News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

RSoxNo1

Advertisement
Guardians had a pretty much out of control cost that’s been reigned in. Even under control it is a considerable figure.
For some reason I had 350 mil in my head. Perhaps that was from an early conversation?

dennis-in-ct

That's a good question. I know what the MK version cost is. It is a very large sum, only currently eclipsed by the Guardians of Epcot project.
I thought the whole point of building the same attraction in multiple parks was to make the rides more affordable. I would think the MK version would be much cheaper than Shanghai due to the existing engineering and building plans - etc

marni1971

WDW History nut
Premium Member
I thought the whole point of building the same attraction in multiple parks was to make the rides more affordable. I would think the MK version would be much cheaper than Shanghai due to the existing engineering and building plans - etc
The MK budget would include site prep and clearing, additional designs unique for the MK like access, wages, materials priced in US dollars and the like. I dare say it also includes some if not all of the speedway project. At least I’d hope it does.

lazyboy97o

You cannot use a design for one country in another. Any savings are in knowing the show the configuration but there is still a lot of design work involved. Labor and materials in the US are also more expensive.

britain

Still can’t wrap my head around Tron being more expensive than “kitchen sink, rock work galore, hundred+ AAs, new gold standard of eTicket” battle escape.

Or was that just GOTG cost, not Tron’s?

Or is the price of battle escape cut in half because Disneyland and WDW are sharing the costs?

Clamman73

I don't know if this has been asked before....is this getting the same light show treatment or just too far back within Tomorrowland for it???

lazyboy97o

I'm fairly certain we've had 100% inflation since then.
Not sure how but I made a mistake, Time Traveler is opening this coming spring in 2018. Time Traveler is a great example of Disney’s inflated costs. Slinky Dog Dash is costing more than twice as much. Both are Mack Rides launch coasters with two launches. Both are opening in 2018. Time Traveler is being built on a wooded hillside in Missouri versus a relatively flat, open site in Florida. Transportation costs from the same factory in Germany would likely be higher going to Missouri as it is further inland. Average construction costs are also higher in Missouri than in Florida. All those factors that make Missouri more expensive to build and Disney is spending more than double on a similar roller coaster.

cheezbat

This is Disney just being Disney. Sick, way overinflated prices...nothing should cost anywhere near $350 million. If parks like Cedar Point can build a 310 foot tall, 6,500 foot long Coaster for under $50 million, and Carowinds can build Fury, a 325 foot tall, nearly 6,000 foot long Coaster for around $50 million too, there is NO reason Disney should be paying anywhere close to even $50 million for a Vekoma launch coaster that's 78 feet tall and only 3,000 feet long. Add a building, special effects, screens, sound system, and a cool canopy with lighting effects, the whole thing should come in no higher than $150 million.

Their budgets make me sick.

Top Bottom