News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

James Alucobond

It does kinda seem like 2 paths but I wonder if the not underpass path will be for guests.
Yeah. The pathway definitely seems to have an organic opening that doesn't lend itself to being blocked easily, and the path is more manicured than a typical backstage pathway, but I was assuming that was simply because it would still be visible to some degree while entering the underpass. Seems weird that they would route guests directly past that service building, especially since they went to great lengths to hide it from the overpass with an elevated planter. Also, the path currently just kind of haphazardly intersects with the ramp toward the Speedway, making me think it's only supposed to look stage-ready from a distance (see terminus in third tweet above).

UNCgolf

Now, I’m looking at these photos and I’m wondering why they crammed TRON into that space.

This is probably my biggest issue with it.

I don't think TRON is an especially good ride and it's definitely not what the MK needs -- it needs a long, people eating attraction, not a 60 second long ride with average at best capacity -- but hey, it's a new attraction at the MK that isn't a replacement, so that's not a bad thing.

But the placement just doesn't make any sense, especially with the canopy and plaza. That canopy is supposed to be a centerpiece, not something tucked back into a corner that's only visible from a couple of places. If TRON was going to go there, they should have made more significant changes to the design so it would be a better fit. It almost feels lazy.

mm52200

I don't think TRON is an especially good ride and it's definitely not what the MK needs -- it needs a long, people eating attraction, not a 60 second long ride with average at best capacity -- but hey, it's a new attraction at the MK that isn't a replacement, so that's not a bad thing.

But the placement just doesn't make any sense, especially with the canopy and plaza. That canopy is supposed to be a centerpiece, not something tucked back into a corner that's only visible from a couple of places. If TRON was going to go there, they should have made more significant changes to the design so it would be a better fit. It almost feels lazy.
It almost feels lazy because *it is* lazy.

_caleb

In photos from Shanghai (I haven’t been), their version has a grand approach—it almost reads like a TRON plaza—with tiled pathways, trees, and access along the width of the attraction’s front face.

But this (and I know it isn’t complete yet), because it’s tucked into that spot as it is, seems to only have one single point of access? Maybe I’m missing something. And, like you said, the approach isn’t a grand reveal, but almost a hidden corner. Strange.

UNCgolf

In photos from Shanghai (I haven’t been), their version has a grand approach—it almost reads like a TRON plaza—with tiled pathways, trees, and access along the width of the attraction’s front face.

But this (and I know it isn’t complete yet), because it’s tucked into that spot as it is, seems to only have one single point of access? Maybe I’m missing something. And, like you said, the approach isn’t a grand reveal, but almost a hidden corner. Strange.

Yeah, it just doesn't fit the location and they didn't bother changing the design to make it fit.

Plus, not only does it only have a single point of access, it's a pretty narrow bottlenecked path between the Tomorrowland Light and Power building and the Speedway to get there from Tomorrowland. I guess you may also be able to get there from the Storybook Circus path on the other side, but the design will make even less sense from over there.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yeah, it just doesn't fit the location and they didn't bother changing the design to make it fit.

Plus, not only does it only have a single point of access, it's a pretty narrow bottlenecked path between the Tomorrowland Light and Power building and the Speedway to get there from Tomorrowland. I guess you may also be able to get there from the Storybook Circus path on the other side, but the design will make even less sense from over there.
With TRON likely being VQ/ILL, it won't have a standby line. Just scheduled riders. That should ease bottlenecking.

Also, elite park goers will take the WDRR at the entrance, to Fantasyland, and then the 'secret' path to TRON!

UNCgolf

With TRON likely being VQ/ILL, it won't have a standby line. Just scheduled riders. That should ease bottlenecking.

Also, elite park goers will take the WDRR at the entrance, to Fantasyland, and then the 'secret' path to TRON!

For some period of time, sure -- I don't think it will be solely VQ for too long, though. I assume Tiana will become the VQ attraction once it opens.

Last edited:

celluloid

The Guardians of the Galaxy situation where it often has a boarding groups waiting an hour and an crowds checking in, hanging out and families waiting for their riding members of their party to get off says otherwise.

Rteetz

No one has said it *needed* 3 more months.

WDW wants the ride to debut in 3 months. Not because of it needing 3 months, but because of marketing.

Of course, that was under a previous regime's timeline. Things can change.
The previous regime is still mostly intact. The only change was Chapek (that would be remotely parks related). Joshie is still here.

azox

I have to agree with one of the twitter posts. The view from the flyover walkway just before you enter the ride is going to be horrible. You will be seeing all kinds of back stage stuff. They worked so hard to keep things looking great at the entrance, but what will it look like at the top? Maybe they can plant more trees?

JoeCamel

I have to agree with one of the twitter posts. The view from the flyover walkway just before you enter the ride is going to be horrible. You will be seeing all kinds of back stage stuff. They worked so hard to keep things looking great at the entrance, but what will it look like at the top? Maybe they can plant more trees?

A couple of good sized DVC kiosks will block those views nicely.....

I think the blue circles will be planted as well

plant.PNG

fgmnt

DL and MK were built with the towers and the flanking show buildings as the focal point of the land. TDL and SDL were built with their coasters as the focal point. Tomorrowland in both of these parks are overdue for a some fundamental redesigns that they will not receive any time soon.

I think if they replaced the P&L building with a smaller building, replaced the Speedway with a smaller attraction and water feature (Aquatopia?) and made the rest a plaza... a whole lot of ifs to get it to work better.

Think of how much better this would have fit if you tore down the UoE building and put this down as the anchor of the Digital Frontier pavilion, and built a Guardians ride in the South TL building and into the old Galaxy Palace Theater space.

Oh well. Thanks Bob!

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
For some period of time, sure -- I don't think it will be solely VQ for too long, though. I assume Tiana will become the VQ attraction once it opens.

Tiana Mountain will open (easily) a full year after Tron opens. Has any WDW ride utilized VQ for more than one year? I don't think so, but I'm not sure. Regardless, Tiana Mountain taking the VQ from Tron wouldn't be in any way unprecedented or a surprise if/when it happens.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but wouldn't that take (substantially) longer than just walking straight from the entrance of the park through Tomorrowland? Just trying to understand what the benefit to this would be... unless you are implying that MK would use this path as an extended queue for Tron after it comes off VQ (much like they used the bridge back towards Africa at AK as an extended queue for Flight of Passage). In which case, yeah, the train might be an option.

The first time I visited MK as an adult I remember the long walkway from Storybook Circus to Space Mountain and thought it was really strange that they basically had this undeveloped portion of the park.

There used to be places in each of the park where (no matter how busy the park was), you could go and find a relatively empty/quiet area where you could escape the crowds and just chill for a few. This path used to be one of those places, the pathways around the tree of life, the back portions of several of the pavilions in EPCOT, certain areas around Streets of America... sadly, these "quiet" areas are slowly disappearing...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom