launching coaster. It delivers the excitement that it should. My ONLY issue with Tron's interior experience (queue, ride, loading, etc.) is its meager length. The experience is so fun and aesthetically cool you want more. Tron isn't a game-changing experience. It attempts to secure the cool and fun factor, and I believe it does very well. If a ride leaves you wanting more, it generally means it's a good ride (in Tron's case, I think it took this a bit too seriously).
I definitely agree with you on Gringotts. I rode it for the first time in October & I was severely disappointed; that might've been intensified since I rode Velocicoaster & Hagrid's for the first time in the same day. The queue was better than the ride which plays into the expectations not being set part.

I also agree that the "wanting more" aspect is very important to a good ride. If you experience something & want more of it, then it's left an impression on you. That's important to spread word of mouth & to get repeat customers. For example, I actively want more of Velocicoaster & Hagrids; meanwhile, I'd be fine if I never rode Gringotts again.

I'm hoping I agree with you that Tron fits into these criteria when I finally get to ride it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
WDW has the highlights version :)
1671196905838.png

ToTBellHop

Not far off. Remember how you'd have the two pictures and have to spot the DIFFERENCES? I'll be like, "oh, there would be AA heads over there in the DL version!" or "in Disneyland, that skull used to be a REAL skull!" or "in Disneyland, someone threw me a dinner roll right here!" or "in Disneyland, this was about 10 minutes longer and longer is always better!" or "in France, this would be in French!" or "do they even have this ride in Tokyo? No one ever mentions it."

Last edited:

Bocabear

The Disneyland version with it's two drops, Skeleton caves, Blue Bayou prologue all add up to a much more engaging experience... Having grown up going to WDW, I was blown away by my first ride on the Anaheim version... Why didn't they build the same length attraction? And it would have been amazing in the 70s to have had a Blue Bayou type indoor restaurant...or themed more appropriately to Blue Lagoon like the Paris version. The other thing that is not mentioned is the Shanghai has an EXTENSIVE Pirates LAND surrounding the ride...Restaurants, Theater and show, Ships pulled up in a harbor with a coast littered with old shipwrecks... This all adds to the experience. While WDW has more of a Pirates area than Anaheim, it pales in comparison to Shanghai and Paris.

orky8

So, not literally exactly the same?

doctornick

While I disagree with your phrasing, I actually tend to agree with your basic point. DL's POTC is certainly superior to MK but the difference is not nearly as big as many people often suggest. The big difference in ride length is mostly filler for DL especially in the beginning of the ride - where MK has the superior queue which serves the role of setting the scene and ambiance that the early part of the ride does in DL. The key scenes of the ride all all present in MK except the shootout as is of course the iconic music.

Blue Bayou is cool that is exists but that really enhances the restaurant experience more than the ride. I never hear anyone talk about how awesome it is that you pass a restaurant when riding Gran Fiesta Tour (for example) because it's a cute quirk when on the ride not some seminal quality.

Californian Elitist

While I disagree with your phrasing, I actually tend to agree with your basic point. DL's POTC is certainly superior to MK but the difference is not nearly as big as many people often suggest. The big difference in ride length is mostly filler for DL especially in the beginning of the ride - where MK has the superior queue which serves the role of setting the scene and ambiance that the early part of the ride does in DL. The key scenes of the ride all all present in MK except the shootout as is of course the iconic music.

Blue Bayou is cool that is exists but that really enhances the restaurant experience more than the ride. I never hear anyone talk about how awesome it is that you pass a restaurant when riding Gran Fiesta Tour (for example) because it's a cute quirk when on the ride not some seminal quality.
The extra scenes in DL’s Pirates aren’t “filler.” The cave scenes are there to show the aftermath of piracy: dying with essentially nothing. MK’s queue doesn’t do an equal job of setting up the “prelude.”

lazyboy97o

The extra scenes in DL’s Pirates aren’t “filler.” The cave scenes are there to show the aftermath of piracy: dying with essentially nothing. MK’s queue doesn’t do an equal job of setting up the “prelude.”
No, they are filler. It’s filler that turned out really great but those scenes were considered filler. That’s why they were cut from the ride in Florida and elements incorporated into the queue. At the time, the Magic Kingdom ride was not viewed as the shorter version, it was the improved, more focused version that didn’t waste a bunch of time getting to the actual ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom